What the hell do I eat?

Ok y'all I'm confused. I just want to lose weight but there are SO many diets and rules out there. Here are my stats:

5' 2"
182.4lbs
37% body fat
Poor - I spend about $50/week for 2 adults. Thankfully my husband is on board to eat whatever I do.

I've lost 7lbs by dropping sweet drinks and cutting carbs. I'm still so confused though. How many carbs is too many? Is diet soda ok? What sugar substitute won't give you cancer? How the hell do I function on 1200 calories? Am I going to hell because my eggs aren't free range?! IDK!!!

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Stop trying making things more complicated than they need to be. Worry about calories and get a handle on that. I lost over 40 lbs focusing on cals alone. I did watch sodium but, that was only because I have kidney disease. Carbs only matter if you have certain medical issues. Diet soda is good for most Ppl but, I gave it up because I felt addicted to it. I drank it while I lost most of my weight though. Get a food scale and weigh all your solids and measure all your liquids. It is that simple.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    1) too many carbs are when the carbs you eat prevent you from hitting your protein and fat goals or prevents you from achieving performance goals, or aggravates a medical condition.

2) yes

3) none are proven to directly cause cancer. See here for info on the most common sweetener: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary

4) you may not be able to. Many people try to lose quickly, and they usually can't maintain their energy levels on the amount of calories they are intaking. Be sure your rate is appropriate for how much you have to lose, and realize that exercise calories get added back.

5) no.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Ok y'all I'm confused. I just want to lose weight but there are SO many diets and rules out there. Here are my stats:

5' 2"
    182.4lbs
    37% body fat
    Poor - I spend about $50/week for 2 adults. Thankfully my husband is on board to eat whatever I do.

I've lost 7lbs by dropping sweet drinks and cutting carbs. I'm still so confused though. How many carbs is too many? Is diet soda ok? What sugar substitute won't give you cancer? How the hell do I function on 1200 calories? Am I going to hell because my eggs aren't free range?! IDK!!!

To lose weight, you must be in a calorie deficit. You don't have to cut out any foods as long as they fit into your calorie goal. Going over on carbs is not an issue unless you have a medical condition. If you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight regardless of what you eat.

Diet soda is fine. It is zero calorie so it won't impact your weight. Aspartame (found in diet soda) causing cancer is a myth. Research shows it not carcinogenic.

1200 calories may be too low for you (depending on how active you are). Buy a food scale and weigh ALL of your food (even prepackaged) to ensure you are actually eating at a deficit (measuring cups/spoons and estimation are not accurate and can lead to eating more than you think you are).
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    I'll just add that you might not need to drop your calories quite so low at this point, if you find that you are feeling starved on that amount. Congrats for losing 7 # :) I find on 1200 calories I do best with higher protein food - lean meat (I look for sales on chicken, pork loin), lean fish (more spendy), cottage cheese, greek yogurt, eggs (yeah I agree, you're definitely going to hell ;)). If you find it easiest to cut carbs to make your deficit that's fine - vegetables like green leafy, broccoli, green beans, etc have good fiber to total carb ratio. But on a budget, beans just might be your friend too at least for a meal here and there.
  • JasonInNJ
    JasonInNJ Posts: 1 Member
    I've found that cutting out refined carbs helped me to curb my cravings to where 1,500 a day (for a 44 y/o male) is sufficient, even with a 5K run most days. I dropped about 25 lbs since late January.

Now I'm adding some carbs back, but mostly in small doses -- limited to no more than about 20grams at a time. I'm a bit hypoglycaemic. If I eat sugar, I crash and need to eat 2 bags of skittles to recover.

On a budget, while not super healthy (has nitrates), I'd take a slice of spam which I "fry" in the microwave. It has a lot of flavour and leaves me feeling fine. I also drink coffee with one container of half and half and 1 sweet and low.

On other days, I'll make a 2 egg omelette with just a modest amount of cheese.

For lunch, chicken or tuna salad (canned chicken or tuna) and I use lite mayo. On top of lettuce or whatever vegetables.

For dinner, either canned, frozen or fresh vegetables and if you are looking to save money, maybe a cube steak or some low cost beef patties without a bun.

Leave some extra calories open for night time snacking. That's my downfall, so I try to get to 9pm with at least a 500 calorie deficit. Then I can go to sleep on a full stomach. :D
  • Canuckgirl77
    Canuckgirl77 Posts: 123 Member
    You can eat anything you want, as long as it fits the calorie goal MFP has given you. There's no need to follow a specific diet if all you're looking for is weight loss.

I live in a tight budget as well so I know the difficulties. Depending on where you live, you're likely to save a bunch of money by making your own food. Plus, you know exactly what's in it and can calculate the calories. The best advice anyone here will give you is to get a FOOD SCALE. This will make or break your journey. I bought mine for $15 and have had it well over a year.

I don't like soda so I can't advise you about that. I eat "regular" eggs bc I cannot justify buying a dozen for $8. Nothing wrong with carbs - they are in everything and your body needs some to function well. You'll have to start playing with proportions to know what suits your body. 1200 calories may not sound like a lot but if you're eating less calorie dense foods then you will feel very full on that.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited May 2016
    Ditch the rules! Most of us feel best on our slight deficit with the focus on protein and veggies first, then fill in the goal for the day with healthy carbs/fats. We all know what "healthy" food is by now, just eat as much as you can of real food, but use what works for you. There is no one size fits all. There is no cookie cutter diet that fits everyone. That's why all the diets fail.

Just find what you like. Start logging it. Try to keep it somewhat balanced and then within your caloire goal for the day. Roll with how your body feels and tweak as you go along. That's how we all learn what is best for us. A good place to start is 40/20/40 on the protein/fat/carbs then adjust to what feels best. Every day does not have to be the same. Some days you can have a bit higher on certain macros than others.

Most of us need at least one day a week of eating up to maintenance to keep our hormones stable and prevent binging, especially females.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    As others have said, there is only one rule: calories in/calories out.
  • zugunruhey
    zugunruhey Posts: 31 Member
    Something I've returned to again and again when I try to stick to my calorie goal but still feel hungry at the end of the day is 'did I get enough fiber and protein?' On days where I stay hungry the answer to that is usually no. Instead of focusing on specific diets try upping your protein and fiber consumption. Eating more fruits, beans, nuts, lean meats, and veggies are a great way to feel full. Nuts do have a decent amount of fat in them but as long as you restrict it to a small handful per day it's not bad for you; your body also needs healthy fats to feel full.

If you haven't tried edamame before I recommend it, it's super easy to cook (just dump a frozen bag in boiling water) and tastes great with a variety of spices or just with plain salt. Roasted chickpeas or hummus also make a great snack, and chickpeas are a double whammy of protein and fiber. Even popcorn is a good source of fiber as long as you reduce the amount of butter you use.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    edited May 2016
    The egg never knew if momma was free range or not.

Lol but I'm going to have to disagree with this. The eggs I get from my mother's neighbor are definitely better quality than the eggs I used to get at Big Y Buy 1 Get Two Free. Those eggs's yolks broke all the time, etc.
  • OutlawAsylum
    OutlawAsylum Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you all SO SO much!! I feel a lot better. Y'all are a Godsend. :-)
  • shancourcy16
    shancourcy16 Posts: 49 Member
    Since you are on a budget I would suggest making your meals based on what's on sale at your local grocery store. I also spend $50 for two, and I will buy chicken and other lean meats when they are on sale and freeze so I have them ready. Also meal prepping your lunches in advance has helped me quite a bit! I plan out all of my meals for a week based on the sales flyer and only buy what's on my list so nothing goes bad and I have everything I need for my meals! Best of luck!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Eat food. Probably less junk than you were eating if you have long term goals. Move more. Make good choices. If you have no idea what good choices are. The south beach diet phase 2 (or 1) is a good place to start for a long term eating plan. Good luck!
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    I'd suggest skipping the diet soda, but for budgeting reasons rather than weight loss reasons. Even if you only spend a dollar a day on pop, by the end of the week you could buy two or three pounds of chicken breasts with your savings.