Vegetarian meals?

Options
skimmel8
skimmel8 Posts: 1 Member
I'm trying to get good protein in my diet which is a struggle being vegetarian. I eat peanut butter, whey shakes, and soy meat almost daily but I'm looking for recipes. Any suggestions?

Replies

• rhsdancer5
    rhsdancer5 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I don't eat very much meat at all, maybe chicken every once in a while. But I like to eat black beans, almonds/almond butter, some breads have a lot of protein, fish (I don't know if you eat it though), and eggs!
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian but I like to include meatless meals now and then. This http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/lentil-stew-with-winter-vegetables lentil stew is a particular favorite. The flavors are pretty subtle and it is extremely satisfying, nutritionally. I also really like this http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/spaghetti-squash-with-white-bean-provenal Spaghetti squash with white beans Provençal. I have eaten both recipes with added goat cheese and without - I like 'em both either way.
  • PaigeInTechnicolor
    PaigeInTechnicolor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with edamame. Also, fat free greek yogurt. Both are mostly protein, and yummy besides. Use yogurt like sour cream or mix with spices for a "cream sauce" I made a lovely stroganoff with mushrooms, veg broth, garlic and stir in yogurt...tastes decadent, but actually low cal (depending on what you put it on) and chock full of protein. Also top salsa and yogurt on top of black bean burgers... try seitan if you don't have any gluten issues. It's super-versatile.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I made an amazing black bean soup for dinner tonight.

- 2 cans black beans, drained + rinsed
    - 1 cup diced carrots
    - 1 diced onion
    - 1 diced bell pepper (any color)
    - 1/2 jar is salsa (just use your favorite kind)
    - 1 tsp cumin
    - 1 tsp chili powder
    - 1 cup veggie broth

Directions:
    Throw everything into the slow cooker and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook for three hours. Pulse with an immersion blender a few times, until the soup gets creamy, but still has big chunks in it. Serve with cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips.

I got six servings off of it. About 170 calories and 10 grams of protein per serving.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    We don't eat much meat at supper. Beans FTW! Por ejemplo:

Lentil Salad (lentils cooked al dente, chopped carrot, onion, jalapeno; dress with olive oil-lemon-mustard-salt and pepper) so much better than it should be.

Black Beans and Rice and Plantains

Channa Masala with another indian veg and rice

Coconut milk & red lentil dal

Pinto beans refried for tostadas, burritos, or bowls.

Greek Salad with garbanzo beans and potato salad

We use a lot of eggs, too, and put whey powder in smoothies- I do eat meat but we have some vegetarians in the household, meat isn't a staple for us. Are you vegetarian or vegan? An omelette or couple of boiled eggs is a good way to quickly add some protein. Peanut butter seems more oil than protein to me, is that really a good source?
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Seitan! Food of the gods.

Egg whites, cottage cheese, low fat greek yogurt, tofu, tempeh.

It's expensive, and not that great imo if I'm being honest, but check out explore asian black bean spaghetti and the other variants they do. They can be OK with a nice sauce.

I'm veggie and last week I was doing low carb as an experiment and I was eating 180g protein in under 1800 calories no problem, and I rarely had protein shakes. It can be done.
  • Shayes2006
    Shayes2006 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Beans, lentils, and quinoa (keen-wha) are great sources of non-processed protein. I heard that combos like corn and beans, rice and peas make a complete protein. However, I recently read the person who wrote that said nope, you don't have to eat them together.

As for the quinoa, it is best if you toast, then cook with your favorite spices/broth. My kids aren't fans. However, they don't mind the flour when it is used in things like gluten free cornbread.

The best bean burger recipe I almost follow is out of "Isa Does It." All of Isa Moskowitz's books inspire my cooking and baking.

Good luck!
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Definitely add in Greek yogurt and cottage cheese, a nice vegetarian protein powder, lots of beans and legumes. I average 90g of protein each day on a 1380 calorie/day diet. Occasionally I eat fish, which of course, increases my protein intake.
  • msnicky67
    msnicky67 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Im vegan and tonight I made a one pot lentil and quinoa with spinach. Very easy and simple. It boasted 18g of protein per serving. I use Pinterest for ALOT of my meals and snacks to get the amount of protein that I need. Good luck!