Not enough exercise?

Options
Missycvt
Missycvt Posts: 422 Member
I feel like I should be doing way more exercise. I'm pretty sedentary, and I just started interval training again today. I worked out for 30 minutes including the stretch and warm up/cool down. Now I'm just sitting here and I feel really tired. I did my workout this morning on the treadmill, intervals of walking fast and running fast. Now I'm bored and I feel like I should keep moving but I am sleepy. Should I push myself to do more exercise? I feel like I'm not doing enough. I really would like to workout more throughout the day, or at least twice a day. How much is enough?

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Zero minutes is enough if your only goal is weight loss.

For health, the recommendation is 150 minutes per week of moderate exercise.

I personally do 3x per week of about 1 hour, with half strength and half HIIT. And I do a lot of walking and hiking, but that's for pleasure, not because I feel like I need to.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    What do you really think about what you did for exercise today? Do you feel that you got in a great workout and completely satisfied with the effort you put into it? The answer to this question is all you need to answer..

I exercise twice a day. I run in the mornings and lift later on. It works for me and my goals.

Do you have specific exercise goals? Are you just trying to burn calories? Are you looking to get totally fit and mean and lean? In other words why do you exercise?
  • Missycvt
    Options
    Have you lost weight just by doing this and a healthy diet?
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Me? Yes, I'm down by about 110 lb so far.
  • Missycvt
    Options
    I am looking to lose weight. I'm looking to lose at least 15-20 pounds. I've gained weight over the past year and I want to get back into my routine. I was eating 1250 calories a day and exercising well. After slacking off, er, getting married, now I've inflated like the Goodyear blimp! Or so the mirror and scale and clothes tell me. I'm looking to get lean, and then of course tone up. I'm willing to incorporate strength training, but all I have are 5 lb Dumbbells and a resistance band for that. Machines are treadmill and stationary bike. That's what I have to work with since I'm not joining a gym.
  • Missycvt
    Options
    I felt my workout was good, but could improve and maybe I'm being impatient. I think honestly I could've run faster or longer, but since I'm just starting out, I didn't want to burn out and kill myself. I did 3.5 moderate walking rest periods, with 6-7 fast bursts intervals for 30 secs. Total of 20 mins including warm up, cool down, stretching.... It was good, I did sweat but I'm anxious to do more. Could I do more intervals this evening? Or should I change it up doing some strength training even though I did that yesterday? Working arms?
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    How much depends on your ambitions and goals. I think you need to discover what you really like versus what you don't. My preference is finding a good balance between cardio and strength training.

Plenty of things to do at home with what you have - cardio and resistance training. Treadmill intervals are fine - especially if they are balanced out with other activities. If that's all I did, I'd be insanely bored and would of quit a long time ago.

You don't say whether or not you are willing spend any more money on equipment. You don't have to spend a nickel and can do a ton of resistance training. A little bit of cash can buy you a jump rope. More money can buy you more weights. Sky is the limit but motivation and interest will be your guide - both of which will/can change over time.

As for running, try getting focused with a program like C25K. Will help to ensure (not guarantee) you don't do too much too soon.

Have you explored sites like Fitness Blender for more ideas? Cost = nothing but time

Sounds like you're getting a little bored so explore and try new things.

• Missycvt
    Options
    Hey thanks! That sounds great! I've thought about jump rope.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You just started today! Build up a little bit each week if you feel like you're not doing enough. You can always take a couple of walks or bike ride to stay active without killing yourself.
  • sarochka85
    sarochka85 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Definitely leave it at once a day a few times a week till you're used to it.

If you're left feeling so tired that you spend the rest of your day on your *kitten*, that doesn't help you either.