Do I really need to count gum!!

Options
I love to chew gum and then get rid of it about 5 mins after I chew it, I don't do it often but I need to count it!!
Stinks

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    A lot of people will count absolutely everything...

But for me, a 5 calorie stick of gum doesn't make or break a diet, so I don't count it. If I get stressed over 5 calories, then I know I need to back off before I get an ulcer.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I counted it when I first started but honestly like the person above said...5 calories isn't gonna make it or break it. If you think you need to count it then count it, if it's not a big deal then don't count it.
  • nlassite
    nlassite Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't count gum. The calorie amount is so small you can burn it easily.
  • crazywheaten
    Options
    A lot of people will count absolutely everything...

But for me, a 5 calorie stick of gum doesn't make or break a diet, so I don't count it. If I get stressed over 5 calories, then I know I need to back off before I get an ulcer.

Totally agree! Gum is the ONE thing I just let slide. Unless I chew a pack in a day or something... lol
  • PaulaJKelly
    Options
    I say count it just so you can see what you have eaten all day.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    That seems a little overboard to me.. I guess, unless you're counting sugars and eat one of those huge hunks of sugary fruity gum.
  • awtakontrl
    awtakontrl Posts: 31
    Options
    i do! i count everything that goes into my mouth! a few sticks here and there can add up, and for me, i try to stay under a certain amount of calories a day, so why not include it to be accurate? :)
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I don't count mine either. :wink:
  • chelle1717
    chelle1717 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You probably burn off the 5 cals the gum is worth by chewing it. It's like celery - negative calories!
  • Charger440
    Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    At 5 cals if you chew 30 a day I would...otherwise you burn all them calories just looking for them in the list :)
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    i count it only because im diabetic and im tracking my sugar intake but calorie-wise it's so little youd probably burn it off during the chewing process anyways.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I chew 2 cal gum and eat about a pack per day. 20 cals? Seriously, who ever got fat on 20 cals per day??

Just like the exercise I do by going shopping, cleaning the fridge, cooking etc etc..........I dont count them either.

Dont sweat the small stuff, is what I say :bigsmile:

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    5 cals here, 5 cals there...it can add up, if you count everything else then no it wont make a difference but if you let a few 5 cal pieces of gum slide then you may let a few 5 cal drinks slide etc.....there is also some thoughts that chewing gum can hinder weight loss, if you have stalls and can see EXACTLY what you were eating then you might be able to link it to something as small as that gum, its not just about the calories. I wouldn't stress about remembering whether you had 3 or 4 sticks etc but I'd definitely log that I was eating gum on such n such a day
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    You probably burn more calories just chewing it than you do consuming it :/
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I dunno....I count it...I chew it at work...and find that I will shove 2 sticks in my mouth at a time.....I may spit it out and do it again a few times. It is true, at 5 calories, it is not much. but if I do it several times...even 30 cals is not much....but I just like to make sure that I count everything.....ocd...lol
  • bbialik
    bbialik Posts: 6
    Options
    Gum is pretty much the only thing I don't log. Guess you have to draw the line somewhere.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I DO NOT count gum. Too silly!
  • mullallypatrickj
    mullallypatrickj Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Its kind of the same as coffee, (black) its really low cal, but the caffeene will help you matabolize food. I used to add creme and sugar to my coffee because I didnt like the taste, but its kinda like beer, get to the bottom of the first cup and the taste isnt really a shock anymore.