Thigh weight loss

Options
Hi

Any advice helpful please
I have always had large thighs and it seems to be the place I've struggled to lose weight from so the rest of my body slims down but I still have my thunder thighs.
I was at one point my life a size 26 I am now a size 16 but I feel my thighs are still the same from when I was my larger size. It only really get to my when I am abroad and have to wear a costume.

I do a lot of walking and running and have tried some swimming any other ideas why my thighs aren't slimming down.

Replies

• jmidd97
    jmidd97 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm no expert, but from what I understand its just a matter of consistent weight loss, spot reducing in certain areas just isn't possible. I have the same issue with my hips and thighs. Just keep with the calorie deficit, and it should come off eventually. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    A couple of things: you can't choose your genetics. If your thighs are the last place to lose fat weight, it's the last place to lose fat weight. There are no exercises or programs that will make them reduce any faster than your body allows with the exception of liposuction.
    Consistency in calorie deficit will allow overall body fat loss, but based on genetics, it will always seem your thighs will be bigger even if you're losing fat weight.
    There's nothing you can do to spot reduce size. You just have to let your body do what it does.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Saucymare2010
    Saucymare2010 Posts: 9 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I know your correct franny in regards to no one looks but it's just a paranoia thing isn't it.

Thanks everyone I suppose I will just have to keep at it and one day I will have my slim thighs (hopefully) :)
  • k8mcminn
    k8mcminn Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have also been gifted with larger thighs. I always take the steps when ever I can. It helped tone them up in conjunction with weight loss.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Just gotta keep going. Obviously if you went from a size 26 to 16 they have to have slimmed down some what. Take measurements, that's really the only way to ever know if they are decreasing.

Sadly you can't spot reduce. I too suffer from thunder thighs.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You cant spot reduce.

try to maintain your muscle mass while losing fat.

My legs ARE THE LAST place fat leaves.

Last summer when I finally cut to 141 I was so unhappy with the look of my legs. I knew I needed to add more muscle to pull off a firmer shapely leg. I bulked through the winter eating in a surplus and worked really hard with some heavy lifts to grow some lovely legs. I'm cutting away the fat now. From the looks I things I added muscle mass to my legs. they look nicer now at 146 than they did last year at 146. You can spot gain muscle mass it will improve your overall composition.

I would not suggest bulking for you now as you still have some fat to lose.

Regarding fat, stay consistent in your deficit and start weight training now to preserve the muscle you do have.

If you don't like the way you look when you hit your goal and you are in the low 20% by looks for body fat (as a female), go into a bulk and lift heavy and hard. Then cut again.

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    @Saucymare2010, did you measure your thighs at your largest? I bet they're a lot smaller now in inches, they're just the same purporting in your new body. I started at a size 22 and I'm now a 10. My thighs are the same general shape and if I focused on that I'd think nothing had happened. The truth is, though, that they've gone from 30" to 24". So.. A lot of subtle progress. I bet that you've had the same thing happen.

The good thing about fast in the thighs is it is far from all your organs. It doesn't disrupt insulin response. It doesn't contribute to heart disease or kidney failure. It doesn't cause cancer. It may sits there and waits for you to use the energy within. So don't stress.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I swear I'm going to have ashredded 6 pack before any fat comes off my thighs. I've gotten to the point where the circumference of my waist is almost the same circumference as one thigh.
    Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do except continue the deficit.
  • xAmeenahx
    xAmeenahx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I suffer with this issue as well. But I have noticed that since I work out pretty much everyday and I do a lot of lifting involving my legs, I am slowly noticing the fat coming off of my thighs and becoming a bit more muscular. It takes so much effort, but in the end you'll notice the difference.
  • jacef89
    jacef89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try weight training in areas that target thighs (hip aduction )
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm a thickly bottomed lady too, and I've found doing body weight exercises aimed for the lower body (ie: squats, lunges, etc) have helped with their tone. I'm still thick and always will be but it doesn't bother me as much when they have some tone.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    jacef89 wrote: »
    Try weight training in areas that target thighs (hip aduction )
    Adduction works such a small part of the thighs. And doesn't NOTHING to reduce size since spot exercising to lose fat is a myth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Saucymare2010
    Saucymare2010 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @Icecreamheadaches I don't know if your psychic or a stalker lol but overall I have went from 26 to a 16 :/

I know like others have said they must have slimmed in some way but I just don't see it compared to my stomach, face, arms and chest. I look at pics of me then and I see the same thighs.
    :'(
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I finally started to lose my thighs when I hit the 130s. I'm still hoping the last 6lbs comes mostly from there!
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options