oh boy...this is not working!!!!

Options
yanicka
yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
OK I really need to pick you brain to help me here. I started this journey in november. I have lost 15 pounds since then. A slow lost but a lost that I am really proud of. Since low carbs seem to be the way to go when you have PCOS ( I do) 2 weeks ago I started a low carbs, high protein and high fat diet. Well that did not work really well because I got my gallbladder removed 6-7 years ago and my body was unable to deal with the higher fat diet.

I then switched to low carbs, low fat, high protein diet. The problem is since then I had what I think is low blood sugar, difficulty concentrating, no energy, felt sick after strenght training.

So you opinion, what is better?

A - high carbs = very slow lost
B - Low carbs, high fat = tummy hurt
C - Low carbs, low fat = No energy
D - Something else?

Thank you

Replies

• photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Perhaps somewhere between high carbs and low carbs? Perhaps moderate carbs, and pay attention to where they come from?
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    OK I really need to pick you brain to help me here. I started this journey in november. I have lost 15 pounds since then. A slow lost but a lost that I am really proud of. Since low carbs seem to be the way to go when you have PCOS ( I do) 2 weeks ago I started a low carbs, high protein and high fat diet. Well that did not work really well because I got my gallbladder removed 6-7 years ago and my body was unable to deal with the higher fat diet.

I then switched to low carbs, low fat, high protein diet. The problem is since then I had what I think is low blood sugar, difficulty concentrating, no energy, felt sick after strenght training.

So you opinion, what is better?

A - high carbs = very slow lost
    B - Low carbs, high fat = tummy hurt
    C - Low carbs, low fat = No energy
    D - Something else?

Thank you

how about moderate carbs , moderate fat, watch your cals and exercise.
  • Tracy184
    Tracy184 Posts: 74
    Options
    Does your doctor have some suggestions for a good PCOS diet? How about high protein, low/moderate fat, and low/moderate carbs?
  • paintergal73
    Options
    What is PCOS? I want to comment but i am lost on that term.
  • Spreadborough
    Options
    I'm just starting (30 days in), I've lost 12 pounds, and am eating a pretty balanced carb/protein/fat ratio of 40/30/30. (Carb/Protein/Fat)

I find it something I can maintain, lose weight and be satisfied with intake.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    medium carbs and fat, higher protein? And like photorific said becareful with the carbs that you do choose.

The other one i've heard mentioned for PCOS is a Glycemic Index Diet...you would have to google it tho as I have no idea what it entails
  • yanicka
    Options
    What is PCOS? I want to comment but i am lost on that term.

POLY CYCTIC OVARIES SYNDROME make us carbs intollerent, hard to lose weight
  • coggins6170
    Options
    I am going by the good old fashion food pyramid. I have to watch my sugars - I am not diabetic. It seems to be working for me. Lots of green veggies, lean meat, fruits, 1% milk and yogurt and whole grains.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    nourishedmagazine.com.au/blog/articles/gallbladder-disease

Here is a really good article about eating healthy fats after having your gallbladder removed. Read it and let me know what you think!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I am going by the good old fashion food pyramid. I have to watch my sugars - I am not diabetic. It seems to be working for me. Lots of green veggies, lean meat, fruits, 1% milk and yogurt and whole grains.

the food pyramid is out of date , they now have a food plate
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options

the food pyramid is out of date , they now have a food plate

yeah, like my plate (avatar). Everyone should eat like my plate. lol JK folks.
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I suggest moderate carbs, maybe moderate to high protein, and low to moderate fat. My daughter has just started her journey and we are still in the experimental phase, figuring out what works for her individual weight loss. For me it's low carb, high protein, and moderate to high fat... everyone is going to be a little different, try mixing it up a little for a week at a time and keep track of the weight situation and, more importantly, how you feel.
  • LiciaHarry
    LiciaHarry Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Sister to Spirit, here. She's right about how you have to figure out what works best for you. I haven't had my gallbladder since 1984, though, and I'm having a very easy time digesting good saturated fats. My own experience of what works is keeping the bulk of my carbs in the first half of the day (only good ones, no grains or sugar), eating high fat (good quality saturated fats) and moderate protein (again, good quality meats). I eat no beans - the leptins in beans pretty much kill me, ever since having my gallbladder removed. I keep my carb intake between 50-100 grams, protein between 80-100 grams, and fat between 100-150 grams per day. I'm also going to start taking a dessicated thyroid supplement next week. Sleep is also vital, make sure you are getting a solid 8-9 hours of sleep every night.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    The talk about the trend dieting really frustrates me. Were the default settings with lean protiens and moderate carbs (to leave room for lots of fruits and veggies and whole grains) not working for you? I aim for whole grains, raw fruits, raw or lightly sauted veggies, and lean proteins and it has worked wonders for me.

Edit: is it all carbs or just certain types of carb sources, like we're gluten free in my house.
  • yanicka
    Options
    The talk about the trend dieting really frustrates me. Were the default settings with lean protiens and moderate carbs (to leave room for lots of fruits and veggies and whole grains) not working for you? I aim for whole grains, raw fruits, raw or lightly sauted veggies, and lean proteins and it has worked wonders for me.

It's nota question of trend. It's the question that I have a metabolic disorder. I have changed my setting to 35% carbs, 35% and 30% fat. I will try that for a few weeks.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Read up on the "slow carb" diet, that might suit you. It replaces high GI carbs (bread, pasta, spuds and the like) and instead focusses on carbs that also have protein - like beans and lentils - and loads of non-starchy veg.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    Yes, I apologize. I went back and edited my post slightly to understand your carb issues, is it all carbs or certain carb sources that you have issues with, that makes a huge difference. I didn't want to edit my post in whole, I hate when people do that.
  • yanicka
    Options
    Yes, I apologize. I went back and edited my post slightly to understand your carb issues, is it all carbs or certain carb sources that you have issues with, that makes a huge difference. I didn't want to edit my post in whole, I hate when people do that.

oh no problem, I have the same feeling you do about trend diets. I sincerely think that low carbs is in fact a pain in the bottom so why would you do that to yourself if you do not have to lol. I have to experiment and see if it's all carbs that are the problem. I am not sure yet.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I know little to nothing about PCOS, but I know that for me, a higher carb diet works great, as long as I'm choosing mostly whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and beans for my carbs (over the simple carbs like chips and pizza).
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

oh no problem, I have the same feeling you do about trend diets. I sincerely think that low carbs is in fact a pain in the bottom so why would you do that to yourself if you do not have to lol. I have to experiment and see if it's all carbs that are the problem. I am not sure yet.

If you aren't sure, start gluten free, and the carbs you do eat keep as close to their natural form as possible (long grain brown rice istead of white and minute rice, steel cut oats over instant, rice breads instead of wheat breads). Wheat is such a problem for many people, and they don't even realize it.