Adjusting Calorie Intake-When & How?

Options
In March 2016 I weighed 180lbs, as of last weekend I weighed 160lbs. I am working towards a 150lb goal. I am 5'3 and almost (!) 42 years old.

I started at 1200 calories each day plus exercise calories (which I only ate a portion back of). Once I lost 10lbs I moved to 1230 calories each day plus exercise calories (which I only ate a portion back of). I steadily was loosing between 1.5-2lbs a week.

Now for my last ten pounds I find I am hungrier (belly growling at times) but MFP suggests going back down to 1200 calories a day to keep loosing 1.5lb each week.

What do you recommend I do to satisfy my hunger and continue to loose weight?

Replies

• Nathanae
    Nathanae Posts: 29 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I am at the same point where at the end of my calorie allowance I still feel unsatisfied (but maybe not actually hungry? I am not good at telling them apart!) but I haven't lost any weight for over a week (which I know is not unnormal...) But since I never went down as low as 1200, as this website now suggests (I don't recall what their first suggestion was when I started. somewhere above 1400), I thought I have to go down a few calories and try to fill them better (more broccoli and cottage cheese...). But I am also worried that going too low will start to be too restricting and "diet-y" and make me give up more easily!

So if you feel hungry and don't have a specific deadline, maybe it might be better to listen to your body and feeding it a bit more instead of forcing something you won't be able to keep up forever? :/
    And weight isn't the only indicator of success and getting healthier. If you have started a new or more intense workout regime, you would have also gained muscle mass - which is heavier than fat - and may therefore still be losing fat-weight and getting slimmer and healthier, even though the scales are too stubborn to tell you! Maybe go to a professional health check at your doctors or gym to see how you are doing! :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Now for my last ten pounds I find I am hungrier (belly growling at times) but MFP suggests going back down to 1200 calories a day to keep loosing 1.5lb each week.

Error in question - you shouldn't be aiming for a rapid weight loss as you approach goal. It's like parking a car in thr garage, slow down as you approach and learn how to maintain your new weight.

Dial in a smaller loss rate.
  • jswigart
    jswigart Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    In March 2016 I weighed 180lbs, as of last weekend I weighed 160lbs. I am working towards a 150lb goal. I am 5'3 and almost (!) 42 years old.

I started at 1200 calories each day plus exercise calories (which I only ate a portion back of). Once I lost 10lbs I moved to 1230 calories each day plus exercise calories (which I only ate a portion back of). I steadily was loosing between 1.5-2lbs a week.

Bye
    As you approach your optimum weight your loss will slow down. It will take much longer to loose but it will happen. If you reduce your calories too much you will actually cause your body to slow down calorie burn. I wouldn't got below 1200 and maybe slowly increase to 1250 or 1300 and watch what happens.
    It just takes a lot of patience when you are close to your goal. J
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I always suggest that people eat as many calories as they can while making progress towards their fitness goal. I would suggest you keep your calories up if you're still losing ~0.5-2 lbs/week. The problem with dropping down to 1200 cal/day is that if you get stuck in a plateau, then you have no room to make adjustments.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Adjust your loss to 0.5 lbs per week. take the last few pounds off slow and steady.
    Remember that the closer to goal you get, you will have less room for error so accuracy is important.
  • lasirena624
    lasirena624 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you, so overall lesson is as I get closer to my goal the weight moves more slowly. Reduce my expectations per weekly drop and increase calories, maintaining or increasing exercise still working towards a deficit to eventually reach the goal.