water fast

Options
thinking of trying a 1 or 2 day water fast. any info would be greatly appreciated.....i need to get away from artificial sweeteners and caffeine again

Replies

• Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    :huh: Uhhhhh...great way to shut down your metabolism....just saying. Try just drinking water instead.

Fasting is one of the things I did in my 20s that contributed to my current situation.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    what about switching to a more natural sweetener, like honey? or doing a half-caff combo?

believe me i understand about the caffeine! not sure if you do coffee or sodas or what not, but i've moved to half-caff coffee and so far so good.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Wait, were you saying "Only water, no other drinks" or were you saying "Only water, no food or other drinks"?

If the former - YES, Water instead of other drinks is much mo betta,

If the latter - you're gonna kill your metabolism and ruin your energy.
  • RattieLove
    RattieLove Posts: 125
    Options
    Wait, were you saying "Only water, no other drinks" or were you saying "Only water, no food or other drinks"?

If the former - YES, Water instead of other drinks is much mo betta,

If the latter - you're gonna kill your metabolism and ruin your energy.

I second this
  • ascrof
    ascrof Posts: 34
    Options
    i meant only water and nothing else.....basically i was off all artificial sweeteners and caffeine for like 3 months and now am hooked again....only coffee, haven't had a soda in months.....i just figured it would be good to detox this way.....
  • Toots2012
    Toots2012 Posts: 25
    Options
    I dont think that a water only fast would be very wise.....
    Maybe if you decided to cut out all other types of beverages and convert to only drinking water. Now that seems wise-the other idea, not wise.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    I would not go two days, but despite those who say it will ruin your metabolism, it won't. They should take some time and research all the studies that have been done on fasting. For even up to 72 hours a fast will increase your metabolism which makes sense since for generations (up until the last 200 years or so) food was not always available and when you ran out of it you needed to hunt it down requiring all your skill and energy. If our metabolism shut down right away when we are fasting that would hinder us rather than help.

I fast regularly. Search for fasting and you will find a bunch of threads about it such as this one http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/226488-intermittent-fasting-support-group
  • acaudill042106
    acaudill042106 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It actaully is a good way to detox...as long as you realize coming off of the water fast may make you sick. If you chose to do it...and I dont recommend it...it takes at least 7 days o detox properly....and a day or two of juice and light foods after the fact. I would only attempt it if you are dead set on a lifestyle change. Because doing it and turning back would be in vain.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I would not go two days, but despite those who say it will ruin your metabolism, it won't. They should take some time and research all the studies that have been done on fasting. For even up to 72 hours a fast will increase your metabolism which makes sense since for generations (up until the last 200 years or so) food was not always available and when you ran out of it you needed to hunt it down requiring all your skill and energy. If our metabolism shut down right away when we are fasting that would hinder us rather than help.

I fast regularly. Search for fasting and you will find a bunch of threads about it such as this one http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/226488-intermittent-fasting-support-group

Might work for some people, I know from personal experience (Fasted for a fundraiser for 48 hours) that I felt like crap, had no energy, and my metabolism was slowed. I gained 3 lbs in the next 2 weeks after fasting, and my diet was identical to before.
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    If you want a good detox...google Dax Moy elimination diet. Pretty much the gold standard.

Hollycat
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    :huh: Uhhhhh...great way to shut down your metabolism....just saying. Try just drinking water instead.

Fasting is one of the things I did in my 20s that contributed to my current situation.

Hollycat

Your metabolism doesn't shut down that quick. Not that I'm pro-fasting or anything.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    i meant only water and nothing else.....basically i was off all artificial sweeteners and caffeine for like 3 months and now am hooked again....only coffee, haven't had a soda in months.....i just figured it would be good to detox this way.....

Just my opinion, but coffee is not really that bad for you. As long as your not drinking a couple of pots a day.
  • Louiselesley
    Louiselesley Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Even the thought of this makes me squeezy.

I think fasting done properly can be a really good way to detox but by done properly i mean still consuming a healthy amount of calories but doing it via smoothies/other ways.

water only just.... no. no way.

just start drinking water as your only liquid and that will flush your body.
  • Louiselesley
    Louiselesley Posts: 166 Member
    Options

Just my opinion, but coffee is not really that bad for you. As long as your not drinking a couple of pots a day.

Caffiene is second as the most addictive drug in the world. I think that says it all...
  • shellshell43
    shellshell43 Posts: 116
    Options
    I did a 24 hour water fast about ten days ago for the same reasons..I was craving sugar way too much and drinking coffee through out the day..just wanted to reset my system and decided to try a quick water fast to see if it would work...it made me appreciate my food when I ate dinner that night and it did get the sugar craving out of my system...I didn't work out the night I began my fast or the evening I ended it so I took two days rest total. I felt it did me good...almost like a clean slate..I understand some people don't recommend it and I am not promoting this practice only sharing my experience.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options

Caffiene is second as the most addictive drug in the world. I think that says it all...

It's also been shown that coffee in moderation can have positive effects. If someone thinks they can't have it in moderation, that's one thing, but to say that everyone has to cut it out is ridiculous.
  • Mahhafooznit
    Mahhafooznit Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Why avoid coffee. I dont get it.. sure its not the best. but if you look at it this way.
    someone offers you a beer. you say I will have a coffee instead.
    someone offers you a soda/pop, say you will have a coffee instead.
    if your worried about how caffiene effects you have decaf.

coffee helps prevent bum cancer as per the smart people that do the studies.
    even decaf coffee.

I think coffee even helps with digestion. at least for me it does.
    coffee helps as appetite suppressant.

If you want to do something different. for every 1 cup of coffee drink 2 cups of water.
    that will even yourself out so you do not feel dehydrated and tired.
  • shellshell43
    shellshell43 Posts: 116
    Options
    I drink one cup of coffee in the morning merely because I like it -nothing addictive, it could be decaffeinated, it doesn't matter. if I didn't have it I wouldn't suffer any loss. Just kind of a morning ritual...routine mostly
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Fasting, or not eating, starts a thing called ketosis. It takes 72 hours for the body to start eating itself, so those that feel like crap the first two days means they are struggling with their body. After 72 hours, you should feel better, but I would still make sure you see a doctor and drink plenty of water. The reason why coffee is bad is because caffeine is a diuretic so it will make you lose water. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_of_coffee. I think there are enough "bad" reasons to stop drinking coffee completely.
  • Balishdear
    Balishdear Posts: 60
    Options
    I actually read about a 24 hour water fast tin the most recent addition of Marie Claire. It said that one 24 hour fast will increase the human growth hormone... I can't remember the rest. Although it didn't give any direction as to how to complete the fast. I just tried to do it and I caved 6 hours prior to finishing my fast. I know I can do it, but food just became like gold to me. I past by a vending machine and things that I don't even like became delicious looking to me. AHH! Many people think that a 24 hour water fast will put your body into starvation mode. Nope, do more reading into it. 24 hour water fast once a month will NOT do that.