Do you weigh every day...and if you do

Options
Do you update your info daily? The little ups and downs and fluctuations are one thing, but do you enter it in as your daily check in with MFP or just stick to entering in a particular day of the week even though you weigh daily?

My scale may be going nuts. Today 3lb lighter but then moved it to a new location and then 10lb lighter, then back to 2 lb lighter. Time for a new battery and a recheck tomorrow.

I know it's all about how clothes fit over the number on the scale, just wondering how people log in as a curiosity factor.

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    My scale automatically logs it onto MFP, Health Mate and Trendweight, as well as sends it to my Google Calendar. Despite this, I have no idea how much I weigh unless I go and check LOL!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I currently weigh and take measurements daily. I log these daily in MFP.

I don't anticipate doing this indefinitely, it is a short term experiment.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No.
  • SimonCypher
    SimonCypher Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself sporadically throughout the week and found my weight would fluctuate so much and often I got discouraged and down. I now only weigh myself once a week on a Sunday, same time, same place and wearing the same clothes. It displays my weight on my FitBit Aria scales and then uploads to MFP automatically. If my weight goes up / down I don't get too disheartened as I know that I can see changes in my physique and that the numbers on the scale aren't everything.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My scale automatically logs it onto MFP, Health Mate and Trendweight, as well as sends it to my Google Calendar. Despite this, I have no idea how much I weigh unless I go and check LOL!

+1 for Trendweight, but how do you get it to post to your Google Calendar? (I have aFitBit Aria.)
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options

+1 for Trendweight, but how do you get it to post to your Google Calendar? (I have aFitBit Aria.)

I've got a Withings scale, and I use IFTTT scripts to send to Calendar, here's one for the Aria https://ifttt.com/recipes/273507-add-fitbit-aria-weight-to-your-google-calendar
  • roadrunner676
    roadrunner676 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I weigh nearly every day out of curiosity. But, my weight varies quite a bit day to day, probably due to salt intake, water retention, and other factors. I have never found a correlation of eating super-healthy one day and weighing less because of it the next day.

Statistically, I think the best approach would be a running 5-day average. That is, average your weight for the last 5 consecutive days and use that as your current weight. Doing this settles out the variation fairly well.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I like the taking an average for 5 day weigh ins ...I also think I am tech deficient. I have a junky phone that doesn't link to anything! LOL! Maybe that's what I need to update!

I will say that I do weigh daily but don't update MFP check in until Tuesdays or Wednesday's. I heard that was an idea day since the damage from the weekend is unraveling and the next weekend damage didn't hit yet.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I've gone through periods where I weigh daily and then I've used Happy Scale to track the fluctuations. I found it quite interesting to watch the patterns. I only logged my loss into MFP weekly or fortnightly.
  • NatalieLJ
    NatalieLJ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Every day or other day, out of curiosity I guess and to keep me on track/motivated. I always place the scales on the exact same bathroom tile for consistency/fairness though, and I only log on MFP if the number has reduced (of course, it doesn't always for the various reasons others have given above).
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day and log it daily as well. I like to see the overall trend. It's also good to see if eating a particular meal makes me retain much water the next day.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Every 2 weeks, usually on Sunday. Three to six times in a row after using the bathroom, and before eating or drinking anything. Weighing yourself several times gives a more accurate reading or your current weight.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I only log it on MFP saturday for my weigh in, but i'm ridiculous when it comes to weighing several times a day. it's like a bad habit but I don't really think about it affecting my progress.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I enter it on MFP. By entering on MFP, it goes to Fitbit. Then Fitbit sends to Trendweight. I look at Trendweight less often now because I discovered it is backwards-looking.

For 2 1/2 years (I have not always weighed daily during this time), I have always weighed the least on Sat. morning after taking a shower. Even if I take time off from work and treat Fri. like a weekend, Sat. morning is still my lowest weight. Sun. is back up again and it jumps around throughout the week (and evenings are higher).
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I weigh at the same time every day as long as I am at home...it is always entered in MFP. I don't really worry about daily fluctuations.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but only log my weight into MFP on Fridays using whatever number the scale says that morning. The daily weigh-ins help me see how my day-to-day habits affect my weight and put me in check when I am going off plan, but the weekly logged weights help me see the trend.

As a note, it is not unusual for scales to read differently depending on where they are placed. Be sure to place it on a hard, even floor. Just pick one spot and keep it there. Don't move it around weighing yourself each time, because you will get a different reading each time. Whether losing, maintaining or gaining weight, what you want to see long term is a trend. The actual number is relatively unimportant.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Weight every day. Log every day. I have Trendweight synced with Fitbit so I get long-term data. I prefer to have data to look at that way I can figure out what caused the weight gain - too much sodium, too much water, too much food, too much femaleness, etc..
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    mom23nuts wrote: »
    Do you update your info daily? The little ups and downs and fluctuations are one thing, but do you enter it in as your daily check in with MFP or just stick to entering in a particular day of the week even though you weigh daily?

My scale may be going nuts. Today 3lb lighter but then moved it to a new location and then 10lb lighter, then back to 2 lb lighter. Time for a new battery and a recheck tomorrow.

I know it's all about how clothes fit over the number on the scale, just wondering how people log in as a curiosity factor.
    Your scale may be OK - the weight recorded is likely changing due to the surface it's been placed on. The weight distribution through the feet of the scale, and whether its on a solid, flat surface, make all the difference in the world whether it's measuring accurately. The best way to check is to hold a weight of defined value (say an 10lb dumbbell type weight) close to your body, see the weight, and then check your weight when you put that weight down. if it's recording the change of weight accurately, it's likely that the scale itself is OK, but you need to ensure it's on a hard, flat surface, and you don't move it around at all.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning and enter the number into Garmin Connect, which pushes it to MFP.