Hummus???!!!???

Options
JDMPWR
JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
Can some share the healthiest premade brand hummus out there....I always found hummus to look rather much like baby vomit but I tried some last week and I am officially hooked. Now to find a brand that is healthy and low sodium/fat and the bread to go with.....

Please share your brands and ideas!!!!

Replies

• iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    skip the bread and go for veggies instead or use it in place of mustard/mayo on sandwiches, put on top of a grilled chicken breast or salmon for a tasty twist. Anything you'd put a "spread" on for flavor replace with the hummus and see where you like it. The possibilities are endless!
  • tnaconde
    tnaconde Posts: 25
    Options
    I prefer trader Joes hummus. Just read your labels. I like plain hummus or red pepper, I too dip my veggies in it and use it on everything!! lol.
  • TakuraHunt
    TakuraHunt Posts: 208
    Options
    I like Sabra brand Hummus (Classic, roasted red pepper, and spicy - cant remember the exact name).
    as for bread I I use Arnold brand Sandwhich Thins (100 cals per roll)
  • tkacomet
    tkacomet Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    first of all, try it with veggies instead of bread. I always have mine with bell peppers and olives and little strips of romaine. yum.

second - I have found premade to be pretty flat. it's really easy to make your own, easier than you'd think. the bonus is you get the right amount of garlic and oil (I'm a garlic junkie) and it's always fresh. if you use canned chickpeas it's superfast, too.
  • BossSauce69
    Options
    If you've got a food processor, hummus can be really easy and cheap to make at home. You can also adjust the olive oil, tahini, and any spices as you see fit.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I use it frequently as a dip for my celery & carrot sticks. Sometimes for breakfast I'll toast a light fiber one english muffin (100 cals) and top it with hummus and fresh tomato. I tried many flavors and prefer plain hummus, although I did just get a tub of jalapeno hummus and I think it is my new favorite!
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I too like the Sabra -- especially the spicy.

Recently I tried Nasoya brand - it was garlic and spinach and it was higher protein/lower fat (at least the label screamed that!) and it was good.

I toasted really thin pita bread and broke it into pieces. The pita bread was 60 calories each (for a full piece, not a half).
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    For some reason, I'm not the greatest hummus maker, but I do like Cedar brand.. it's a local brand, don't know if they are available where you are. I buy at Whole Foods.

They have a lot of different blends, I sampled the lemon flavor at the store, and it was delish, so I bought it!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I just tried it for the first time today. It is very good. I had it with Back to Nature White Cheddar Gluten Free Rice Thin Crackers. This is the first time eating this crackers too. They are very good. One serving is 18 crackers, 130 calories, 2.5 grams of fat, 240 grams of sodium, 40 grams of potassium, 24grams of carbs, 1 gram of sugar and 2 grams of protein.
  • piezoeyjune
    piezoeyjune Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    No brands. Make your own. It is TOTALLY easy and has no crap/chemicals etc in it. Plus you can design your own flavors...

Barefoot Contessa.

Hummus

Makes 2 cups

2 cups canned chickpeas, drained, liquid preserved (15.5 oz can)
    1/3 cup tahini or sesame paste
    4 tsp minced garlic (4 cloves)
    6 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 lemons)
    8 dashes Tabasco sauce
    2 tsp kosher salt

Place chickpeas, 2 tablespoons of the reserved liquid, the tahini, garlic, lemon juice, Tabasco and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade and process until coarsely puréed. The hummus should be moist and thick; add more lemon juice or reserved chickpea liquid to thin, if necessary. Cover and refrigerate for several hours for the flavours to blend. Taste for seasonings.

Heres the link to the page also...

http://www.frugalbits.com/food-drink/how-easy-is-that-ina-garten/

You will LOVE it. (I am totally hooked!)
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    The Sabra brand of hummus is DELICIOUS! Especially the roasted garlic kind. I'm hooked! My roommate let me try some last week, and it's pretty much certain that hummus will be a staple in our house! =D

Good luck!
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes, I especially love the edamame hummus. Yu uh um!
  • BettyMargaret
    BettyMargaret Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    My son uses hummus instead of mayo in his deviled eggs and it is delicious! Nobody at the gathering knew the difference!
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes, I especially love the edamame hummus. Yu uh um!

Yes! Trader Joes. :D
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    My son uses hummus instead of mayo in his deviled eggs and it is delicious! Nobody at the gathering knew the difference!

I need to try that! I use miracle whip instead of mayo :laugh:
  • 1crazymom
    1crazymom Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Bumping for the recipe Sabra plain is my favorite!
  • imabigvegan
    Options
    But it's SOOOO easy to make at home and so much cheaper. It takes like 5 minutes to make yourself with fresh ingredients.

These amazing recipes.

http://mefurbish.wordpress.com/2011/06/14/belgian-flag-hummus/
  • stephierue
    stephierue Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I agree it is so easy to make. When I don't make it I use the cans of premade at the local global foods market. It is with the lebanese food. The can is around $1 & not a bunch of additives in it. Also, it is great in a can because I can keep a bunch in the pantry.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Ok you have sparked my curiosity, i use to know several ppl that ate this and I always walk down the cooler that has this
    but I have not had the courage to buy any and try it lol. What does it taste like? Is it good? I don't want to waste my money
    if I am not going to eat it? Is it good for your to eat?

Thanks, I want to try this....
  • BettyMargaret
    BettyMargaret Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I like the red pepper hummus and it makes me think of bean dip.