Confused about negative calorie adjustment with Jawbone Up

Options
MrGrumpie
MrGrumpie Posts: 3 Member
Hi all

I'm really confused! I recently changed my myfitnesspal settings to count steps from my jawbone up rather than my iphone, and I noticed that no exercise calories were ever shown. I then enabled negative calorie adjustments on the website, but I find the results bizarre.

For example - MFP has allocated me 1810 calories per day based on my profile and goals etc.

Yesterday, my calorie consumption was 1639, and according to jawbone up I have 2 calories spare (it's calculated me @ -500 calories per day, so a total calorie burn yesterday of 2141).

Yet according to MFP, having consumed 1639 calories I've overeaten by 219 calories! It also shows my jawbone steps as only 1537!???

I can't get my head around it, the MFP numbers simply don't make sense?

Any ideas?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    MFP and fitness trackers don't use the same equations and if you tell MFP you are anything above sedentary it's pretty likely the fitness tracker will know better and make a negative adjustment.

Check the clocks and time zones are all the same too.

Was a negative adjustment recorded in your exercise diary ?
  • MrGrumpie
    Options
    Yes, -390; the steps shown in MFP don't match what Jawbone is telling me though either?

In my Jawbone app it shows 4475 steps, whilst MFP shows an adjustment based on 1537 steps.

Either way, according to the readings on MFP, it's saying I should have consumed only 1400 calories (which definitely isn't right). None of what Jawbone is telling me is actually reflected in MFP.
  • yarwell
    edited May 2016
    Options
    MFP is displaying steps (incorrectly) but the calorie adjustment is not calculated from that - it's just a bit of data shared between the apps.

MFP set you at 1810, jawbone's negative adjustment took 390 off so 1420 should be the revised target, this fits with your 219 over at 1639.

If you click on the (i) next to the adjustment does it give you a time of the adjustment, I wonder if the data exchange has a problem so you only got part of a day's data from Jawbone (hence the comment about the clocks).

oygfna517sdz.jpg

• yarwell
    Options

oygfna517sdz.jpg
  • MrGrumpie
    Options

I just checked and it looks like MFP didn't sync properly, as for the whole day it sync'd only up until midday.

The other strange thing is that in the nutrients section on MFP, Monday shows my total calorie intake as over 2000, whereas my intake was 1639 - it looks like it's simply added the negative adjustment to my actual in-take?

• AndyJBacon
    AndyJBacon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've noticed syncing issues too. I use MFP on desktop, droid, and windows phone, and Up on droid and WP. The info is laggy until I got through a few screens on MFP, home, to diary, to nutrients, and then it usually has updated MFP info to correct Up info.
    And there is absolutely a difference between phone steps and Up steps. I wear it around my ankle for accurate count, and it's usually 2,000 steps higher than the phone by the end of the day.