Cereal that is low in calories and doesn't taste like cardboard?

Options
For breakfast, I usually have some Cinnamon Life cereal. But one serving is only 3/4 of a cup, and with milk it's 120 calories. 3/4 cup is not a lot, and so to avoid being hungry I have 2 servings, with milk that becomes 330 calories. For a bowl of cereal.

Has anyone found any cereal that is less calorie dense but doesn't taste like cardboard?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Look for lots of air and little added sugar. Multigrain Cheerios are pretty decent.

BUT, the instead of 2 servings of cereal to stay full.....look to add more protein, fat &/or fiber. Have a Greek yogurt with 1 serving of cereal. Have a high fiber English muffin half with peanut butter with your 1 serving of cereal. A hard boiled egg would be a good add on too.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    2 eggs in half a tbsp of butter is 190 calories and pretty satisfying. Just tossing that out there.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    330 calories isn't too bad. When I have cereal (either regular Life or Honey Nut Cheerios) I have 1-1.5 servings, a bit of milk, and then a cup of Greek yogurt or a banana to fill me up.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Yeah.... Eggs.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I like Kashi Go Lean. But I'm not picky.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I eat Fiber One Honey Clusters with almond milk, a banana and Greek yogurt for breakfast. Total calories is 420. The yogurt has 7g of fiber and the cereal is 10g. Definitely keeps me full until lunch.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Have you tried light vanilla soymilk? I use it because the vanilla gives it a sweeter taste than milk.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't find any cereal very filling usually so I eat other things.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Kashi has great cereal
  • jen1307
    jen1307 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do regular cheerios (not honey-nut), it only has 1 gram of sugar per serving which is 1 cup and i usually have it with my coffee so that with my coffee keeps me pretty full and it's only 100 calories per serving and then of course adding for whatever kind of milk you use.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I eat Kashi Go Lean (180 cals, 58g, protein & fiber) or shredded wheat. It's usually something I eat as a snack, though. I rely on Greek yogurt or egg sandwiches with fruit for breakfast.
  • katiebean
    katiebean Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I dont think cereal is filling enough to be worth how many calories it is. I occasionally use it as suggested above, as a crunchy topping to a bowl of low fat Greek Yogurt and banana. Usually about 10-20g.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I only eat cereal about once a week and I only eat sugary cereal (right now the box on the go is Lucky Charms). And I always eat at least 2 servings because 1 serving is just sad.

However, I have started using unsweetened almond milk in my cereal, which saves me about 60 calories compared to skim milk. I don't like almond milk on its own but I really don't find it tastes much different in cereal.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Ehh I gave up cereal because the calorie splurge isn't worth it for me personally.

I much prefer a piece of toast (Country Harvest has a variety of breads with oats or sprouted wheat or nuts/seeds) with 2 poached eggs, or cream cheese and cucumber, or spinach and a fried egg, mashed avocado and tomato slices...

Then fruit and greek yogurt on the side.

Cereal-wise, I like to buy little pouches of granola with dark chocolate or shaved coconut in it, and make parfaits. The bit of crunch is super nice. And Liberte 2% coconut greek yogurt is to DIEEEE FOR.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Cereal lead me down to hangry lane!

So I do, cereral (Special K Protein) with toast and eggs and Canadian bacon.. now this is a bit satisfying..
  • samwiserabbit
    samwiserabbit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you wean yourself onto something plainer like cheerios or chex by mixing it with less and less sugary cereal, you'll grow to appreciate the subtler flavors of grain.

On the other hand, a serving of chex is one cup and with 1/2 cup of skim milk it comes to 150 calories. I think it's a fine breakfast with some berries and extra soymilk for about 250, but if you're not satisfied by high sugar/carb foods, then yeah, some yogurt, eggs, tofu, or sprouted grain toast might be a better fit.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal! I second (or maybe third or fourth... lol) the almond milk suggestion. Also, rather than eating multiple servings, you could add a half serving of protein powder to adjust the flavor and keep you fuller longer.
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Weetabix, skimmed milk, sliced banana.
  • Akilah_green
    Akilah_green Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like Kashi Go Lean. But I'm not picky.

I like that brand to. And use almond milk if your concerned about the calories