Pescatarian lifestyle

Options
I've decided to live a Pescatarian lifestyle because it's healthy and I needed to drop the weight. I recently started and so far so good, I don't miss meat at all. There's a new Health store/Vitamin shop in my area and I wanted to know what would you suggest?.....I'm looking for something to help me loose weight, something I can use to blend with my shakes etc.....I just got back on track with working out and I just started yoga as well.....I use to weigh 150 and now I'm about 200. I know being a Pescatarian I will drop some weight because my eating changed as well as working out but I'm wondering if I should leave it as is or get something to add to my way of eating or shakes to help from the health store/vitamin shop?????

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    What is Pescatarian? I've never heard of that before.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    What is Pescatarian? I've never heard of that before.

It's someone who eats fish, but avoids other meat.
  • AngelbabyJC
    AngelbabyJC Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    @dubird someone who doesn't eat meat but eats fish
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You will only lose weight if dropping all meat other than the meat from fish causes you to go into a calorie deficit. Changing your eating doesn't automatically result in weight loss if you wind up eating the same number of calories.

There is nothing that pescatarians, automatically, have to supplement with. You can meet all your nutritional needs on your diet. Nothing you buy in a health food/supplement store is going to help you lose weight unless it somehow makes it easier for you to maintain a calorie deficit.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Ah, ok, thanks. Never heard the term before!

OP: To lose weight, you have consume less calories than you burn. That can be done in MANY ways, so you need to take a look at your current diet and see where you can adjust. My suggestion would be to add some protien, but there's not really any diet supplement or shake that you can buy that will help you more than just adjusting your food intake.
  • Smithworkout2016
    Smithworkout2016 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Add me
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Being pescatarian won't make you lose weight in and of itself. What is likely happening is that you happen to be eating fewer calories as a result of the diet change.

There is nothing you can add into your diet/shakes that will help you lose weight; being in a calorie deficit is the one and only way to lose weight.

Make sure you are logging accurately and set reasonable goals. You can eat whatever you like as long as you stay under your calorie allowance.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Fish IS meat, you know, at least in English. ;-) (Sorry, just a bit of a pet peeve. The Latin and Latin-based languages are different.)

I think being a pescatarian is great -- I do it sometimes (I do a vegetarian thing sometimes too), although so far I have not been motivated/convinced to do it permanently.

I wouldn't really think of it as a different lifestyle or healthier or a way to lose weight -- it's plenty easy to eat high cal meals with fish or vegetarian forms of protein as your main course, after all, and protein itself tends to be quite filling for me. That said, fish and seafood tends to be low cal (unless you fry it) and I don't know what kinds of other meats you would normally eat.

As for supplements, you mean like protein shakes? There's plenty of protein from fish and various vegetarian sources, so you don't need to, but there's nothing wrong with it if you want to add them in. Calories are what matter for weight loss, so it depends on whether they fit in your calories and are satisfying to you or not.
  • critterbug15
    critterbug15 Posts: 55 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You can get complete proteins from vegetarian and pescetarian diets. You can do it especially easily on a pescetarian diet. Do a search for [complete] protein sources and pick the ones you like. Mmm. Salmon.