I guess I'll throw it out there.

Options
Well ran a mile this morning. Walked a mile and then ran a half a mile and walked another mile.
Did squats 3×10
Leg press 3×15
And biked for 20 minutes.
With all of that, according to my FitBit I've burned 1400 calories. Water is good. Food is good so far as well.

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Great job getting some movement in, but that doesn't sound near 1400 calories. More like half of that or less.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Nicely done!

But definitely NOT 1400 calories.
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    A mile on average burns about 100 calories as a rule (slightly more or less depending on your weight). 3 miles of biking equals about 1 running mile (and thats if you continuously peddle). Just some guidelines to go by no matter what the electronics try to tell you.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Great job getting some movement in, but that doesn't sound near 1400 calories. More like half of that or less.

It very well could be a "total burn for today up to now" piece of data. Those devices count your calories burned just being alive as well as any exercise calories. But congrats on getting moving! I'm eager to get moving today as well, planning a walk for this afternoon and using my cardio machine at home after work as well.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    The 1400 cals might be your daily burn total.. not just for the exercise.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking the OP is referring to her total calorie burn so far as reported by Fitbit. That would mean that the 1400 includes BMR (so far, since Fitbit adds only a small portion every 15 mins to the calorie burn), daily activity, and the exercise. Considering all that, it doesn't sound horribly unreasonable.

If it's the OP's adjustment, then I'm a little skeptical and wouldn't be surprised if it decreases later in the day.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Great workout!
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Great job, OP! But do be aware that the 1400 calories shown by Fitbit is for any exercise you get AS WELL AS your basic calorie burn just for existing up to that point in the day. The workout itself, though wonderful, would not have burned that much. I'm not saying this to minimize your efforts, because you did great! But I thought you might want to be aware in case you're assuming 1400 is all exercise calories and thus what you should eat back.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i used to play this game where i'd try and have my accumulated burn for the day be 1200 calories by the time i got to work at 8 am. it was a challenge, but i was able to do it. it meant brisk morning run. I just checked my burn for today, im up to a whopping 750, and its 10am. but all ive been doing is sitting on my butt at work.
  • kjrinkus
    kjrinkus Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    During lunch at work, I do the elliptical at level 16 for 38 mins a day (bad knees) the elliptical says 600 calories burned. ( I am drenched) but then I jump off and do 5 sets of 10 deep squats with 225lbs. When I get home from work I spend another hour to 2 hours in the gym just lifting weights. But I only log the 600 calories burned for the entire day. I don't count the gym time. That's how untrusting I am of the silly measurement systems on the elliptical and Fitbit systems. 600 sound realistic to me. Focus on the food (caloric intake) and keep up the fantastic workouts that you are doing. Ignore the calories burned that electronics tell you that you've achieved. But don't stop doing them! lol. GOOD JOB!
  • kingjethro
    kingjethro Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Good job!

On a somewhat related note, it's always wise to be somewhat skeptical of "calorie counters," especially on fitness equipment at the gym. I normally wear a heart monitor and Polar device that considers matters such as age, weight, and other fitness attributes. Over the years, I've determined that the calories calculated on my Polar are fairly correct for me. However, when I compare the calorie calculations between my Polar and that determined by some fitness equipment, sometimes I get a calorie "error" as much as 2 or more times on the fitness equipment. Every person is different.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    nicolegarrison, some of the jargon in the above messages might seem unfamiliar. Don't worry. Use the food diary to record your food. Purchase a digital kitchen scale to weigh food in grams. Use the exercise diary to record your exercises if you can. Figure out how to get your fitbit to update MyFitnessPal. You are on your way now!