Starting a vegan diet

Options
Hello everyone!
My name is Anne, I'm 21 and live in Saskatchewan! I am starting a vegan diet (started 3 days ago) because first I'm allergic to lactose and second well.. I just am very interested in the health benefits. I have suffered from anorexia for years now and I'm getting good at controlling myself, and I thought going vegan was the best deal. I'm recovering quite nicely! If anyone wants to add me and share their journey with me, go ahead!

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If you are suffering from anorexia, how is a highly restrictive diet a good idea?
  • AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    If you have suffered from anorexia for years and are getting good at controlling yourself, how does starting a vegan diet, a diet in which restricts the types of foods you eat going to benefit you? This would just feed your anorexic behavior even more and would sabotage your recovery.
  • Anitarose95
    Anitarose95 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Not quite, if I don't have any restrictions all I do is binge eat on bad stuff in abusive quantities, whereas if I have an actual plan for the day that includes healthy foods in the end it's a healthier choice. Better to eat with a plan in mind that doesn't scare me away from food than binge eat on bad stuff.
  • AnthonyX150X
    Options
    annerose96 wrote: »
    Not quite, if I don't have any restrictions all I do is binge eat on bad stuff in abusive quantities, whereas if I have an actual plan for the day that includes healthy foods in the end it's a healthier choice. Better to eat with a plan in mind that doesn't scare me away from food than binge eat on bad stuff.

It is good to have a plan, your right, but you maybe it would be best to get your binge eating under control first before undergoing any new diet plan. Have you consulted with your doctor about going vegan? How far along are you in your recovery? Being vegan is also not about a diet, it is about a lifestyle change. Being vegan may or may not be right for you. You said you are only 3 days into your diet, is this something you can keep up with your whole life?
  • Anitarose95
    Anitarose95 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've actually been "recovered" for about 3 years now, I just never adopted a healthy way of eating afterwards. I would go over my calorie goal (~1400 cals) all the time and feel really bad about it afterwards. So my therapist and I decided that it would be great if we came up with a plan that suited my calorie goal without having me starving or stuffing myself lol.
  • AnthonyX150X
    Options
    annerose96 wrote: »
    I've actually been "recovered" for about 3 years now, I just never adopted a healthy way of eating afterwards. I would go over my calorie goal (~1400 cals) all the time and feel really bad about it afterwards. So my therapist and I decided that it would be great if we came up with a plan that suited my calorie goal without having me starving or stuffing myself lol.

Oh, I thought you were just coming out of recovery. It's great you are pursuing a healthy way of eating. So many people who have suffered anorexia hardly come this far so that's a big accomplishment in itself. If you talked to your therapist about your plan and feel this can fit into your calorie goal and lifestyle without the binges ever occurring again then I would say you are on the right track to a healthier life.

• Sarareneephoto
    Sarareneephoto Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Being Vegan is amazing! It has helped me lose 15lbs so far. I'm assuming you don't need to lose weight but it will give you energy and make you feel better overall. :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    But being vegan does not equal weight loss. :huh:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you interested in veganism (the ethical position on animal exploitation) or a plant-based diet?
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    You know your triggers and if this is truly not coming from 'Ed Land' , it can be a wonderful approach to a healthy diet. I must say though...being vegan can be challenging - especially socializing.
    Good luck to you. I am so happy to hear of another recovered anorexic that exists out there:))
    02042016 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yo, I've been vegan for a couple years now :) cant think of many health benefits apart from no cholesterol and I guesses it forces you to eat more veg haha. Remember to take B12 / vegan supplements as there are some things that are pretty sparse in vegan food.