From Upset to Motivated

Options
How do you go from being upset (sad, depressed, whatever you want to call it) about your weight to being motivated to lose the weight. I can't seem to get out of the self-loathing stage. Any ideas or basic strategies to get around this would be great!

Replies

• kim824
    kim824 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The best advice I got when I was feeling like you was 'fake it till you make it'. Get going and just do it. Start counting calories and eating right and exercising. You may not feel it right away but the more you do it and the healthier you become the better you will feel. Try it!!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Start slow, and understand that it's a process. Realistic expectations are the key to success. Know that the weight won't be gone overnight, but that with work and dedication, you can be like the many thousands of us here who have changed our lives for the better.

With hard work and focus I know you'll do it!
  • lyndyb88
    lyndyb88 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same place!! Sometimes I feel better after I force myself to work out...but I totally can't wait to see more responses to this
  • maryd4love
    maryd4love Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think you can until you "something" snaps in your brain and then you do it. I know what it was for me this time. I think everything has their snapping point and then there is no turning back from there.
  • Cadenpet
    Cadenpet Posts: 79
    Options
    It may not fit your position exactly but... whenever anyone upsets me and I have the urge to eat I always think "I wont let them win.". And it is a victory if you get past the craving. :) Good luck chick, rooting for you.
  • bkweibel
    bkweibel Posts: 77
    Options
    To be honest, that is something I struggle with myself. I don't see myself as beautiful and some days I just want to hide from the world. My boyfriend offers words, calling me "pretty lady" and such, but there are times I really don't believe it. I was given a proverbial kick in the butt by my doctor after some medical scares, so I decided to suck it up and joined MFP based on recommendations from a co-worker last week. I find that after I put in a good workout, I feel better about myself. Knowing that I have worked hard this past week and lost 2 pounds gives me reason to try even harder. It's never easy at first, but celebrating the little joys helps! Good luck!
  • nascent
    nascent Posts: 28
    Options
    The best advice I got when I was feeling like you was 'fake it till you make it'. Get going and just do it. Start counting calories and eating right and exercising. You may not feel it right away but the more you do it and the healthier you become the better you will feel. Try it!!

I second that. As counter-intuitive as it sounds the motivation doesn't always come first, you just have to do it. It's okay to be upset as long as you keep at it; soon you'll see results and then you won't want to stop!
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think you can until you "something" snaps in your brain and then you do it. I know what it was for me this time. I think everything has their snapping point and then there is no turning back from there.

I agree - something finally clicked in my brain a few months ago and after a slow start, I got myself in gear.
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    bump
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options

I completely agree here. For me, it was definitely something that I just woke up one day and told myself that I was going to start going down a healthier road and I've taken baby steps every step of the way to a healthier lifestyle. Remain accountable for everything you eat, celebrate every little accomplishment, set goals and challenge yourself! Best of luck!
  • Lollyvoddy
    Lollyvoddy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, I was like this a lot at the start, and I still have my moments. People will compliment me and I'll say, 'Nah, I shouldn't have let myself get so big in the first place.'

I was really angry at myself, and I used that anger as fuel. It's what got me out of bed at 5 am to workout. It's what kept me on track. Somewhere along the way, as I lost the weight, I lost the anger, sadness and self-loathing too. I let it go and thought, that was then, this is now. Sure, I still have my moments, but mostly, I feel proud of myself. And you will too.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Personally speaking I still flip flop between the two.
    Press on - keep working at it. The more weight you lose - the better you will feel. If you can get yourself into the swing of regular workouts - that is half the battle. I found it took a while to adjust to not eating the things that were once a part of my daily life. Now foods that I once loved dont taste as good as they used to. I used to drink 2 or 3 cans of pepsi today - but now it doesnt taste that great anymore.

Find something that will make a difference with your weightloss.
    My journey (re)began because I want to start a family and I think my weight is keeping me from that. So I battle daily thinking of the kids I will one day have.

I think everyone has a breaking point. Maybe you havent hit yours yet? Maybe you are just scratching the surface.
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options

This is how it was for me, too. I spent many years being fat and wanting to lose weight, but it never happened. When it all clicked, I just felt different. I *knew* it was going to be different. And it is.

OP: You have to find it within yourself. What a sh!tty answer, right? But it's true. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :heart:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I had one of those stereotypical turning points. I stepped on the scale and saw a number I never thought I would see. I decided the next day I would change. It didn't happen overnight. I made small steps day by day and hit a few snags along the way, but now I'm in a good stride.

Just make small changes to start with. Instead of fries or chips, order veggies or fruit as a side if you go out. Start replacing sodas and sweet drinks with water. Start walking every day even if it's just a small walk.

Do what you can but do what you can, if you know what I mean! :)
  • mbakken90
    mbakken90 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I saw a picture of myself one day and realized how big I had gotten. I then compared it to a picture of when I was at my skinniest. I cried A LOT but then I finally got my butt in gear. That was really my turning point. Now I keep the two pictures posted in my bathroom mirror asking myself if I worked out today and keeping my goals posted. It's help sooo much :)
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Start small. It's not just food I'm talking about. It's how you feel about yourself. You need to love and accept yourself first, then improve. Self loathing will get you nowhere and even if you reach a certain number, chances are that self loathing will still be there. You need to nurture yourself body, mind, and soul. Then you will be able to do what you need to do.
  • heretic911
    heretic911 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I hear you brokewing, I just started on here and have a long scary journey to make. So far just reaching out to the members on here has been a boost to me, and believe me I needed a boost:) As you can see from their replies the members of MFP have or are walking in our shoes they understand and have real experience not just empty slogans etc. from those who have never had more than 5lbs to lose. Good luck fellow traveller:)
  • wnw64
    wnw64 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was there for several years; a constant uptrend in weight, not happy with myself, not able to get out of the "rutt". with me, it took a scary trip to the hospital (intestinal issue that seemed like heart attack) & a horrible trip to the clothing store (faced with, yet again, going up in size) to force me to say - ENOUGH IS ENOUGH !!!

I have been on MFP & hitting the GYM for about 2months, have lost about 25lbs & have gone down a size in pants & I AINT DONE YET.

To me, you just have to say it's time for a change, tough it out a few weeks until your body adjusts & you will be amazed at that the change in how you feel phyically & mentally, believe me, I was there!

Best Wishes !
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Most of my life I felt I was living under a cloud of depression and it wasn't until I dealt with the reason for my pain that I was able to look at myself and say, this has to change. I spend one year completely alone with the exception of my husband and I dealt with my emotional issues and at the end of that year, which was this past December, I came out a new person.....ready to tackle life and my weight. I have no doubt the changes I've made are permanent and I have fallen in love with exercise, getting healthy and being healthy. I didn't start that way. I literally had to make myself exercise but I figured out during that year of solitude that I am what I tell myself I am and I am not a quitter! I started out by cutting out some of the most fattening foods and snacks and when I did that the weight started peeling off and that motivated me to start exercising. I exercised at home for about two months and decided I wanted to join a gym so I could use an elliptical......best move I ever made. I work out at that gym so much that all the regulars know me now and I have built up quite a friend base.....I love my new life and I hope you will start feeling this way too because there is nothing like the light at the end of that very dark tunnel we call depression!! Good luck to you on your journey and remember you are what you believe you are! :flowerforyou:
  • lauraashley614
    Options
    I know it's really lame, but everyone is right. A saying I like to use is "Everyday is a day to turn it around". I may not be there today, but I'm closer than I was yesterday. Also, I get inspirational quotes emailed to me, I follow Rev Run on Twitter cause he is always positive and I have a tendency to brood. And while sometimes I think its really corny, it makes me feel good (and that is what matters). I'm not religious, but sometimes it feels good to know that someone is caring for me when it seems like no one else does. And I also see a counselor about once a week because I was clinically depressed. I am no longer on medicine, but everyday is a struggle. I can choose to lay there and stew, or I can choose to do something about it. Well, I'm choosing to do something about it, and MFP is a important tool in helping me achieve my goal. Jan. 2010 I broke my foot in a random slip on the ice. I had to have surgery, I couldn't walk, I had to sit down in the shower, i had to use a wheelchair. I realized that I wasn't so bad off. So I told myself to ease pressure on my joints that I had to lose weight. To show my triumph, I wanted to run a 5K, to prove to myself that I was resilient enough to go from non walking to runnning. It is a great feeling to have a goal and work towards it.

And the inspirational posts from people who have lost more weight than I need to, also puts in it perspective for me.

I hope this helps and remember, this is why we are here! Lean on us if you need to!