The woes of working at a desk

Options
2»

Replies

• KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Desk job too. I don't get up as often as I should but when the restlessness hits I climb the stairwells. 3 story building so it probably looks odd, but it's a good workout.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    After a day of standing at a desk I still feel sooooo gross compared to my old job.

Try replacing the television watching with high intensity exercise. :+1:
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    @NorthCascades - why are you against bicycle desks? Just wondering

I just think they're silly, I doubt you'll get your money's worth from it.

A bike lets you put as much or as little as you want into it. You can sprint and race, or you can coast - which means not pedaling at all. But you have to do at least some work to get home. With the desk thing, you don't have to do any work with it, you can sit all day and not use it. So it's up to your motivation, which comes and goes. For sure, you're not going to work so hard at your bicycle desk that you're sweating and having trouble concentrating on your work.

Also, how many calories you burn on a bike depends on how hard you push down on the pedals and how fast you turn them. At the level of effort that's appropriate for being at work, it's going to be very few calories and do nothing for your cardiovascular fitness.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situatuon. If you think you get too much sitting why on God's green earth do you go home and sit in front of the television?

Skip thr tv and walk, run, go to the gym. Just move.
  • aurical84
    aurical84 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just try and get up frequently and walk around. I drink a lot of water (2-3 liters during my typical 9.5 hour work day) so I do actually have to take a lot of bathroom breaks. We also have a lot of meetings so I try to take a less than direct path to the meeting room. My office building is laid out so that the main corridors form a loop. Every time I get up to do something I try to make at least 1 complete circuit. If I had an office I would probably try to work in some stretches/exercises but I have a cube that opens to a busy area.

Luckily I live close to work and take the bus. I get about 2 miles walking in just going to/from the bus stops. I also take my dog on walks 1-2 times per day. I also live/work easy walking distance to several stores and a dominos pizza. Unless I'm going to be getting a lot of stuff (or just really heavy stuff) I'll walk.

I also recently got a misfit shine (fitbit competitor) which has been encouraging me to move more, especially on weekends when it's easy to be sedentary. I never really realized JUST how little I typically move on weekends.

I used to go down/up 3 floors to use the bathroom, but we moved buildings and I would now have to go down/up 7 floors O_o Not happening...

Management has attempted to get standing desks, but the order has been hung up in purchasing/contracts for almost a year. *sigh*
  • JessaWannaEatEverything
    JessaWannaEatEverything Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I'm in the same situatuon. If you think you get too much sitting why on God's green earth do you go home and sit in front of the television?

Skip thr tv and walk, run, go to the gym. Just move.

I work out before work and at least go on a long walk with the dogs after. So I'm totally okay with my guilty pleasure. I just used to have a job that let me walk all day, so this has been a big change for me.
    Options
    aurical84 wrote: »
    I just try and get up frequently and walk around. I drink a lot of water (2-3 liters during my typical 9.5 hour work day) so I do actually have to take a lot of bathroom breaks. We also have a lot of meetings so I try to take a less than direct path to the meeting room. My office building is laid out so that the main corridors form a loop. Every time I get up to do something I try to make at least 1 complete circuit. If I had an office I would probably try to work in some stretches/exercises but I have a cube that opens to a busy area.

Luckily I live close to work and take the bus. I get about 2 miles walking in just going to/from the bus stops. I also take my dog on walks 1-2 times per day. I also live/work easy walking distance to several stores and a dominos pizza. Unless I'm going to be getting a lot of stuff (or just really heavy stuff) I'll walk.

I also recently got a misfit shine (fitbit competitor) which has been encouraging me to move more, especially on weekends when it's easy to be sedentary. I never really realized JUST how little I typically move on weekends.

I used to go down/up 3 floors to use the bathroom, but we moved buildings and I would now have to go down/up 7 floors O_o Not happening...

Management has attempted to get standing desks, but the order has been hung up in purchasing/contracts for almost a year. *sigh*

Just looked up the MisFit, and it looks awesome! How long have you had it?
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Watch your Game of Thrones and Walking Dead on the treadmill. I put the big flatscreen in the kid's basement rec room on a swivel mount and got some headphones so I can watch tv while walking on days I don't run outside.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Nearby gym during lunch time? Is a park or lake near your job? Personally, I have a stationary bike in my bedroom so when I come home from work and watch tv, I watch it while on the bike. I also have an hour lunch. 30 mins of that I'm in the gym.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Like a lot of people I'm at a desk 8-10 hours a day. On top of that I have an hour commute both ways, so 12 hours a day before watching Game of Thrones or Walking Dead.

I'm looking for tips/tricks to stay fit at the office.

Things I've done so far
    -I bought a sit/stand desk, and a wobble board
    -Go on walks when I can
    -"car crunches"

Also, has anyone tried the bicycle desks? Under-desk Elliptical? Other random things people are trying to sell to us office peeps?

What is a wobble board?

I have a standing/sitting adjustable desk as well. Plus I have a gym with shower/locker room in my office so I workout almost every day at lunch. But I am very interested in anything else I can do...
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Like a lot of people I'm at a desk 8-10 hours a day. On top of that I have an hour commute both ways, so 12 hours a day before watching Game of Thrones or Walking Dead.

I'm looking for tips/tricks to stay fit at the office.

Things I've done so far
    -I bought a sit/stand desk, and a wobble board
    -Go on walks when I can
    -"car crunches"

Also, has anyone tried the bicycle desks? Under-desk Elliptical? Other random things people are trying to sell to us office peeps?

What is a wobble board?

I have a standing/sitting adjustable desk as well. Plus I have a gym with shower/locker room in my office so I workout almost every day at lunch. But I am very interested in anything else I can do...

A wobble board makes you.... wobble. haha. They have all kinds https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=wobble board

I looovveeee mine!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You can do simple bodyweight exercises at your desk-push ups, squats, tricep dips, step ups, etc.