Shift worker who also battles with hypothyroidism

Options
dawnsadler83
dawnsadler83 Posts: 3 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
As you can imagine 12 hour rotating (day and night) shift schedule wasn't hard enough adding a underactive thyroid to the mix and trying not to blow up. :-/ I'm 32 about 5'4" and currently 165lbs.

I'm just finishing up a 2 week "jump start" [high protein, low carbs] I feel good minus being extremely tired and weak-ish. I don't have my normal bloating in my stomach and I'm pretty sure I will have lost about 6-7 lbs. woot woot

I will be starting a pretty straight forward food regime after the 2 week jump start ends. Just curious if anyone has any recommended foods to consume more or less of for hypothyroidism?

Also a good maco count to stay with and or to help me lose fat? I've never done the macro counting thing so I don't really know where to start. Any recommendation and or explanation would be greatly appreciated! I do lift weights and do a good amount of cardio in a weeks time, just depends where I am at with my work rotation and how exhausted I feel.

Thanks for any feedback!

Replies

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    As long as your thyroid medication puts you at the right TSH level, there are no special tricks for low thyroid. I have hypothyroidism and take the synthetic thyroid daily. I have lost 59 pounds simply by eating in a calorie deficit. I exercise about 5-6 days per week doing cardio and lift 2-3 times per week. I don't cut out any foods or food groups. I have found that eating high protein keeps me feeling fuller longer and eating high fiber also does the same (but that is true for anyone, not just hypothyroidism). I also try to eat often enough so that I don't get too hungry and end up binging - I eat a banana mid morning to avoid the sugar spike and crash in mid afternoon- but again that would be true for anyone.
  • dawnsadler83
    dawnsadler83 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @ Dramaqueen45 do you take any vitamin? I normally take a Active women one but I believe I saw one that helps more with metabolism. Thoughts on special vitamin to use?
  • Fitlondongirlu
    Fitlondongirlu Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Eats meats and stay away from starchy foods. Concentrate on carb macros and it will fall off. Been bouncing back from hypothyroidism ❤
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Adding to my threads! I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism/Hashimoto's disease after spending probably the past 10 months trying to figure out the symptoms I was having. I have been on Synthroid for about 2 weeks and have already noticed a difference in my energy, now focusing on losing about 15lb that I've struggled to lose/crept back up over the year.