Time

Options
How long do you do strength training/lifting weights.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    From the time I start until I finish my planned sets/reps.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Give me a duration

How will this help you? Her sets/reps may be totally different than what is on your plan.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    It depends on what plan I am following and where I am in that plan. For example, running a 5x5 with 3 "big lift" exercises (squat, bench, deadlift, etc), could take as little as 30 min in the first week (lower weight, less recovery time) and as much as 60-75 min in later weeks (heavier weight, more warm-up sets, more recovery time). I would say that running a 5x5 (or 3x5) plus accessory work when I was lifting more would run 90 min to 2 hours - but that would also depend on how busy the gym is that day. Some days were much longer due to wait times for equipment, other days I would zip in and out.

Working out at home, I go for plans that are 20-30 minutes, and have seen good results with those as well. Your personal goals are going to dictate the workout plan and the amount of time you need to devote to lifting. I found 1-2 hours a day in the gym to be unsustainable for me, so I switched plans but I'm happy with what I'm doing now.
  • Charlot4444
    Charlot4444 Posts: 170 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I strength train 2 times a week for about 50 minutes. Once a week at 1.5 hours (different type of workout than the other days).

However I also do a ton of cardio (teach zumba) and do yoga 2 times a week too.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Just getting back into it. I'm using a Chuck Norris machine knockoff that uses body weight for resistance. I spend about 20 minutes on it.
    60 minutes on the treadmill when I do cardio days.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Never more than an hour, excluding warm up and stretching.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Give me a duration

This totally depends on how heavy the weights are and how much rest is needed. I'm at about 40 mins right now.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Give me a duration

49 minutes one day last week
    64 minutes another day last week
    70 minutes another day last week
    54 minutes the fourth day last week

It's not always the same though. I could do the 49 minute workout this week but need longer rest periods or add a few reps and it will take longer. Or I might do less rest and fewer reps and it would take less time.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    depends on the muscle group. Can be as little as 25 minutes if working arms and over an hour if working legs.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    60-90 mins depending on what I'm working.

Legs are always 75 mins during the week (legs are way more taxing than upper body work for me) and 90 mins on the weekend bc I add in accessory work.

Upper body is 60 mins during the week and 75 mins on the weekend. I have time for pull ups on the weekend.

with out knowing someone's routine this info is not very useful

I will say this, If one is training longer than 90 mins they need less time for rest between sets or a better program...ijs
  • kgeyser
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »

Legs are always 75 mins during the week (legs are way more taxing than upper body work for me) and 90 mins on the weekend bc I add in accessory work.

Upper body is 60 mins during the week and 75 mins on the weekend. I have time for pull ups on the weekend.

I will say this, If one is training longer than 90 mins they need less time for rest between sets or a better program...ijs

Or a less crowded gym with more equipment.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

Yep never considered this....I go at 5 am for this very reason. Its too people-y after work. I don't like people who go to the gym even if they are grinding. They are grinding and hustling with equipment I need to use and I'm cooling down.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

Yep never considered this....I go at 5 am for this very reason. Its too people-y after work. I don't like people who go to the gym even if they are grinding. They are grinding and hustling with equipment I need to use and I'm cooling down.

This is so me! I go at 5:30am and the other day there were 7 people at the gym and I was annoyed. I hate going after work because it's too "people-y"
  • kgeyser
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

Seriously - there was one squat rack. One. One set of bumper plates for everyone. The childcare was only open during peak hours, so not much choice there. 3 people sharing the rack wasn't uncommon.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I belong to a small lifting/strongman gym. Everybody knows everybody, so no matter what's on my program for that day or how many people are there, I can plan on a good 2 hours.