Quinoa

Options
anybody know anything about it? (namely, how to cook it, what it's good with etc)

thanks!

Replies

• PW6543
    PW6543 Posts: 4
    Options
    anybody know anything about it? (namely, how to cook it, what it's good with etc)

thanks!
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    let me know too! I bought some from Whole Foods and haven't cooked it yet...namely because I have no idea how to cook it.
    Options
    This is what I had found out about Quinoa

Though not technically a grain, quinoa can substitute for nearly any grain in cooking. Actually the seed of a leafy plant, quinoa’s relatives include spinach, beets and Swiss chard. Due to its delicate taste and rich amounts of protein, iron, potassium and other vitamins and minerals, it is quite popular. It is also a good source of dietary fiber and is easily digested.

Quinoa is an ancient crop that grows in poor soil, dry climates and even mountain altitudes. It is native to the Andes, but is also grown in South America and the Colorado Rocky Mountains. Although it can grow in arid conditions, it thrives best in well-drained soil. You should be able to find quinoa in health food stores and larger supermarkets.

A quinoa grain is flat and has a pointed oval shape. The grains exist is several colorations, including yellow, red, brown and black. When cooked, quinoa expands to about three or four times its size. It also has a unique texture; the grain itself is smooth and creamy, but the tail of the grain has a crunchy texture.

When preparing quinoa, you should rinse it first to remove any powdery residue. The simplest way to do this is to place the grains in a strainer and rinse until the water runs clear. For a roasted flavor, toast the quinoa in a dry skillet for about five minutes.

To cook, bring one part quinoa and two parts liquid to a boil; cover and reduce to a simmer for about 15 minutes or until the grains are translucent. You can also use a rice cooker to prepare quinoa. Some people cook and eat quinoa as they would oatmeal. As a breakfast food, combine the quinoa with honey, nuts or berries.

Other recipes include quinoa as an ingredient in soups, stews, and pilafs. With its slightly nutty taste, quinoa is sometimes used in bread, muffins, bagels, cookies, and pancakes. Store quinoa tightly sealed in a cool dry location or in the refrigerator or freezer for longer periods. The leaves of the quinoa plant are also edible, similar to spinach leaves.
  • megan0313
    megan0313 Posts: 394
    Options
    I just bought some and have been checking out some recipes (I'll post them later), but I haven't worked up the courage to actually try it yet :ohwell: I'm not really big on grains, but they are so good for you I'm determined to add more to my diet.
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    Yup you need to rinse it and then about 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water. Bring to a boil then cover and reduce to simmer for about 15 min. Then fluff with a fork.

Here is what I have for breakfast or lunch a few times a week. 1/2 cup cooked quinoa, 1/2 avocado chopped, a squirt of lemon juice from fresh lemon, a sprinkle of Braggs liquid aminos and a sprinkle of cayanne pepper. I love it its warm and so filling that I rarely need a snack before my next meal after I eat this.
    My friends either hate this or love it. Personally Ilove the combination of flavors.

To give credit to the proper place. This is a variation of a recipie from Back to the House ofHealth by Shelley and Robert Young.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    you cook it just like rice - 2 cups of water to one cup quinoa. It tastes good with bouillion in it. It is very high in fibre and protein
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Definitely toast first before adding water to boil if not it can have a very green taste to it. It is great in red beans and rice - sub quinoa for the rice. It is much better for you than rice and is very good to eat just toast first. I like to toast a cup of it with onion in a little olive oil cook onion first until translucent then add quinoa and garlic and onion powder to taste and sautee a little longer on low then add the water and boil until grain is done. What I would like to find is a Quinoa pudding like a rice pudding if anyone finds one pass me the link please! :bigsmile:
    Amy

118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    toasting, rinsing. This all depends on what brand you buy. I buy Ancient Harvest. No toasting or rinsing required. I use it in place of rice. I just had some for lunch today with stir fry.
    I like to make enough for the week. Stir fry some vegies. Put in small containers for a quick and easy lunch.
    You can also add alittle milk, cinnamon or nutmeg and eat it for breakfast.

Even my husband eats it!
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    Ive never toasted mine either. The stuff I buy from Giant doesnt have to be rinsed but when I buy in bulk from a local health food store I do need to rinse...I discoved that the hard way lol.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I read about it in Cooking Light. I'll have to try it sometime... I should probably finish my brown rice that I have on the shelf for a very long time first though.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I hate it when that happens! Double post! Sorry
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    MMMM quinoa. I LOVE quinoa. I mix it with chicken or fish or vegies. My favorite thing in the world to do is to steam about 2 cups of vegies and mix it with 1/2 cup quinoa. You really don't have to add anything else except a little salt and you have a super yummy quick fairly light calorie no fat dish. And quinoa has tons of protein in it. I haven't had it in quite a while. Thanks for the reminder... I'm gonna go buy me some!!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I read you can use a rice cooker. Also works real well with Steel Cut Oats. :flowerforyou:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I made a nice pilaf with quinoa, peas, and sage...yummy! I posted the recipe long time ago--
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/17859-quinoa-recipe?hl=quinoa+pilaf#posts-151366

I finally made it & it's good. :flowerforyou:
  • miasuperstar
    Options
    Yes, YUMMY! this what I had for dinner tonight, just about 20 min ago. V ery satisfying!
  • iwant2stayhealthy
    Options
    I've been eating it for years. ITA...the preparation all depends on the brand. Sometimes I treat it like kasha..I first rinse it if needed and let it drain. I sautee chopped onions, celery, carrots and red and/or yellow pepper with salt, pepper, parsley (all to taste). Then I add the quinoa and a low sodium low msg bullion cube (beef or chicken or veggie as you prefer) and cover it with water and cover the pan and lower the flame to simmer. I check periodically and add water as needed, a bit at a time until light and fluffy. Or else you can simply steam it as you wish and add everything else I listed. I keep it in a sealed container once it's cooked and just nuke a portion either as a snack or as a side.

I also love to use it in stuffed peppers (I prefer red or yellow peppers) and stuffed cabbage instead of rice. For the peppers, I mix it (already steamed) with sauteed chopped onions, peppers, shredded cabbage, parsley, salt, pepper, (all done in either a non stick pan or a pan sprayed with PAM or something like that) then add, 1 tsp of either olive, grapeseed or canola oil, one low sodium no msg boullion cube (disolved) and a one whipped medium egg to bind it. If you want, and it's on your calorie allotment, you can either add a bit of low fat, part skim, or whole mozzerella or pepper jack cheese, or even one tsp of parmesan. Spoon on about 1/2 cup of pasta sauce of choice Bake in a 350 oven until lightly browned.

I use both red and also white quinoa. I also love it mixed with lentils, sauteed onions mixed with pepper, a bit of salt, low sodium bullion cube (beef, veggie or chicken) black pepper, cumin, coridander and curry powder to make a really tasty side dish with a middle eastern, Indian type taste. If you are adventurous you can also add some toasted slivered almonds and/or raisins if it fits in your diet plans.

I love to cook and I love to make dishes interesting...and nonfattening and healthy too.

It's very nutricious, high in fiber and protein and is a complex carb and it really healthy. YUMMY!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: