I am very heavy I need help

Options
I need help and motivation wise and I am way too big I eat fast food every night need motivation

Replies

• sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    What can you replace fast food with? Why don't you try to cook your meals instead? You said you are very heavy..Does that mean you have 50+ to lose or 100+ to lose. Use the search and type that in. You'll find MFP groups that are very motivational with people facing the same issues that you are. Everything is a process. I've been obese before. It's mind over matter and learning to make healthy choices
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes from within, from goals and a desire to change. What is your goal? Pick one small change to make and build from there. No one changes 100% in a day and keeps their weight off :) Take baby steps, move a little more and eat a little less and you'll achieve whatever you set out to. 1lb at a time and celebrate every small success.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Hey Bubbles, pick a reasonable goal and work towards it. Don't look at weight charts that say you should be 110 pounds and set that as a goal. Start with 10 pounds or a smaller size. Something you can reach in a reasonable time frame. I started at 233 pounds and did 10 pounds at a time. I'm still a long ways from what the weight charts say I should weigh but I feel so much better and am under 200! That was one of my mini goals. The "experts" say for my height I should weigh 125. Not likely to happen but who knows. I would be thrilled to be 165 so for now that is my big goal. My next mini goal though is 190. Also be willing to make this a lifestyle change. Whatever program you use make sure it is something you can do permanently with just a few upgrades for maintenance. I've done all the crash diets and even had a lap band. None of them work because you are so hungry once you quit them you gain it all back. You CAN reach your goals just be willing to do it slowly.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Good luck to you, Bubbles. Get in the game and start trying! MFP has a lot of tools to help.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Browse through the "success stories". Some of the threads there have been amazing and hopefully will inspire you.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    Motivation comes from within, from goals and a desire to change. What is your goal? Pick one small change to make and build from there. No one changes 100% in a day and keeps their weight off :) Take baby steps, move a little more and eat a little less and you'll achieve whatever you set out to. 1lb at a time and celebrate every small success.

Yessss! This! Take it one day at a time, and plan ahead! Small victories are VICTORIES! Step one: no fast food for dinner tonight :) Tomorrow, same thing... keep it going, and add in small changes as you go. Drink more water. Take a walk after dinner. Walk around your house when you talk on the phone. You can do it!!!
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Browse through the "success stories". Some of the threads there have been amazing and hopefully will inspire you.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I used to eat fast food every night after work. One day I just stopped, and I started cooking my own nutritious meals. This is one of the first of many steps I took in order to change my lifestyle.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Deciding to lose weight and actually doing it is definitely a mental battle, but it can be done. You can't just say "I want to lose weight" and just leave it there. Start by setting small goals, otherwise, it will all seem so overwhelming and you will want to give up. Here are a few suggestions:

- If you drink a lot of sugary beverages throughout the day all week long, try cutting it down to 1 sugary beverage per day. And then, 1 or two per week.
    - Fast food is usually extremely high in calories, so try cutting it down to a couple times a week. Don't worry about trying to eat all the "good" foods, the foods you think you need to eat for weight loss. As long as you're not taking in more calories than you burn, you'll start to lose weight.
    - Eat what you would normally eat, but cut down how much of it you are eating. If you haven't already done so, find out what your TDEE is (by Googling, "what's my TDEE?"), and how many calories you need to to be eating in order to be in a deficit, and stick to them on a consistent basis. Just Google "deficit calories to lose weight", and you'll come across some helpful articles to give you an idea of what those numbers should look like.
    - Exercise isn't absolutely necessary for weight loss, but it will assist you. And once you get the hang of it, you should start to feel more energetic and healthy, even if you just go for a 20 minute walk.
    - Be patient, this process takes time. If you start off losing a lot in the first couple months, it will start to slow down. And don't rely too heavily on the scale - my pants are practically hanging off of me although my weight loss is slow going (slow is not a bad thing).

Good luck!
  • ReadyforOctober
    ReadyforOctober Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have felt lack of motivation too. But it is true what everyone here is saying. No one can give you the motivation you need, it does have to happen from within. A spark has to ignite inside of yourself to want to make a change. What motivates me is reading all the success stories and the before after pics people post. It proves to me that no matter how many pounds, they can be shed. Then I say to myself if they can do it so can I. I too struggle with getting up and doing something about it every single day, but every time I trip, I stand back up and go at it again. I wont stop until I reach my goal. It's all about consistency and determination. Oh don't forget time because it definitely won't happen over night.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    We cant give you motivation.

perhaps help you along. I know making more friends here and seeing their progress in their journeys is super helpful to me, as well as being positive and supportive of them. Sometimes when I really want to eat the junk or not do the work out I look on tumblr (instagram, anywhere on the internet) for motivational posts and blogs to follow and read. That usually does the trick.

Ive seen recommendations for creating a "motivation" wall/board. Take quotes and maybe images of what youre trying to achieve and make them into a collage.

as for eating fast food every night, that has nothing to do with you being heavy and everything to do with you being lazy. If you cant stand long enough to cook a decent home cooked meal, try sitting in a chair that allows you to reach the stove without burning yourself or just try your best to tough it out. If its an "addiction" you have to get yourself out of the cycle. Easiest way to do this is meal prep. I'm not saying cut it out entirely at first (bc youll probably just end up bingeing on it), but definitely cut it back. Go out and get you some good foods, leans meats, veggies, fruits, nuts whatever you like to eat, and a food scale, and start weighing your foods and prepreparing them for the week or next few days at least.

So add some friends, try meal planning, and just stick to it. It sucks and its hard at first but its kind of addicting and theres so many people here that are so supportive and that is motivation enough imo.
  • zugunruhey
    zugunruhey Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you eat fast food literally every night then it's going to be tough (and probably setting yourself up for failure) if you try to immediately switch to all home cooked meals, especially if you're not an experienced cook.

Do the fast food places you visit have nutritional information available? You might have to look online for it but hopefully it's available. Use that information and pick out options that match your calorie goals.

Personal example, I love pizza, fries, and burritos. I still eat these foods and am continuing to lose weight! The only difference is I now eat portions that fit into my daily calorie count. Losing weight doesn't have to mean not eating fast food, it just means being aware of how much you're eating.

Of course eating fast food every day isn't great for you. After a week or two of changing your eating habits to smaller fast food meals I would move on to only eating fast food every other day. Then after a few more weeks (or longer, if you're struggling) only eat fast food 2-3 times a week. You can eventually take it down to once a week or less if you want. The important thing is to not make too many lifestyle changes at once, because that's how people get overwhelmed and quit. Your eating habits didn't develop in a week, it's going to take more than a week to permanently alter them. But you can alter them!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Silly me I waited until I was in my fifties before I called in the professionals. If you know this job is too big on your own then do go seek out help. I suggest a flesh-and-blood support team beyond what the internet can offer.

I have a reading assignment for you, Habit by Duhigg. After you read the book, come back with some ideas what might be triggering your fast food nights and what you might try to shake up those old habits.
  • Kassi81
    Kassi81 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Yes, this is what I was going to suggest! Reading success stories here is what finally got my motivation up. I kept feeling like I had too much weight to lose, and that it would be a waste of time to even try. Reading the stories and seeing the pictures of people's amazing accomplishments was so inspiring to me! I still go and look through them when I'm struggling.

Best of luck!
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If you are asking someone else to motivate you then you probably aren't really ready to lose weight. When you get sick and tired of being sick and tired you will find the motivation.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Why do you eat fast food so much? Is it ease? Do you know how to create nice meals? If you give home cooking a go - it does get easier.
  • emmooney235
    emmooney235 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, you need to find your why but these boards are helpful. I've been at this for a while and I still struggle everyday. I've lost and gained back the same 20 pounds a few times now. I'm so frustrated with myself that I plan on sitting down this weekend and overhauling my profile with new goals and a better game plan.

While you work out your motivation, start taking baby steps with your lifestyle. Try cutting back on calorie filled drinks and adding more water. Now I have maybe one can of soda a week (I used to be able to kill 2 2-liter bottles a day) and I feel so much better. I've recently had to switch to a low sodium food plan and I felt 100% better in less than a week.

I'm the kind of person that can eat the same thing for a week so I spend a good part of my Sundays cooking and packing up individual portions. You could start with just one meal for the week like an egg bake or healthy muffins. That gives you an easy meal you don't have to think about. Pintrest, Google, and food network are great resources, and every recipe can be made healthier with a few tweaks!
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    When I started with MFP, I didn't worry about eating "properly." I just ate what I wanted, including fast food while also CUTTING back on the calories. If you follow MFP's calorie setting then you should lose weight. It's also important that you know just how much you're eating. If you're just getting started, don't even worry about losing weight. Just record your food so you know where you stand calorie wise. Then make a plan, as others have said. If you have a lot to lose it's a little easier because you'll get a lot of calories at first and as you lose that count goes down so you have time to adjust to a lower calorie count.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    You gotta want it for yourself.