Help me! Secrets?

Any lifestyle advice needed. Things that work, things that don't etc....

Replies

• suzilla53
    suzilla53 Posts: 65 Member
    Keep trying foods you initially don't like, I have learned to love plain unsalted boiled Brussels sprouts.eating slowly,really tasting the food.Pitcher of water on the counter to drink all day.Alpine light hot apple cider at night cures my sugar craving.I weigh everything and log everything.It gets faster.Advoid eating out, I feel it definitely was my downfall.You won't miss it .
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    edited May 2016
    Any lifestyle advice needed. Things that work, things that don't etc....

Eat a variety of foods that you enjoy. Don't throw out all the foods you love.
    Look at specific nutritional content and how a food fits in your diet as a whole instead of vaguely labeling foods junk or unhealthy.
    Try to get enough protein and fats. It can help you feel more satisfied and your body needs these to function well.
    Eat some vegetables and fruits. Most are pretty low calorie so you can eat a lot. Pair with smaller portions of higher calorie foods.
    Experiment with different cooking methods, combinations and ingredients. Raw or steamed vegetables can taste pretty different than roasted or grilled.
    Use spices, herbs, vinegars, salsa, hot sauce, garlic, onion for low calorie flavor additions.
    Log everything as accurately as you can and stick to your calorie goal. Get a food scale.
    Look up nutritional information for restaurants.
    Prelogging can be helpful to making sure you are hitting your goals.
  • BadAssAries
    BadAssAries Posts: 66 Member
    Counting calories for sure. Cooking my own meals; they're just healthier. And some kind of exercise. I've started walking to build up to running & I find it pleasant.
  • flutters_me2
    flutters_me2 Posts: 9 Member
    Thank you all. :) I struggle every minute with food. I love food! Dieting always makes me want more food! I constantly think about food. So for me it's the hardest thing to do. I don't mind exercising. I do it daily in some form. I try to move move move as much as possible. I have lost 20lbs since September. With a lot of bad food choices. Can't seem to find the happy medium. Sweets are my failure. I crave them. Especially after dinner. I do eat the fiber one products to get the sweets plus fiber and low cal. How does everyone not think bout eating 24/7 ???
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    I used to be like that too, constantly thinking about eating and once I started I had a hard time stopping. For me it turned out just to be a (bad) habit in the end. Once I changed my routine and behaviors I found it so easy to stop and now I don't even want to mindlessly eat anymore (I still enjoy the food I can have a lot though) - I would have never thought that was possible for me. So it did come down to some will power in the beginning but it got a lot easier since then.
    What also helped me is try to only eat food that offers something good for my body, protein, fiber, healthy fats or vitamins/minerals. This made me want to eat sweets and empty calories way less.
    But if you have lost 20 lbs since September, you are doing something right! Just keep plugging along, even when it is hard.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Thank you all. :) I struggle every minute with food. I love food! Dieting always makes me want more food! I constantly think about food. So for me it's the hardest thing to do. I don't mind exercising. I do it daily in some form. I try to move move move as much as possible. I have lost 20lbs since September. With a lot of bad food choices. Can't seem to find the happy medium. Sweets are my failure. I crave them. Especially after dinner. I do eat the fiber one products to get the sweets plus fiber and low cal. How does everyone not think bout eating 24/7 ???

Losing 2 lbs is a major accomplishment.

I'm concerned when you say that you think about eating 24/7. I mean, I like food and think about it often, and I look forward to meals and snacks, and I have been known to indulge on special and not-so-special occasions. But I can't say I think about food constantly.

What's your diet like? Are you restricting too much? What do you weigh, what's your goal, and what's your calorie budget?

You know you don't have to eat low cal foods to get in some sweets, right? It's OK to have sweets provided you fit them into your budget.
  • Jamiempang
    Jamiempang Posts: 39 Member
    I don't think about food 24/7 because I'm eating more calories than most people eat when dieting. I don't give up my sweets, I just eat them less often and fit them into my calories and macros. I find healthy alternatives to some junk food so that I don't feel deprived. I avoid most processed foods... and honestly that helps with cravings.
  • flutters_me2
    What exercise do u all log?
  • flutters_me2
    edited May 2016

Jruzer wrote: »

I'm concerned when you say that you think about eating 24/7. I mean, I like food and think about it often, and I look forward to meals and snacks, and I have been known to indulge on special and not-so-special occasions. But I can't say I think about food constantly.

What's your diet like? Are you restricting too much? What do you weigh, what's your goal, and what's your calorie budget?

You know you don't have to eat low cal foods to get in some sweets, right? It's OK to have sweets provided you fit them into your budget.

I'm 184lbs. I want to b 140 . I'm 5 ft 3in. I had a twin pregnancy then a singleton immediately after. So I was pregnant for close to 2hrs. Lol. But I find I have zero will power. I work around food. I'm home with 3 toddlers all day alone. So if they snack, I want to. Etc... I do have a slight addiction to food.
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    The secret is that there is no secret.

Absolutely this! It really is just maintaining a deficit.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member

I'm 184lbs. I want to b 140 . I'm 5 ft 3in. I had a twin pregnancy then a singleton immediately after. So I was pregnant for close to 2hrs. Lol. But I find I have zero will power. I work around food. I'm home with 3 toddlers all day alone. So if they snack, I want to. Etc... I do have a slight addiction to food.

I wish I had more to offer you. I have a harder time on the weekends when I'm home than I do during the week when I'm at work. Little kids have to eat, and they constantly leave food, so it can be difficult.

The good news is that it can be done! Perhaps you've set your calorie budget too tightly? Are you set to lose 2 lbs/week? Maybe try being kinder to yourself an reduce it to 1 lb/week or even 1/2 lb per week?

Re: exercise logging - I log intentional walks and bike rides, weight lifting, and various cardio type exercises: elliptical, treadmill, etc. I've lost about 50 lbs eating all my exercise calories too.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    You'll get lots of tips I'm sure, my favorite one is meal planning. It doesn't take me very long, but I plan out dinners for a whole week and pick out the snacks and lunch options for that week. I shop once, and on Sundays I prep the lunch options and portion out snacks for my husband and I (sometimes we have the same lunch, sometimes it's two different meals). This prep work means I'm not stopping at the store for pizza because I don't know what to cook, I always have everything I need on hand, and I can also adjust my snacks if I want a higher calorie dinner. This is easy to plan because I know on Sunday that on Thursday will be pizza night and so I only pack 4 bags of nuts and skip those nuts on pizza night for an extra slice.

This planning ahead is also hand in hand with prelogging my day into MFP. I already planned the meals but logging them in also shows me exactly where I stand, maybe I have extra for a treat or maybe I should plan an extra walk if I want something in particular.
  • am_change
    am_change Posts: 1,010 Member
    Come and join us in this postpartum group where we encourage each other and do a weekly weigh in.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/113945-fit-fabulous-postpartum