Feel like I'm dying...

Options

Replies

• egifford
    egifford Posts: 8
    Options
    I think there are several things that may be beneficial for you:
    1. Definitely do get your thyroid checked. My husband and alot of my family have thyroid problems, which can effect so many other aspects of your life. Thyroidism, depression, and anxiety often times go hand in hand as well.
    2. If you are able to see a cognative therapist that would be great too. Cognative therapy is very interesting. It is basically based on the fact that negative thoughts are thinking errors that can be identified and corrected. A cognative therapists helps you identify your thinking errors and gives you the tools to over come them. There is a really good book called "Feeling Good, the New Mood Therapy," by Dr. Burns. It's only a couple bucks at the store, but very very good. Another book that looks really good is called "Battlefield of the Mind." This is also written by a very well known female cognative therapist and she discusses her battles as well as other people's and how to overcome them.
    3. If you are able to find a really good chiropractor that you can see a couple times a week. This would be very helpful too. All of the nerves in your body are connected to vital organs. When a joint is out of place in your body it stops or inhibits the blood flow to important organs, which, in turn can have alot of bad side effects. When your body is properly adjusted, the blood is flowing to all your organs as it should be and helps you feel better physically and mentally.
    I really hope this helps you. I do wish you all the best. Take one day at a time. You can over come this!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you about me. I've been a vegetarian for 15 years, but really just a junk- a- tarian since I mostly ate processed veggie fast food and lots of pasta and cheese. I've had a bout with cancer, have a benign tumor on my pituitary and have had multiple sprains on both knees and ankles. I have a tron ACL on on knee and had surgery to correct a torn menicus repair on the other. Walking is uncomfortable 75% of the time and occasionally I limp. I have insomnia. Like you I was constantly tired. I wasn't depressed, but I would say I was severely stressed. The stress got so bad that I contracted shingles. not just any case, but a rather severe case on my face. It was serious enough that the doctor took pictures to use as a teaching case. FYI, Shingles on the body is a walk in the park compared to having them on your face. I still have postherpathic neuralgia from the shingles, leaving the left side of my face feeling like I just left the dentist and was shot full of Novocaine. Occasionally I would have weird allergic reactions of unknown origin. My face and or lips would swell. usually lasted anywhere from a few hours to a few days. My feet/ankles and legs were swollen to the point where it was painful to walk.

You know what changed things for me? I went to see a naturapathic doctor. I see you are in Tokyo, they should have them there. The first thing she did was strip my diet down No dairy,no gluten, no processed foods, no fermented soy, no refined flours and sugars, no soda and no coffee. Eat at least 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. I started slowly working out. I took water aerobics 2 x's a week . Drink as much water as you can stand/ The new diet took a bit of getting used to as it means reading labels like crazy.

Gradually my strength returned and as I got stringer, I increased my workouts. I now take water aerobics 4 x's a week. My face stopped swelling randomly. We think the artificial and processed foods were causing the allergic reactions. I don;t know if my coping became better or if the stress simply stopped bothering me, but things just became better. My knees still bother me, but walking is easier and I can walk for longer distances. I also found that the more I take water aerobics, the less they bother me. My energy level is really good. Seriously unless you have ever been a person who was tired all the time, you cannot appreciate it. I feel like a huge weight has been removed.

Better yet, I am losing weight. I eat soy and dairy in very limited quantities. I can go out and eat with friends in social situations. I can even occasionally eat a piece of chocolate. Sugar cravings, salt cravings are gone. I am once again wearing size 8 ½ - 9 shoes, whereas last summer I bought a pair of size 12 sandals for my swollen feet.

I know people scoff at clean eating, but for me it has made a huge difference. It is also very easy for me to eat in a reasonable manner with out chemicals and processed foods in my life. All those chemicals were slowly killing me and I wasn't even aware.

Feel free to look at my diary. It's not perfect, but I eat a lot of food and am always satisfied. I am never hungry. In fact there are times that I struggle to eat. I don't miss any of the foods I have given up and I don't ever need a "cheat meal" or "cheat day".
  • tamarawisniewski
    tamarawisniewski Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Doug~
    First off, DON"T GIVE UP ON YOURSELF! You are an important person and you are worth fighting for. If you had a friend who came to you feeling as low as you do now, you would tell this person to be good to him/herself and keep trying.

Second: have you considered seeing a chiropracter or holistic practioner? Sometimes they have ideas that are non-invasive and primarily about overall wellness (emotional as well as physical). They are not particularly expensive and some insurance providers will cover the cost.
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've just sent you a friend request with a message....

I don't have much else to add except this - you sound like you are on a very dangerous edge here, and you've just about given up. BUT, I also hear a shred of hope, THAT'S WHY YOU CAME HERE, and you DID THE RIGHT THING.

Honey, it is NEVER too late, NEVER hopeless... there IS a plan out there that WILL work for you, something YOU CAN DO - and we'll help you figure it out!

Personally, I just started The 17 Day Diet and I'm loving it! For more info, go to my blog or message me and I'll be glad to share more.

Look at the great advice you've received so far - keep coming here all day, multiple times a day, and honey, before you know it you'll be posting your Before and After pics and someone else will message YOU for support!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Ice
  • douglernerold
    Options
    Thanks, again, people for all your responses.

This is an extra reply to posts after my last post.

Thyroid

I believe that comprehensive blood tests I've run over the past year checking into this and that included my thyroid, and all those values indicated normal ranges.

Cognative therapy

I don't believe I have many English based therapy alternatives here. Plus, to be honest, I'm hesitant about that. But it sounds interesting.

Chiropractor

Since it turned out not to be a bone/joint problem, is that really helpful? There are tons of clinics here, but I thought that was specifically for bone and joint problems, when the conclusion seems to be my leg pain and lack of strength is due to an impacted nerve.

Naturapathic doctor

I'm not familiar with the term. If there is some such doctor nearby I'll check it out. If I have to ride hours on the trains to find one, to be honest, I probably won't.

Vegetarianism

I keep flirting with this because it seems healthier and sustainable. Plus in hot summer weather it seems more refreshing. I've never had great luck with it though. I mentioned in my first post trying the E2 diet by Kip Esselstyn, the firefighter son of the doctor who treated Bill Clinton and turned him vegan and got him to lose weight and, reportedly, protect his heart. My problem is my energy sinks even lower after a week of being vegan. Plus I get digestive problems. Also, the diet calls for the use of whole grains and, believe it or not, I can't find whole wheat bread or pasta, or whole grain cereals (or even cereals without sugar being one of the first 2 or 3 items) in any of the stores in my neighborhood. Tofu is high in fat, which is problematic on that diet. Which doesn't leave many possibilities. Have you tried to find foods with less than 25% fat, no added sugar and no refined grain products in them? Here it's all but impossible.

Maybe I need a variation on "clean eating" that realistically fits into what is conveniently available.

Thanks everybody else also. I suppose I do feel rather "at the breaking point" lately.

Oh, and I do have before and after pics. Unfortunately they have turned into before-after-back-to-before pics.

doug
  • rachelllk
    rachelllk Posts: 63
    Options
    This is really heart breaking to read. Dieting can be extremely stressful, especially when you have an injury and find it difficult to be active. I don't mean this to be offensive at all, but due to your impaired mobility with your leg...have you tried chair exercises for seniors? Maybe if you order some hand and leg weights you can slowly build up strength. Also consider seeing a physical therapist or personal trainer, even just for one session. They could probably help you design some exercises catered to your current situation. As for dieting, because it's been on and off for you in the past I wouldn't try anything drastic. Maybe just slowly change your diet...one item at a time (i.e. buy whole wheat bread instead of white, then extra lean meat rather than regular meat) I'm going to keep you in my prayers, stay strong!
  • douglernerold
    Options
    I can't believe it's been 6 months since I posted it.

Anyway, I'm still alive.

Some updates:

1. My weight has barely changed the last 6 months. I went into a period of severe depression for a while and actually didn't feel like eating for a while and my weight dropped by about 10 lb. But it has since returned. This morning I was 131.2 kg - about 1 kg less than when I posted 6 months ago.

2. I'm dealing with my depression. I decided it was mostly financial (huge credit card debts due to the company I was working for failing) and decided to sell one of my houses and pay off those debts. Fortunately it was not under water, and will close in a couple of weeks. Income is still very unstable, but I'm coping.

3. For some reason my leg paid completely vanished a few months ago. I did have an orthopedic surgeon take x-rays when it was hurting, and he found nothing wrong in the bones or joints and suggested a nerve was being impacted. The impacted nerve must have suddenly stopped being impacted because for the past several months or more I have no leg pain at all and can move about normally.

4. I am not experiencing severe energy problems right now - unless I eat too much. Then I get extremely lethargic.

So, today being New Year's Even I'm going to try, yet again, to make a new year's resolution to start a low-calorie diet and log everything. We'll see how it goes.

I with the quick calorie entry here would less us enter an optional description instead of just a number. That's easier for me than trying to find the actual food item to enter.

Thanks,

doug
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I think there are several things that may be beneficial for you:
    1. Definitely do get your thyroid checked. My husband and alot of my family have thyroid problems, which can effect so many other aspects of your life. Thyroidism, depression, and anxiety often times go hand in hand as well.
    2. If you are able to see a cognative therapist that would be great too. Cognative therapy is very interesting. It is basically based on the fact that negative thoughts are thinking errors that can be identified and corrected. A cognative therapists helps you identify your thinking errors and gives you the tools to over come them. There is a really good book called "Feeling Good, the New Mood Therapy," by Dr. Burns. It's only a couple bucks at the store, but very very good. Another book that looks really good is called "Battlefield of the Mind." This is also written by a very well known female cognative therapist and she discusses her battles as well as other people's and how to overcome them.
    3. If you are able to find a really good chiropractor that you can see a couple times a week. This would be very helpful too. All of the nerves in your body are connected to vital organs. When a joint is out of place in your body it stops or inhibits the blood flow to important organs, which, in turn can have alot of bad side effects. When your body is properly adjusted, the blood is flowing to all your organs as it should be and helps you feel better physically and mentally.
    I really hope this helps you. I do wish you all the best. Take one day at a time. You can over come this!

Agree with all this and was going to suggest a chiro as well and a good massage therapist. I messed up my leg a couple of years ago, ortho found nothing wrong (ie torn, etc) and only some mild arthritis (thank you years of softball and b-ball). He wanted to do surgery and I sought other more natural methods. I absolutely love love love my chiro and firmly believe in them.

Hang in there!
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hi Doug, glad to see you're hanging in there and that the leg pain and energy issues have improved. My father has experienced declining health and energy, and one of the hardest parts to watch is his inability to do things that are important to him. I can only imagine how frustrating that must get. Hopefully now that some of those other issues have subsided, you'll be able to re-gain some focus on losing weight. Just don't push yourself too hard. As long as you have a bit of a deficit every day, the weight will come off eventually. And it's great that your weight has remained relatively stable in the past 6 months. Depression often leads to major weight gain for many people.

Wishing you the best in the New Year.
  • eelane
    eelane Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Depression can absolutely drain your energy, and you definitely sound depressed. That leads to sleeping all the time and lack of motivation, which makes the sleepiness and depression even worse! You've got to try to get out and get moving. I recommend seeing a doctor also, could be a thyroid condition. Good luck, persistence pays.
  • sp53
    sp53 Posts: 40
    Options
    Speaking from personal experience, depression may be the main problem, or at least the first thing to address. Any number of physical problems may be causing you to be fatigued/depressed, in which case trying to lose weight is just an added punishment. Depression, whatever the etiology, is treatable. Don't give up!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had a sleep study done? Your lack of energy, ease of falling asleep at unwanted times during the day, and failure to awaken feeling rested are CLASSIC symptoms of sleep apnea. In sleep apnea, your breathing is either obstructed and/or intermittently stops while you're asleep, meaning that you never sleep for more than a few consecutive minutes at a time and thereforre are never actually rested. In addition, untreated sleep apnea dramatically raises your risk of heart disease and stroke, auto accidents, etc.

The condition can occur in anyone at any age, but it is far more common in the middle aged and older and in the overweight.

If you've never been tested, ask your doctor to order a sleep study for you.

This was exactly what popped into my head. Sounds like you may be doing better… but why? If you are fortunate, it was some medical or mental phase that has passed. If you're really not able to lose weight, you need to work with a doctor who will help you… you may need a dietician or nutritionist. Whatever you do, don't stop trying and don't stop caring! Getting older really does suck and we can't always control what time does to us. But, we can do our best to control what we can and hopefully that helps! Stay with it! Let us know how it goes.
  • MFR1974
    Options
    Have you tried getting a second opinion from a different doctor? I'm amazed at what one provider will test for versus the next. Have you been tested for hypothyroidism? I know it's uncommon in men..but it might explain a lot. Also, I'd pursue Upper Cervical Chiropractic Care. This is a specific kind of chiropractic that can help get your nervous system working again if it has been pinched and is operating poorly. I'm so glad you posted. MFP users will take good care of you if you stay connected. Take good care and don't be too hard on yourself.
  • douglernerold
    Options
    Thanks for your new posts people.

I'm about to go out for "end of the year soba" with a friend (healthy) but thought I would post a quick followup:

1. My thyroid is normal.

2. There is no mystery as to why I'm not losing weight - I'm eating too many calories! I know if I can stay on a diet I will lose weight. I have never had a problem with weight coming off IF I stay on a low-calorie diet. I just haven't been able to for a long time.

I guess I've lost and rebounded so many times it's just hard to get into it again...

Thanks,

doug
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Today, my husband lost one of his best friend's to an obesity-related disease at the age of 49. It was horrific to see someone so wonderful die so young from a disease that was preventable. By the time we realized how bad his situation was, it was just too little too late. Don't end up like this. Take care of yourself. You deserve to live a great quality life, and I know those who care for you feel the same way.

Anyway, just thought I'd share in hopes that it can help keep you motivated to live better than our friend did. It sure has us remotivated.
  • dianeinthemuk
    dianeinthemuk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good luck, Doug, and happy new year! It is the beginning for many of us. (I've taken a month off from "behaving" myself, and will get back on the horse on Sunday).

I hope that you are able to find the balance that works for you. :-)
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Hey Doug! I'm glad to see you are still hanging in there.

I'm concerned about the low calorie crash diets you keep doing though and your admission that you have lost and regained to many times it is hard to try again.

Stop doing low cal crash diets? Slow and steady wins the race. Use the tools available to you to find out what your maitenance calories are supposed to be and slowly decrease your intake to meet those levels. Then slowly decrease your calories again to under maitenance to start creating your deficit. If you're eating way over then depending on your weight you could lose weight to start just by going down to maitenance.

Happy New Year whether you decide to get back on the horse or not. :)
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked? even if its 'borderline' it might not be high enough for you personally. Men can get under active thyroid although its much more rare in men than women, but not unheard of.

Try some kelp supplements in the meantime to help boost your thyroid function whilst your having it checked out. Avoid soy its not good for people whose thyroid are suffering and is often a frequent ingredient in a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle which maybe why you felt so bad on it?

There's also a link between nut and wheat intolerances and thyroid problems.. try avoiding this, try some kelp supplements and see if your doctor will run a thyroid panel for you. (T3, T4 & TSH)

Good luck.
  • therealjanelle
    Options
    Hi Doug!
    I'm just throwing this out there since you mentioned the passing of your dog a while ago.
    Is there a local animal shelter at which you could volunteer? Taking dogs for short walks or just tossing a ball for them can do wonders for them and for you! I find it easier to do an activity when I'm doing it for someone else. Maybe you'd feel more motivated if you knew your activity was helping the dogs? Since you have experience with dogs, maybe you could even do basic obedience training. That would be both physically and mentally stimulating without being too intense. Since you've had several life challenges that seem to have brought you down, helping shelter pets might give you something to feel positive about, too! :smile:
  • Alachofra15
    Alachofra15 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    see you've said your thyroid is normal - so I'm deleting this - never mind! Good luck and well done for asking for support