Fried egg vs Scrambled egg

Options
donjtomasco
donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
why does the fried egg always come up with more calories over the scrambled, it both are the exact same size and ounces?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Not all fried eggs are the same nor are scrambled. Do you cook with butter or oil in pan? Do you weigh your eggs?

I don't use the eggs scrambled or fried, or omelette, or boiled. I do my own entries based on what I actually did to the egg prior to consumption (and I weight mine).
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I never use those entries, I take the calories of the raw egg and the calories of what I am cooking it in
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Probably because whoever created the "fried" entry uses lots of butter to fry them. Use the USDA raw egg weight. It is more accurate. I always weigh my eggs raw before cooking and log that as well as any butter or oil I use to cook them.
  • loopingcaterpillar
    loopingcaterpillar Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Poach them instead :D
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Oil/butter would be my guess.

Looking at the nutritional value on the USDA website 100 g whole raw egg and 100 g whole egg scrambled have basically the same calorie count (like 4 calorie difference...although I'm not sure why there is a difference).

edit: And yes the USDA does list that 100 g whole fried egg is about 50 calories more than raw or scrambled. Again though, I think that's because fried eggs are cooked in oil or butter.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Someone put oil in it.
    Use a raw egg entry or make a recipe entry and use that.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Don't use those entries. Make your own with one egg and whatever oil/butter you used.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Use the USDA egg raw recipe. Weigh the eggs in the shell if you plan to fry them. Then just weigh the shells and subtract. Add in your oil or butter separately.

I like them poached too! I even have a special egg poaching pan to make them. :)
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Don't use those entries. Make your own with one egg and whatever oil/butter you used.

^this. I always try to put in the ingredients used rather than someone else's entry because you never know.