I started lifting now the scale won't budge?

Options
2»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    mcmahoj3 wrote: »
    Find a good personal trainer who knows nutrition. I'm currently doing contest prep for a fitness model comp and my trainer has increased my calories to 1800 per day (I was inadvertently around 1600) with 40% protein, 30% carbs & 30% fat. I'm 5'9 and 64kg (approx 141lb) and I'm losing fat measurements on this diet. If you're lifting and only eating 1200 your body is probably in starvation mode and storing fat as protection. Good luck.

@mcmahoj3 bolded is a myth.
  • zara_2010
    zara_2010 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi there, it's a combination of exercise, nutrition and rest. Work out your TDEE which should certainly be more than 1200 cals if lifting weights. Increase your water intake to flush water out and do cardio between your lifting days. You need 1-2g protein a day per 1lb and will need to increase carbs to 1g per lb on weightlifting days.
    Are your fats coming from good fats like coconut oil, avocado, salmon?
    Do you have rest days so your muscles can recover and grow stronger?
    Also remember that muscle weighs more than fat so maybe invest in a Bodyweight scale that tells you your fat percentage, muscle, bone and water which will help you make the right choices to address the issue. Hope this helps.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    zara_2010 wrote: »
    Hi there, it's a combination of exercise, nutrition and rest. Work out your TDEE which should certainly be more than 1200 cals if lifting weights. Increase your water intake to flush water out and do cardio between your lifting days. You need 1-2g protein a day per 1lb and will need to increase carbs to 1g per lb on weightlifting days.
    Are your fats coming from good fats like coconut oil, avocado, salmon?
    Do you have rest days so your muscles can recover and grow stronger?
    Also remember that muscle weighs more than fat so maybe invest in a Bodyweight scale that tells you your fat percentage, muscle, bone and water which will help you make the right choices to address the issue. Hope this helps.

nope.

you should get 0.8 grams of protein for each lb of bodyweight...more is redundant
    you should get 0.35 grams of fat for each lb of bodyweight...

muscle takes up less space than fat and she is not building muscle eating 1200 calories....it is hard for women in general to build muscle let alone at a deficit.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I know everyone hates cardio but if you add in about 3 days a week of cardio (maybe 15 minutes HIIT) you'll start seeing not only fat loss but the scale will start to budge and you can keep lifting to increase muscle mass.
  • spritey86
    spritey86 Posts: 70 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I currently weigh 192lbs. I have been lifting heavy (SL5x5) on 1500-1700 calories but also doing some HIIT on treadmill and crosstrainer for 20-30 minutes 3 times a week depending on how I feel. I have been losing a lb a week still. I do the cardio to help with my deficit.

I would have another look at that 1200 cal diet of yours. Something must be amiss. I don't see how you wouldn't lose weight (or not feel drained and rubbish) eating so little.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    jacki865 wrote: »
    Eat less. Your current TDEE is not the same as it was when you were 235.
    I'm on a1200 calorie diet and have been within it for these weeks
    So your BMR is approximately 1700 and with whatever you do for regular day plus exercise, I'm betting it's about 2400 for your TDEE minimum.
    The body can go into homeostasis when it adapts to how much you feed it versus how much you burn. Many times people who eat such low calories will find they stall alot even when exercise is added.
    Try eating 1400 and see what happens.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    lol follow this advice too. good advice dude

This. Sometimes the answer is to just eat a bit more. Eating 1,200 calories and exercising isn't really getting 1,200 calories. You have to subtract off whatever you're burning through exercise to come up with your Net Calories. It's your Net Calories that should never be under 1,200 (for most people a good bit higher too).

Also, if you just started lifting, you're probably retaining some additional water (your muscles will retain more water as part of the repair process) so that's going to add some weight to the scale. It's good weight, but weight none the less.
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I stalled for a month the last time I started weight lifting (all the expected loss for the month came off in a few days at the end of that time).