Not Sure What I'm Doing Wrong :(

Options
I've been on a diet and exercise weight loss challenge for the last two weeks (starting May 1st). I've been pretty good about what I'm eating (couple meals I didn't log, but for the most part, I've gotten it all). I've been exercising, both strength and cardio.

I stepped on the scale yesterday to see how much progress I'd made, and not only did I not lose anything, I GAINED like 3 lbs.

It's really discouraging to work hard at something and not only not see the results you wanted, but see results completely opposite of what you want. I'm not going to give up, but I do need some help. What am I doing wrong? I'm eating protein, carbs, fat, the whole gamut. Just restricting calories (and I'm eating until I'm full, so I don't think it's not enough calories).

Help!!

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If your food tasted good, it likely had a lot of sodium. 200mg sodium above your trend average causes a 1lb gain of water. A good tasting restaurant entree can deliver add an extra 1000 mg sodium. Get a grip on your sodium for a week, then you'll see what you actually weigh without the bonus water.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    When you start exercising, especially weight lifting, your muscles retain fluid for a couple of weeks or so. It will go down, just make sure you drink plenty of water to flush out any sodium retention and make sure you weigh your food and log accurately.
  • kelseypalmer1614
    kelseypalmer1614 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'll beat everyone else to it.

Are you actually weighing your food? If not, you are probably overestimating your calories, no matter how eagle eyed you might think you are. This is usually the number one problem. You won't be gaining muscle weight this early.

Other than that, is it time for TOM to visit? But your biggest culprit is probably that pesky eye balling.

Yeah, I am weighing my food, measuring out tablespoons, etc. That's why it's been so frustrating. And not a TOM visit, that was about a week ago. But I'll double up on the measuring and weighing, just to double check everything.
  • kelseypalmer1614
    Options
    duddysdad wrote: »
    When you start exercising, especially weight lifting, your muscles retain fluid for a couple of weeks or so. It will go down, just make sure you drink plenty of water to flush out any sodium retention and make sure you weigh your food and log accurately.

I've definitely got the drinking water part down. Most days I have about 22 cups (176ish ounces). But I'll try to keep the muscle thing in mind. Thanks.
  • jayrow473
    jayrow473 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different ,but for me no white carbs at all has helped me to lose sw443...down to 346.lost 51#s in less then 3 months restrictions the white carbs
  • catlynnl
    catlynnl Posts: 8 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Maybe consider weighing daily, at the same time of day? I weigh myself daily now. I was too scared to at first - I wanted to be motivated by visible change. But daily weighing really helped me see how much daily fluctuation I could have. (Now I just look for a general downward trend, every 4 weeks.)
  • mhealea
    mhealea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said. It's important to log everything and measure and weigh everything. You need to measure yourself also because the scale can be lying to you. The proof to your weight lost is in the measurement. Water is very important to weight loss so is sleep. Sleep is where the body repairs itself. What type of exercises are you doing and what are macros set at? You should be close to 50p/30c/20c. I'm currently at 45p/35c/20f. Also what's your calories set at?
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You are NOT gaining muscle after two weeks - you muscles might be retaining water due to the new exercise. You need to weigh, measure and log EVERYTHING.
  • kelseypalmer1614
    Options
    mhealea wrote: »
    As everyone else has said. It's important to log everything and measure and weigh everything. You need to measure yourself also because the scale can be lying to you. The proof to your weight lost is in the measurement. Water is very important to weight loss so is sleep. Sleep is where the body repairs itself. What type of exercises are you doing and what are macros set at? You should be close to 50p/30c/20c. I'm currently at 45p/35c/20f. Also what's your calories set at?

Macros are set at 50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20% protein (but I usually have more like 30% protein. Calories is set to 1600/day.

Mondays are legs (squats, lunges, hip abduction/adduction, etc. Wednesdays are abs days. Fridays are arms (bicep curls, triceps press, push ups, etc). Then Tuesday and Thursday are cardio days, but I try to get a little cardio in everyday, along with a morning mini-strength workout each morning (jumping jacks, squats, lunges, planks).
  • kelseypalmer1614
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    You are NOT gaining muscle after two weeks - you muscles might be retaining water due to the new exercise. You need to weigh, measure and log EVERYTHING.

I didn't say/think I was gaining muscle after two weeks, hence why I'm frustrated. Had I gained muscle, I'd be happy with that type of gain.
  • kelseypalmer1614
    Options
    catlynnl wrote: »
    Maybe consider weighing daily, at the same time of day? I weigh myself daily now. I was too scared to at first - I wanted to be motivated by visible change. But daily weighing really helped me see how much daily fluctuation I could have. (Now I just look for a general downward trend, every 4 weeks.)

Yeah, I'll try that. I'm definitely in the boat you were in, with wanting to see visible change. But I suppose a trend would be a more reliable measure. I'll give it a try. Thanks!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking in terms of two week "challenges" and focus on the long term: months, years, your whole life. Learn patience and adjust your expectations to be more realistic. Take it from an old guy, two weeks is nothing compared to a lifetime.
  • kelseypalmer1614
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Stop thinking in terms of two week "challenges" and focus on the long term: months, years, your whole life. Learn patience and adjust your expectations to be more realistic. Take it from an old guy, two weeks is nothing compared to a lifetime.

It's not a two week challenge, it's just the first two weeks of the challenge that I'm doing. I'd fallen out of good eating and working out, so this whole month is to get back on track. Every lifetime habit/lifestyle has to start somewhere. A challenge is a good way to jumpstart.
  • mcmahoj3
    mcmahoj3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You're early days but my guess is your carbs are too high at 50% and protein too low at 20%. I do 40p/30c/30f but each person is different.