New To Message Board

Options
DylsGrandma
DylsGrandma Posts: 69 Member
Hi Everyone, My name is Karen, and I look forward to getting to know all of you! I am on here so I can get the support I need to lose weight, and hopefully reverse early kidney disease. Earlier this week I met with my Nutritionist, and she recommended this site to me. I must say I love the online food journal! I am diabetic and have been for almost 30 years. My doctor just started me on Insulin this week. I want to lose about 2 pounds a week. Hopefully at some point I can get off some of my meds. My Diabetes Educator said I could consume about 1600 calories a day, but I have been aiming for about 1250. I just don't want to gain anymore and have to be careful because I am on Insulin. I am a wife, mom of 2 grown boys and a grandma.

Replies

• mhealea
    mhealea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me and good luck on your fitness and healthier eating journey.
  • hollypopp10
    hollypopp10 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hello. You may add me if you like. Good luck!
  • DylsGrandma
    Options
    Thank you!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Welcome
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP Karen :smiley:
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @DylsGrandma You are not alone - I recommend some good reads for you and anyone else new to MFP - many people stumble onto these amazing posts and wonder how they missed them for so long.

Within most of the Message Boards you will see a Most Helpful Posts ( Announcement Post ) that is closed.

As an example if you go into the Getting Started Message Board you will see an " Announcement Post " that is closed. Within this post is a link to a collection to great posts that have been an inspiration and guide for so many.

You can apply this concept of announcement posts to all message boards.
    One of my favorite is a great compilation from different Message Boards called Most Important posts to Read

Don't forget to check out the Hello Healthy as there is lots of good information in there also.
  • ceafva
    ceafva Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Catherine. I was diagnosed as a diabetic 3 years ago. The A1C climbed to a high of 10.8 and was told I would need to begin taking insulin. I said no and made a life-changing decision right then and there. For the last 8 months, I've been juicing and have now gone to a plant-based meal plan. My A1C is now 6.1 and going lower. My plan is to get it to normal. I began at 343 lbs and now I'm 278. I've been losing 2 lbs a month and want to increase this to 5 lbs a month. I haven't done much exercise because my legs are weak and my cartilage is missing from my right knee and walking is painful. However, I've been pushing thru the pain and started walking last week 3x a week for 15 minutes. Lacking motivation to walk due to the pain. (Water/pool isn't an option for me, I wish it was, another medical challenge with chlorine). My goal weight is 150.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I came here last November because my fasting glucose hit 110. I was at 245 lbs.; now I'm at 176 and my fasting glucose is under 90. No kidney disease in my case, but I've been reading up on it this week because a friend got a scary report from her doctor. I'd love to hear from you here or by private message about anything you've learned as well. You're obviously doing the right thing taking control of your diet and weight. It will offer you benefits in so many ways, not just in terms of blood sugar and kidney function. All kinds of things start to go wrong when we're carrying too much weight, but they often clear up miraculously when we reduce. It's absolutely worth the effort! Good for you!
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    PS, at 5'5" and 176 lbs., I'm losing 8-10 lbs. a month on 1200-ish calories a day and very moderate exercise, nothing heroic. I feel GREAT.
  • DylsGrandma
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and the great encouragement! <3