Me or the meds? Does it matter?

Options
readytochange42
readytochange42 Posts: 43 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Went to the doctor for check up last week. All good news. Down 35lbs since February. I'm working out regularly for the first time in years. My cholesterol is also down 90 points from 230 to 140, and glucose A1C dropped from 7.2 to 5.8.

I'm on low doses of metformin and blood pressure and cholesterol meds which I started in February after a heart attack. My doctor said he was surprised that I was not more excited by the new numbers. I was, but it was tempered with the knowledge that it was probably the meds and not me causing all of this improvement. It makes me feel like I'm not really seeing the fruits of my labor, just what the meds can do.

Am I making too much of this? Should I even care? Personally it feels disheartening.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    High fives! Not everyone loses on Metformin; those who do have also made lifestyle changes. So take credit and enjoy the new numbers!
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    While I'm not familiar with that medication, your weight loss is pretty darn impressive!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Don't ruin your success by thinking this way. You are bettering your situation, that's a big plus. Keep going and if you can get off your meds you can then do a victory dance.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Read up on Imposter Syndrome. It happens more than you might think with people who have lost significant weight. It took me quite a while to get used to my new body; how it moves and looks.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Whether it's you or the meds or a combination of the two, your health is improving. Embrace it and keep going. This is GOOD news and for many people, it isn't.
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    TheChocolatePrincess Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself, its not HOW you get there but that you get there. Those medications would not work if you weren't doing something right - the weight loss only comes with some effort. Be proud of your accomplishments.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    You could have just taken the meds and done nothing. That is NOT what you've done. You've been working hard and you should be proud of yourself.
  • draco706
    draco706 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    That's great news. Keep seeing your doc, if you lose weight your meds may need to be adjusted down. I don't think its just the meds. Diabetes.net gives the following information. "Metformin lowers fasting blood glucose levels by an average of 25% (17 to 37%), postprandial blood glucose up to 44.5%, and the A1c by an average of 1.5% (0.8 to 3.1%)." Hope this helps.