How can I break the habit of eating dessert every day?

Options
any suggestions?

Replies

• kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    get some little sugar free hard candies. I like the werthers cinnamon/vanilla. Those are good. I also like the 100 cal packs of cookies, and there is a boatload of very low cal desserts, in the frozen section. i like me some dessert too.
  • HungryMom
    HungryMom Posts: 280
    Options
    I had to do it cold turkey. I swear it was like a drug to me, and I couldn't do it just one or two nights a week. Once I got it out of my system and healthier eating became my new habit (about 5 weeks) I could have a sweet treat every once in awhile.
  • sdaltonking
    Options
    I started drinking Shakeology and it changed my life; I don't crave sweets anymore, and when I do, I drink a Chocolate Shakeology, and I'm cured. Good luck!
  • adoreabella
    Options
    I agree with HungryMom - I too had to quit cold turkey and I was the queen of desserts. Now I don't even like 90% of the sweets I used to eat. When I REALLY need something, I will get a small sundae or cone from Dairy Queen or else eat the Skinny Cow desserts.
  • staclo
    staclo Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey is one way, but you might not like that suggestion. I grew up eating a dessert every day when I lived at home. My husband broke me of that habit by simply refusing to buy junk. If you are used to having dessert after dinner, substitute it with yogurt or fruit.

Also, I've read that eating a very small amount (like 1 oz) of chocolate during breakfast actually helps cut down on the cravings, and the morning is the best time to eat simple carbs anyway, if you are going to eat them.

I realized that was jumbled. Sorry! I had thoughts popping into my head as I was typing. :smile: Good luck!
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit for dessert :) it's nice and sweet, I feel like I'm getting a little something extra after dinner...but hey, it's healthy!
  • s_knopf
    s_knopf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have one every other day. Then you'll look forward to it more.
  • AmandaHammill
    AmandaHammill Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Another cold turkey here. Once i had the sugar thing under control and a good handle on calories in/out, i'm able to indulge once in a while and enjoy it...Skinny cow ice cream sandwiches are my favorites. Otherwise, desert for me now is fresh berries and 0% fat vanilla Greek yoghurt.
  • KetoDebbie912
    KetoDebbie912 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey as well. When I get the craving I eat a juicy piece of fruit or make a smoothie with frozen banana and almond milk.
  • StephanieBLucas7
    Options
    I pick a low calorie alternative like the chilly willy popsicles or jello. My three year old son and I used to eat ice cream every night on the front steps after dinner. He loved doing this and I loved spending this one on one time with him so I did not want to stop this. Instead of ice cream we each eat a chilly willy popsicle . He likes the different flavors and at 60 calories each, I don't feel nearly as guilty eating it!
  • veronicastelo
    Options
    Try healthy desserts. I like poached pears and apples with sorbet, or dish crumbles (no pastry) with a little bit of custard.

I have an addiction to brownies, i'm never going to give them up!
  • mamaw53
    mamaw53 Posts: 71
    Options
    For dessert I eat yogurt (lots of yummy varieties), zachary thin mints, watermelon, pineapple, or lowfat cereal bars like fruity pebbles or cocoa krispie.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Are you the kind of person that can moderate or are you better off if you eliminate certain foods?
    Do you want dessert or do you want this fat off your body asap.
    What does "dessert" mean to you? What foods?
    If it's junk, stop eating that stuff. You don't need it. Your mind is playing tricks on you if you think you can't live without it.

A small bowl of plain greek yogurt and some berries was my dessert tonight. It was yummy.
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You could have an apple with peanut butter or yogurt with some fresh fruit.
  • eamjohnson
    eamjohnson Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When it comes to breaking a habit that is so deeply entrenched, I think it's important to look at your triggers. For example, do you eat dessert immediately after dinner everyday? Or is it something that you eat while you're on the couch watching TV? Think of a way that you can disrupt your triggers. For example, get up from the dinner table as soon as you've eaten the main course and wash the dishes. That may provide just the right amount of distraction to help you along your way.

Also, consider your environment. Studies show that context has more influence on your habitual behaviors than you might think. If you can change your environment in some subtle, but significant, way, that may help you break your habit. If you eat your dessert while watching TV, try sitting in a different chair for a while.

It's weird, but it works and is backed by some solid research. Check out this article at The New York Times discussing exactly what I'm talking about: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/13/business/13habit.html?pagewanted=1

Good luck!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on why you want to? Are you eating like cake and junk food as dessert? I eat "dessert" every night but it's usually a bowl of watermelon or fruit salad. Or a dairy free slice of "cheese" cake and a cup of tea.

dessert is wonderful but if want to quit I'd do so cold turkey and eat fruit instead.
    2112540 Posts: 71
    Options
    hmmm well if I want dessert I have a Dannon light and fit 6oz strawberry yogurt and then I cut an apple into small pices put cinnamon on it and microwave it yummmm:) you just need to adjust to eating a new dessert!
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    If fruit doesn't work for you as a dessert, perhaps a glass of low-fat milk (perhaps with a little vanilla essence or other flavouring) will? Hot milk before bed can be lovely in winter. Or peppermint tea?
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    if its in your calories why not. I do...but the scale is stalling this week so maybe not...

How about fruit instead
  • kcalla
    kcalla Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I eat dessert almost every night. It's become a favorite and it's healthy! Sometimes I have it at the end of my work day at the 3pm slump time. Holds me well til dinner.

Chobani - Plain Non-Fat Greek Yogurt, 6 oz
    Blueberries - Frozen or fresh, unsweetened, 0.5 cup
    Bob's Red Mill Flax Meal - Grams - Flax Meal, 13 grams
    Spices - Cinnamon, ground, 0.33 tbsp

and I often end the day with a Ghirardelli Chocolate - Intense Dark Midnight Reverie 86% Cacao, 1 pieces - 60 cal