Vegetarians Northwest

Options
Though I've been a vegetarian for well over 20 years, it is easier now and I'm finding more support as well. However, there is still that misconception that vegetarians are healthier. I wish it were true. I'm back being accountable because I'd love to be a poster mom of healthy vegetarianism.

I love to bake/cook vegan, but huevos rancheros and non-vegan waffles are my fav. Due to friends with celiac and sensitivity, I am trying my hand at creating gluten-free foods. Being on a budget has made us less organic, but thanks to places like Costco and Grocery Outlet, I can find affordable organic and gluten-free options from flours to veggies.

I'm trying to cut back on processed foods (faux meat can be an easy and expensive treat). We hardly eat out (and yet, I still have gained wait) and I don't miss it much except when doing dishes. I make lunches for my school-aged kiddo and me.

My kids know the rule that we have to have something healthy before we have a sugary treat. I think they're better at it than me. :wink:

Finally, this doesn't have to be just for north-westerners, I just thought it might be nice for connection and motivation on where to go for shopping, exercise, and general gossip. I was born and raised in Seattle, but know and completely understand that many people who move to the NW instantly feel this is their home.

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Have you tried any of the groups?

I find this one to be one of the more active plant based groups:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores

You might find more like minded people in there.

I used to live just south of Portland. Moved away in 2008 because I couldn't stand the rain any longer, but I loved it while I was there and still have many fond memories... plus my family is still there, so I get to visit whenever I want.
  • chickboy0
    chickboy0 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Gluten-free is out of my price range. It all adds up at the end of the month sadly. North Seattle here. I like to cook vegetarian, but I am an omnivore! I just tend to suck at cooking meat.
  • Shayes2006
    Shayes2006 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @BB: Thanks for the link. Ah Portland, I haven't been in years.
    @CB: The price of some gluten-free flours is holey crap ridiculous. That's where G.O. "can" come in handy. Ha, my family is omnivore. If my husband doesn't cook/grill it, it better be microwavable. I would probably kill my family if I tried to cook meat. My husband already complains that I don't understand meat to condiments on sandwiches for the kids.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I was raised by hippies, so brought up as a vegetarian.