Vitamin B12 deficiency in women

Options
I was recently told by someone that it is quite common for women to have vitaming B12 deficiency because we lose it through our menstrual blood.

That does not sound right in any way, but I cannot find any information that cofirms or denies this. All searches on Google, Google Scholar and PubMed yield results as of how B12 deficiency can cause irregular period, but nothing about how period can cause B12 deficiency.

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I was recently told by someone that it is quite common for women to have vitaming B12 deficiency because we lose it through our menstrual blood.

That does not sound right in any way, but I cannot find any information that cofirms or denies this. All searches on Google, Google Scholar and PubMed yield results as of how B12 deficiency can cause irregular period, but nothing about how period can cause B12 deficiency.

As far as i know the deficiency related with heavy periods is iron-deficiency anemia. BUT, i do know many many women are deficient in B12 (myself included).
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

As far as i know the deficiency related with heavy periods is iron-deficiency anemia. BUT, i do know many many women are deficient in B12 (myself included).

Interesting, I had know idea. I knew about the iron-deficiency and anemia as well, though.
  • devine147
    devine147 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    B12 deficiency is more common in elderly woman as you loose absorption the older you get. This can only be replaced by injection on a quarterly basis by your GP .....speak to them if your worried they're many more causes of anaemia more prevalent then B12
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Interesting, I had know idea. I knew about the iron-deficiency and anemia as well, though.

yep. there's actually a type of anemia that happens to women only around that TOM because of blood loss.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    devine147 wrote: »
    B12 deficiency is more common in elderly woman as you loose absorption the older you get. This can only be replaced by injection on a quarterly basis by your GP .....speak to them if your worried they're many more causes of anaemia more prevalent then B12

Oh yeah, I already have and it's beign dealt with. It really was just the menstruation thing that confused me and sounded very, very wrong.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    A simple daily multivitamin will have enough to prevent anemia.
    Just in case you do not eat perfect every day.
    Cost = .04 cents a day.
  • nikkkicp
    nikkkicp Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    B12 is a water soluble vitamin. Not lost in the blood. Also, deficiencies are not that common because your gall bladder stores enough of this vitamin for 3-5 years. Usually, vegans are ones with the deficiency of B12. Other than that it is hard to be deficient.
  • 5arah73
    5arah73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from B12 deficiency for a few years now, i have injections every 10 weeks. I found this website very helpful http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Anaemia-vitamin-B12-and-folate-deficiency/Pages/Causes.aspx
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    B12 deficiency is more common among women than men, but it's about 2.3% of women versus 1.6% of men. Neither value would I consider "quite common", although it's one of the more common vitamin deficiencies.

It's more common in the elderly, due to a reduction in stomach acidity with aging. It can also occur in people whose stomachs don't produce enough gastric intrinsic factor, which can happen either from autoimmune disorder or from stomach injury or surgery.
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My mom is deficient. It may be caused by her IBS and her body not able to absorb things well enough due to constant bowel problems.
  • Cohalligan
    Cohalligan Posts: 26 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Also, B12 can be supplemented without the use of injections. I supplement with a 2,500mcg sublingual tablet
    (meaning it melts under the tongue) daily. A lot of vegan literature states that if you aren't getting your B12 from animal products then the best form of supplementation in terms of absorption is in a sublingual tablet, but also that you should get your B12 from methycobalamin rather than cyanocobalamin. It's an important distinction as the majority of B12 suppliments are cyanocobalamin.

That being said, a severe deficiency will most likely need B12 injections until serum levels have stabilized and then you can switch over to sublingual medications. I know this doesn't actually answer your question, but if you are worried it is a simple blood test :) Also, if you wanted to do further google research on B12 related anemia the medical name for it is pernicious anemia.
  • missanglang
    missanglang Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Metformin can block b12 absorption