Slim fast

Options
Hi, has anyone had good results with slim fast?

Replies

• hhazzouri
    hhazzouri Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Slimfast is just a protein shake that looks pretty. It would work as a part of a balanced diet but there's nothing special about it
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    hhazzouri wrote: »
    Slimfast is just a protein shake that looks pretty. It would work as a part of a balanced diet but there's nothing special about it

apart from all the mineral & vitamin supplementation ?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I like to eat my food.
  • hhazzouri
    hhazzouri Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    hhazzouri wrote: »

apart from all the mineral & vitamin supplementation ?

I'm sure vitamin supplementation is how you slim down
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 lbs in 6 months with it at 19. Over the years I gained all of it back and more because my underlying eating patterns did not change when I quit drinking it. It was a mistake because it made me miserable and wasn't sustainable.

I think meal replacement shakes are fine if you're pleased for time or sick but as a way of eating not so great.

I've gotten down 90lbs by just counting calories. It took me 17 months. I won't be going "off" this "diet," ever. I clearly need to track calories and watch my weight. I also track fiber and sodium for health now.
  • LewisLal
    LewisLal Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You have teeth to chew. I don't believe the body was made to run on liquid no matter how nutritionally complete it is.
  • lauraemily84
    lauraemily84 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm on it - lost just over 2 lb in a week. I'm find it easier as cutting back I was my loosing as I prob didn't realise how many cal I really ate
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It's fine for a short term quick fix, having done it in the past. After two weeks it gets pretty boring though. The best results I've had though is eating normal food, just less of it. (edited for spelling)
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I'm on it - lost just over 2 lb in a week. I'm find it easier as cutting back I was my loosing as I prob didn't realise how many cal I really ate

Super. Now what are you going to do to maintain when you stop those things. What better habits and knowledge are you building?
  • saphin
    saphin Posts: 246 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I used it about 11 years ago to cut weight I gained after an accident stopped me from being as active as I was used to. It worked well and once I got back to a weight I was happy with I had no difficulty in going back to a normal diet and maintaining since then (55 to 60 kg weight range). It is, however, very monotonous and everything is way too sweet for my taste. If I were in the same position now I would just use MFP to monitor my intake.
  • Adiemus200
    Adiemus200 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

Super. Now what are you going to do to maintain when you stop those things. What better habits and knowledge are you building?

I agree, slim fast works but it's just a quick fix. People need to make long term life stile changes for the weight to come off and stay off. I wouldn't recommend slim fast to anyone.
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    A quick fix, but not even the healthiest of quick fixes. Too much sugar, and not enough of the good stuff, like complex carbs and protein. Plus, it's terrible for causing cravings and binges as it doesn't fill you up or give much satisfaction. Your better of sticking to a nice clean meal like vegetables, lean meat and rice, but if you feel like you must take the liquid diet route, get actual protein powder and mix in some complex carbs, like oats or a grains blend
  • Elwin12
    Elwin12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Slimfast is a jangly piece of fake jewelry. It's a marketing ploy to make money, not to help human beings figure out what is best for their own particular body. Use My Fitness Pal. Track everything you eat. Start learning to put different, better things into your mouth. Experiment. Be willing to try different combinations of foods. Simpler the better. Easier to keep track of. Real Food. Not too much. (As Michael Pollan says.) Real diamonds and rubies only!