Discouraged

Options
Seffell
Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
I've started going to the gym for the first time yesterday. My main reason was gaining strength. I've been suffering from sciatica the past 8 months and was almost on bed rest for a couple of months. Also I've been a couch potato for the last 10 years, sometimes not leaving the house for months. So my body needs getting a bit fitter/stronger. So I went to the gym.
I actually had a wonderful time! I used all of the machines for upper and lower body. They all have great support for the back so I'm not in pain. I was just making plans to continue doing this for a very long time. So today I started googling some tips for some of the machines in the gym, ...and ALL I can find, literally ALL articles only claim all those machines are scam, useless even dangerous. Made to grab money from gullible females...
I feel totally gutted now. I can't use the free weights and do squats, lunges, planks etc., all these substitutes that are recommended instead of the machines, because my back is killing me without support.
Reminding you all that I'm so weak physically that sometimes my legs tremble when I stand. I'm the ultimate beginner.
(I'm in healthy BMI but need to lose more fat so I eat at about 300 calories deficit on average for the last 3 months, and losing as expected. I wanted to go to the gym so that I can limit the muscle loss and possibly feel a bit stronger/more stable)

Any thoughts on this?
I planned to go to the gym in 2 hours. But now I don't know what to do.

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    If you find that those machines are helping your situation--go for that. Give it some time and track your progress. If after a month or 2 you can do more and feel stronger, that's your proof. Don't give up something you like, when your situation sounds like you need to be careful at first.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Use the machines. Plenty of people do and they get results. You're way over thinking this. Just go and have fun. :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    OP, use the machines. Here's Lyle McDonald's machine program. He has his beginners do one set. You can aim for 2-3 sets as you get stronger.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html/
  • Ieyen
    Ieyen Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    go to the gym! You're exactly the kind of person who benefits from them - beginner with an injury . Machines are not useless - as long as you are working muscle against sufficient resistance, you can build muscle. I think the real takeaway from those articles is: don't get lulled into a false sense of security just because you're on a machine. You still have to pay attention to your form and don't go too heavy too fast. It is also important to pay attention to your range of motion and adjust appropriately so you don't injure your joints.

It may benefit you to get a session with a personal trainer to show you how to use them safely and effectively without worsening the sciatica.

I personally have to use free weights primarily because I'm 5'1" and most of the machines don't fit me..my guess is if you're a couple inches taller you're probably ok. But, I also have back problems and I use the machines that I feel I can use safely when I have a flareup of the pain. It's awesome that you've motivated to make this change, and don't let a few articles discourage you..just take it as a warning to be mindful. One way to do this is to have your mind on the muscle that you intend to work, and make sure that it is the one that is taking the load (for instance , if you intend to work your quads, but feel strain in your back instead, check your posture and the adjustments on the machine.)
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! @jemhh Thanks a lot for the article! I'll read it and head for the gym :)
  • spritey86
    spritey86 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Just want to say GOOD FOR YOU - Going from couch potato to a gym newbie takes so much courage and I just want to wish you well on your new regime. The machines will help and you will still smile and feel pride when you make progress with them.
    Enjoy!
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    What kind of machines does your gym have that all the information you find states the machines are a scam?
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Machines work. You might try adding some walking to your routine as well, anything to strengthen your legs.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Use them ! I started on machines too . we all start somewhere. Don't over think this. Go and do what you can. Maybe one day you can move over to the free weight section but for now,just do whatever you are able to ! It's totally okay ! Doing something is better then doing nothing. Don't over think this !
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    If it feels like exercise, then it IS exercise.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the row machine? Great all over body workout. You can adjust the resistance to your needs. I would give it a try. Ask gym personnel for the proper form and technique to use it if you aren't familiar.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    machines work - they work very well. true, you may not strengthen the stabilizing muscles, but you will strengthen the specific muscles the machines address.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Definitely use the machines. Are they as good as free weights? No, but they're sure as heck better than nothing.

My trainer still has me use machines for certain exercises, and I've been working out for like 3 years. There are still things that I need to work on so - machines it is. :)
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    A thread with a happy ending! HOORAY! Good for you, OP! <3
  • monica_823
    monica_823 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    @gebeziseva

A good way to get your feet wet is to have someone - a human being - who understands you and can hold your hand and guide you...outside of the gym.

There is an app called LokaTrain where you can find private trainers in your neighborhood for as cheap as $30: you can message them and decide when and where you want to work out (park, outdoor, your home, etc). It's a great and cheap way to get started! And you have plenty to choose from: girls, guys, different ages...
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Machines are a great for beginners as you don't have to worry to much about form but the downside is that it restricts your natural range of motion. Free weights are infinetely better and offers more variety but, for now, machines seem to be what you need to get mobile, strong and active. When you are stronger and feeling like you need more of a challenge, don't be afraid to try out lighter free weights until your body is ready to cooperate. Good luck and congrats on getting out there and getting active. Your body and mind will thank you.