New to MFP and a Grandma

Options
Hello to everyone! I am in my late 60's and really need to lose weight and get in better shape so I am around to see my grandchildren grow up, graduate, marry, etc. Lots of reasons to do it, but little motivation. I am married (almost 45 years) to an overweight husband with many health issues. My general physical health is good, but suffer from depression which frustrates me. I have always been a 'caretaker' of family and now feel it is time for me to do something good for myself, but feel 'stuck' with husband's health issues and my 85 year old Mom who depends on me a lot too. I really need to lose 60 or more pounds, but more than that need to feel good about myself. Help?? Anyone out there my age with any good words of advice or to commisurate with? Thank you in advance and a big good luck to all. :wink:

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck on your new journey. I'm a Grammy too.
  • rgprn
    rgprn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Welcome....this is a gr8 place to start. It has kept me so focused. I have a few things i common w/you. YOu will find
    lots of help from this group. I promise!
  • enlarsh
    enlarsh Posts: 67
    Options
    Welcome! You can do anything you put your mind to! The encouragement/support here is great. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like a kind word!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    good luck! I hope you find that eating better and exercising helps with your depression, many people do find that it helps. And don't think about it like you have to lose 60 lbs, just set reasonable goals like a pound a week and take it one day at a time and a year from now you will be surprised at all you have accomplished. MFP is a great tool, don't be afraid to ask about how to use and get the most out of it for you.:flowerforyou:
  • jambs5
    jambs5 Posts: 114
    Options
    Hello & Welcome to MFP,
    This is a great place to be to meet wonderful people for support and encouragement on your weight loss journey. Please feel free to add me as a friend on MFP. I am almost 48, 5 kids ages 10-21 yrs old, no grandkids yet, my husband & I both have type II diabetes, I also have high blood pressure and my HDL/good cholesterol is too low. I helped my mom care for my dad after he suffered a stroke in 11/13/91 until his death 1/31/07. My mom turned 86 on 5/1 and my family (Hubby,kids, and I) do everything for her..she depends on me a lot too. Good luck with your weight loss goals.
  • timlord
    timlord Posts: 158
    Options
    listen to someone who has experience and education working with older adults...not a gym rat
    you need an instructor that is able to teach things to you
    muscle can still be built into the 70's, I have worked with people 50, 60, 70, and 86 years of age...you need an instructor that knows anatomy of the changing geriatric body. You need an instructor closer to your age that has experienced some aging....I commend you and good luck! Tim Lord CFT, ASFA, BS,MA, Doctoral Candidate University of the Rocky SPP
  • timlord
    timlord Posts: 158
    Options
    ps i am a grandpa
  • gammagal3
    gammagal3 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you gals (and guys) for your welcomes and responses. I am planning to go to 'water exercise' classes again as excercising on land is too hard on my joints (had a total knee replacement on left knee a year ago) and lower back (scoliosis). In the water I feel good and 'weightless' until I get out:sad: . I also go to a grocery store and make sure I walk around it several times for an hour or 2, but holding onto a cart. I can't get on my knees anymore (because of the surgery), but can walk very well. So, am looking forward to lots of help and encouragement from y'all on MFP and I will try to do the same back to you. Have a 'touchy stomach', so some things that you may suggest may not be what I can handle - but will give it a whirl.