Female exercise question, (Men, no need for you to read this

Options
Evanstl
Evanstl Posts: 44 Member
Women, I could use some advice or tips for keeping me motivated to work out when that "special" time of the month rolls around. I usually feel so miserable that I dont want to work out. Any advice or help with this area?

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Just do it.
    No, seriously.
    It's been proven (somewhere) that exercise will help ease cramps and bloating associated with menstration.
  • Kat0310
    Kat0310 Posts: 341
    Options
    Just do it.
    No, seriously.
    It's been proven (somewhere) that exercise will help ease cramps and bloating associated with menstration.

Ditto, that is true!
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    knowing how much better I'll feel after I work out. I always have to DRAG myself to the gym. Usually with the promise of driving through to get a Chai Tea Latte on the way home if I make it through my entire workout. By the time I'm done I feel so much better than I rarely actually get the Chai Tea.
  • maryd4love
    maryd4love Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Just do it.
    No, seriously.

I have heard this, as well.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    I would do something like boxing or kick boxing on those days. Get out all that agression. lol
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    You have to force yourself. Bribe yourself if necessary. Make a deal with yourself that you don't have to work out as hard as normal, but you do need to exercise. People have been exercising when they have their periods (and in much, much worse conditions!) since the beginning of time. Be thankful you're not migrating on foot to another country, just jogging for 30 minutes or whatever.
  • tproctor
    tproctor Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Women, I could use some advice or tips for keeping me motivated to work out when that "special" time of the month rolls around. I usually feel so miserable that I dont want to work out. Any advice or help with this area?

Now... you KNOW that as soon as you told us NOT to read this... we HAD to read it! What were you thinking??? ;)
  • liz4fit
    liz4fit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Stick to going through that time one month. You will find that month to month it gets easier to go, your body will be happier with you too and will show you that by less cramps, headaches and overal PMS symptoms. Trust me.. I know how you feel. If you need to, look around the gym and realize that 50% of the women that ARE there are probably on that "special week" themselves and they can do it, so can you!!!
  • dancer77
    dancer77 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    it seriously does help ease the pain...even if you can't go "full out" on those days doing a less intense exercise definitely works. When I was younger I used to have to walk around the house to keep from crying due to cramps :( so I can say from experience a 15-30min walk works as good as any pain med!
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You have to force yourself. Bribe yourself if necessary. Make a deal with yourself that you don't have to work out as hard as normal, but you do need to exercise. People have been exercising when they have their periods (and in much, much worse conditions!) since the beginning of time. Be thankful you're not migrating on foot to another country, just jogging for 30 minutes or whatever.

Bwahahahahahaha! I am glad that I am not migrating on foot any time of the month!!!

So seriously, I always just think about how bloated I am and imagine the sweat getting the bloat out of there!!!!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I just exercise to earn the cals I need to eat the chocolate I want. Sometimes at the end of it, I don't want the chocolate any more.
  • musica814
    musica814 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Just grab the Midol and go. There is no special tip or trick that will make it any easier for you. You just have to do it.
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    To be honest I feel much more energetic during my time of the month. I have tonnes of angsty nervous energy, my body is clearly burning more as well because I am consistently higher temperature and cannot endure the level of clothing, bed clothing etc I normally need to feel comfy. And exercise helps the pain that I always feel.
    But everyone is different and you should figure out how your body works best imo.
  • Just_Bethy
    Just_Bethy Posts: 272
    Options
    Honestly I find just walking is the best thing for me at that time..I skip the water aerobics and Zumba...I get on the treadmill ..maybe slowed down a bit....and walk for 20 mins 3 or 4 times a day..It really eases my body..followed by a long warm bath that night..plenty of hot choc for calcium ..I really take care and slow down for the worse 2 or 3 days of my cycle...
  • makena78
    makena78 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I make sure to workout during "that time" of the month. I feel better once it's done and proud of myself. I don't have as much weight fluctation eigher when i workout then. And I force myself not to give in to those cravings. Be strong you can do it.
  • frlsmith
    frlsmith Posts: 8
    Options
    I do a few things. One, drink some extra water. Two, take some aspirin. Three, do something exerting enough to get my mind off the cramps. Four, lay in the steam room after the work out.
  • Penguinita
    Penguinita Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm actually having this problem now. I'm going to take my heavy days off from my routine now 30Day shred. Instead I'm doing other forms of exercise like heavy house cleaning for an hour or two. I just don't like jumping around during this time, I've stained way too many clothes that way. Sorry if this is too gross. I wish I knew how to censor lol
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i just go. i generally feel better and get out all my anger and aggression!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I'm actually having this problem now. I'm going to take my heavy days off from my routine now 30Day shred. Instead I'm doing other forms of exercise like heavy house cleaning for an hour or two. I just don't like jumping around during this time, I've stained way too many clothes that way. Sorry if this is too gross. I wish I knew how to censor lol

Try a big tampon, and a pad on black underwear. And for anything that gets stained, use "oxyclean" - it gets EVERYTHING out, including blood! :flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I just don't really think about it. If I am tired, I take a nap, and then go to the gym afterward. If I have cramps, I take a painkiller, maybe also a nap, and then go to the gym afterward. Every woman all over the world has had at least one period, and many of them don't have any luxuries whatsoever and do just fine. Women are made to menstruate, no biggie IMO. :)