Negative Calories?

Options
Hey guys!

I'm hoping you can explain something to me. Every morning when I first pull up MFP, under the exercise section it has me at negative calories. Today, for example, it says -158 under exercise, which is taking away 158 calories from my daily allowance. I've used MFP many times and I've never seen this before. What does it mean?

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you have a Fitbit or other activity tracker linked to MFP. It starts from midnight, estimating what it expects your activity level will be for the day, so if you were asleep and therefor not moving around, it will show a negative number when you wake up exactly as you described, because you were not "as active as it estimated" during those hours. As you go through your day it will adjust based on your activity, and right itself. :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It means that when MFP read your sync from your activity tracker, it believes you won't meet your maintenance burn for the day and has to adjust your intake to make sure you won't overeat. Since its early, it's nothing to worry about. As you start to move, you'll notice the adjustment turn positive.
  • SaltNBurnBoys
    SaltNBurnBoys Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Oh okay. Thanks, guys! =)