Rice cooker advice

I'm sick of subpar, gooey, stove top rice. I want delicious, fluffy, amazing rice. So I think I will buy a rice cooker. Any suggestions on a good, affordable brand? Also, I only use brown rice. What do you use for a brown rice/water ratio in your cooker? Thanks!

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    I LOVE my rice cooker. I'm pretty sure my husband got it at Walmart or something of the sort. You don't have to go really expensive, and it will tell you the ratio :) I can't remember it off hand.
  • I haven't heard anything negative about any particular rice cooker. I have an authentice Japanese brand (don't know what it is however), but as far as ratio's go, when I make white rice it's with 5 cups of rice to 5 cups of water and then for brown rice it would be 5 cups of rice to 6 cups of water. Hope that helps!
  • Lissajoy08
    Lissajoy08 Posts: 35
    You can also steam veggies in a rice cooker! Wal-Mart's is great... my friend has the pampered chef one, but mine works just as well as hers...
  • emciriaco
    emciriaco Posts: 41
    Step 1: Go to an Asian market for your rice cooker.

Step 2: Look for a rice cooker that has lines and numbers inside the pot.

The manufacturer of the rice cooker doesn't matter, but those lines inside the pot do! I used to have a pot that didn't have those lines and struggled with the rice/water ratio.

Your rice cooker will come with a plastic cup. DO NOT TOSS THIS CUP. This is your measuring cup only for rice. For every level scoop of rice from this cup that you put into the pot, you'll fill the pot to the corresponding number with water. So, if you put in 2 scoops, fill the pot to the 2 line (or the line closest to it, anyway).

This works for both white rice and brown. (I love brown rice. I'm trying to get my husband onboard now, too.)

Message me if you have any questions - and good luck! =)
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    I have a cusinart one and we love it! It is great for cooking quinoa, wheatberries and other grains, too!
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    I used to have a fancy one and it wore out. Then I got a cheap one for like $20 and it's just as good. I also use Brown Rice and just short of 2-to-1 water to rice ratio.
  • cillytilly
    cillytilly Posts: 243
    I got mine at target. I prefer the one with the button seal lid instead of the glass top. I say for brown rice just follow the rice cooker instructions. Mine has lines as to where you are supposed to put the water based on the cup they provide. My cup provided is only 3/4 a cup.
  • jfer1977
    jfer1977 Posts: 139
    I have an Aroma rice cooker/steamer. It has buttons for white, brown and steam. It even has a delay start button so you can set it up in the morning and select the delay of how ever many hours you need to for it to be done. It came with a book that tells you how much water and rice to use. We got it at Costco, but I'm sure you can get it anywhere.

Mine is only a 10 cup (plenty big enough), but the link below is what it looks like.

http://www.aroma-housewares.com/kitchen/appliances/ARC-960SB.html
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I love love love my rice cooker. It makes every different kid of rice perfectly. However, my cooker is definitely not in the affordable category (Sanyo fuzzy logic model).
  • bengtso4
    bengtso4 Posts: 10
    THANKS EVERYONE! This is great advice! I am definitely going to buy one this weekend. Maybe I will pull out the old bread machine and start making my own bread, too!
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    American boxed rices imo are not real rice. You need to find an Asian store or store that sells white rice/brown rice. Health critics hype brown rice for its bran and fiber which is laughable. Brown rice has 1g of fiber per serving. Navy beans have 15g of fiber per half cup. Rice is so easy to cook. Rice cookers are just the lazy way but they do work perfectly. WTH is fluffy rice anyways? Minute Rice maybe. You don't fluff rice lol.

To cook/steam rice- The general book measurement is to use 2 cups water to every cup of rice.

I don't measure either.

Step 1- Put rice into pan
    Step 2- Rinse rice 2-3 times in the cooking pan at the sink.
    Step 3- Add water so that rice is two fingers wide above rice.
    Step 4- Bring rice to boil and boil till water is gone.
    Step 5- Put on lid, turn stove to low and let steam for 20-30 minutes
    Eat Rice.

Again Uncle Bens and Minute are not real rice and Brown Rice takes alot LONGER to cook and doesn' t taste as good as white.