Olive Oil

Options
Well this evening I may have figured out where I am going wrong. I use olive oil in all my cooking...but forgot really to count those calories. Wow its like 100 cals a tablespoon.....anyone have any suggestions on a lower cal version cooking technique to use? I know olive oil is a healthy fat but on the days I eat all my cals and I dont count it I am going way over. :-(

Replies

• shesnotthere
    shesnotthere Posts: 117
    Options
    You can't really find a healthier fat... just cut down your portions to make up for it. :)
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I use 1/3 the amount in a nonstick pan, then use a bit of water to help cook .
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I use a dash of moderation... I'll use 1 tsp of olive oil where I might have used a tablespoon of it in the past and so on. I think it's good to have a little olive oil in my life :) Love it.
  • lisa_73
    lisa_73 Posts: 43
    Options
    I have one of those oil spritzer things from Pampered Chef, I use a lot less oil that way (I think all of the oils have similar calorie count). Non stick pans help too.
  • michelnie
    michelnie Posts: 30
    Options
    I account for the oils I use in cooking by making sure I'm more or less 200 calories under the goal. Plus I make sure I don't use so much, a little bit is enough for most things.
  • natekorpusik
    natekorpusik Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have one of those oil spritzer things from Pampered Chef, I use a lot less oil that way (I think all of the oils have similar calorie count). Non stick pans help too.

This is a great idea. I LOVE olive oil and sometimes I use a larger amount. However, spritzing brings the calories down to almost nill if used properly and you can still get some flavor.
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    How about olive oil cooking spray....that's what I use. :flowerforyou:
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I don't skimp on the oil. It is an essential nutrient that keeps you healthy and helps with fat loss. I count every calorie of butter, flax oil, cod liver oil, olive oil and grape seed oil that I include in my daily eating. I make sure I measure each time so there is no cheating. I have not had a problem keeping under my calories because I have cut back on empty carb calories and by watching my portions.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i buy the zero cal sprays to keep my food from sticking :o)
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I account for the oils I use in cooking by making sure I'm more or less 200 calories under the goal. Plus I make sure I don't use so much, a little bit is enough for most things.

Great idea! I do love the olive oil...and now I will try to actually measure what I use
  • KnittingKat
    Options
    I bought a pampered chef oil mister too. I love it, just enough to keep food from sticking or get the flavor with almost no calories.
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I bought the Misto from Bed Bath & Beyond. $10 - 20% coupon = $8 before tax. To really know how much I was using with it, the first spray out of the bottle went into a measuring spoon. From the time the spray starts to when just air comes out is 1/2 of a teaspoon. I normally use 2 full sprays for a large frying pan. I love mine so much that I went back and bought two more, one for balsamic vinegar and one for lemon juice. A couple of sprays go a long way over salads and the lemon juice one is great for when cutting up fruits that brown.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Some cultures use Olive Oil on just about everything they cook.. It's an incredibly hearth healthy essential fat. Interesting factoid,

"6.5 percent of Italian men are obese and 6.3 percent of Italian women are obese.30% of Americans are obese."

Olive oil is natural unlike most every freaking oil we have in the US. When was the last time you squeezed some corn and got a drop of oil. You can't .. They use toxic chemicals to extract corn oils and probably most other seed based oils. Stay away from processed oils/foods. There is no such thing as a zero calorie product thats healthy other then water. i eat pistachio's as its my main snack. It's loaded with GOOD fats. People need to consume more healthy fat in there diet and olive oil is on of the most healthy.