To fuel or not to fuel long training runs

gorple76
gorple76 Posts: 162 Member
I'm training for a marathon in October and since my training runs have reached 9 miles or more for my long slow runs I've been using gels ever 3-4 miles, with a banana and electrolyte drink before heading out (first thing in the morning). I'm now reading about how you shouldn't fuel your long training runs as you should train your body not to depend on sugar/carbs to that degree, and then when you use them in a race you're more likely to avoid bonking. Apart from the odd practise gel, they should be avoided until race day. What do more experienced runners think?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    You might want to post this in the long distance runners group.
  • gorple76
    I have done! Trying to get as much feedback as possible I guess
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Personal preference but I don't fuel any of my runs that are 10 miles or below, except with water on hot days (I live in the UK so we don't get too many of those and I mostly carry it for my dog). I don't regularly run more than 10 miles in one session but when I have I just took a banana and a bar. I do have a 350 calorie breakfast a couple of hours before my run though so perhaps it would depend on what you had before you went out. I am one of those people that runs better on a empty stomach rather than a full but I know some people need to have something so I guess it just depends.
  • gorple76
    edited May 2016
    Thanks Becca_250. I'm in the uk too and really only started fuelling to practise and get used to gels. I guess I'm worried that as my runs get longer (up to 14m now) i'm starting to feel dependent on the boost I get from the gels and wondering if that might make the actual race harder. I've read it's better to train really slow and suck up the tiredness you feel from not taking gels so that the race feels much easier with the gels.
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Yeah if you want to take gels you are doing the right thing by using them in training rather than for the first time on race day and to be honest I think the buzz/atmosphere makes you perform better too at races so you should always improve your time regardless of gel intake. Could you perhaps just take less? Maybe just one at the 7 mile mark on a 14 mile run?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    When I trained for my marathons I did most of my long runs without fuel or gels. I took a couple of them that I did take gels to make sure I had no issues & liked the taste. Definitely don't want to try something new for the race, but i also liked training without taking them. The science on it is inconclusive as whether it helps to train without fueling, it may or may not.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Personally I don't take anything with me for runs of less than 10 miles (except maybe water on really hot summer days) but if you look at the world record marathon times from 50 years ago (when deprivation training was the norm) compared to contemporary records I'd be inclined to think that fueling is a good thing (yes, train with with what you're going to race with).

I also realize that nutrition is not the only variable to change over time.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    As @BrianSharpe mentioned, train with what you're going to race with. I usually eat a protein bar and drink a big glass of water about an hour or so before a long run. I also would look more at time, not distance, that you're running. I take a gel about every hour, but others might use one every 45 minutes. One of the good things about training runs (aside from, well, training) is that you can see what works for you - how often do you need to take in nutrients, what shoes/clothing works, where you need lube (chafing sucks), etc. Use your long runs to nail down what you'll want to do at the race.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    gorple76 wrote: »
    I'm training for a marathon in October and since my training runs have reached 9 miles or more for my long slow runs I've been using gels ever 3-4 miles, with a banana and electrolyte drink before heading out (first thing in the morning). I'm now reading about how you shouldn't fuel your long training runs as you should train your body not to depend on sugar/carbs to that degree, and then when you use them in a race you're more likely to avoid bonking. Apart from the odd practise gel, they should be avoided until race day. What do more experienced runners think?

I'm another who wouldn't normally carry fuel for anything less than 10 miles, and in practice I'm probably now closer to 15 unfuelled. That said, it's taken time to adapt to that.

For my 20s, at the moment, I'm using different fuel types to check confidence levels, and as I get to the ext stage of training I'm going to have to try real food as my next goal race is a 12 hour.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I have a training plan with advice for long runs, and it includes both fasted long runs and fueling practice long runs, so even though I tend not to follow the plan to a T, I do vary them.

When I trained for my last marathon (my first in years) I was in the habit of not fueling (had done some half marathons and typically ran a long run of 10-14 on the weekend), and didn't practice doing so until my 20 mile run (I'd meant to do so with 18, but wasn't organized and didn't have anything available). I wasn't worried since I'd used the same gels before in a half ironman tri. Ended up not having any stomach issues, but I probably underfueled for the marathon since I wasn't in practice (and it was much hotter than where I'd trained and I used gatorade which does mess with my stomach -- basically a "don't change stuff on race day" fail.

So, to end this long story, I'm being much better about trying to practice my actual fueling plan now, and am using them on even some of my 14-16 mile runs and long bike rides (I'm mostly tri training now). Since it's pretty long before my next big race, I've been using the opportunity to try different products/fueling methods to see what I like best.
  • runfreer
    runfreer Posts: 23 Member
    On training runs, I don't fuel until things get over 90 minutes or I am doing an intense workout for an hour or so. I often run at 4 in the morning so I also start on an empty tummy and gels get in the system quickly when I need them.

I just use whatever is on the course for half marathons but for marathon racing, I am the person who fuels with a gel every 30 minutes. My stomach can take it and I pass people by the dozens after mile 18 in the marathon because they are bonking and I am not.

Your marathon training isn't just about running, use the runs as practice sessions to dial in your fuel plan. It is very individual, only you will know what works for you. Good luck!
  • gorple76
    Thanks everyone. Really useful responses. I've got a 14m run tomorrow so I might try not fueling beyond having a banana and electrolyte drink before going out and see how I get on. I'll have water and take gels with me in case - I think I'd got caught up in the idea that even for training I should be fuelling regularly.

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    I tend to be overly cautious, but have now gone 10 miles in the evening without any fueling. I find feeling hungry while running to be distracting and uncomfortable, so I likely fuel more often than I need(ed) to.

I hardly ever run on an empty stomach, but some people love it. It's definitely a "Do what works for you" thing.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Rather than thinking in terms of miles, I use time to determine if I'm going to new food.

I run up to 2.5 hours in the morning fasted (other than morning coffee).

• Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    This is a confusing issue, and a lot of it has to do with pace and distance (or time). If you are pushing the pace (for you), you are more likely to need fuel in a long run. If you are taking it easy, you probably won't. For my morning runs (starting before 8:30 or so), I typically don't eat breakfast and I can easily go a couple of hours without fueling. However, if the group is going to hammer the last several miles, then I'm going to want something.

If I'm going on a really long run (2+ hours) then I'll probably take some gels and eat them on a schedule. You'll definitely want to fuel during your marathon (because you'll be pushing the pace) and you'd better have already figured out in training, what you can eat.

If you are running in the evening, it is a bit more confusing since you'll have been eating all day. You'll just have to figure out what works for you.