Pregnancy approved workouts?

Options
We recently found out I'm pregnant and I'm looking for any tips or recommendations about your favorite exercises during pregnancy. I normally jog 3 miles and do some weight training 3x a week but I've heard swimming and walking are better during pregnancy..? Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    katsoslim wrote: »
    We recently found out I'm pregnant and I'm looking for any tips or recommendations about your favorite exercises during pregnancy. I normally jog 3 miles and do some weight training 3x a week but I've heard swimming and walking are better during pregnancy..? Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Talk to your doctor.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    katsoslim wrote: »

Talk to your doctor.

Yup.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    General rule of thumb is that you can continue as you were. You don't want to increase activity, but if you've already been doing that much, you can keep it up. I agree that you will want to check this with your doctor, especially if you are a high risk pregnancy or there is any other concern. There are programs for expectant mothers too, like 'creating a miracle' by Ashley horner, I think that kim lyons has one too.

Anyway, Congratulations and good luck!
  • katsoslim
    katsoslim Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Doc has said I can exercise. There's no specific rules besides not overheating. Was just curious if anyone has had success with a program or type of exercise or diet that kept them toned through pregnancy.
  • katsoslim
    Options
    Thanks Aub! I'll check those out.
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I kept up with kickboxing (no hardcore sparring), jiu jitsu (no knee on belly moves), and running in my first trimester. After that I preferred prenatal yoga and some bodyweight strength training. Tons of squats and kegels. I'm convinced lots of deep squats kept my core strong. My obliques came out of hiding about 2 weeks postpartum. I would have been willing to do more intense strength training but I hadn't done much before pregnancy, and didn't want to start something new. I've known experienced female runners who continued running throughout pregnancy.
  • meganjenice32
    meganjenice32 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I actually just had my baby almost 2 months ago. I didn't do a lot when I was pregnant, I wish I had. Definitely keep up what you've already been doing or you'll just get lazy like I did. It's always harder to get back in the habit after baby comes. My son is a great motivation though to get back in shape!
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I kept up lifting until I delivered with all 3 of my kids. I typically had to stop my running around 5-6 months depending on the pregnancy and how my back was feeling, I swam the entire time and also added in yoga and stairs for variety. I didn't add any new exercises, just modified some lifts, i.e. bench eventually became uncomfortable. You'll want to listen to your body to see how you're feeling. Each of my pregnancies were different and needed to be adapted at some point, but in different ways, so what may work for one, will not work for another.

Also, there is a pregnancy group here that I participated in. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1903-fit-fabulous-pregnant

Congrats and good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    aub6689 wrote: »
    General rule of thumb is that you can continue as you were. You don't want to increase activity, but if you've already been doing that much, you can keep it up. I agree that you will want to check this with your doctor, especially if you are a high risk pregnancy or there is any other concern. There are programs for expectant mothers too, like 'creating a miracle' by Ashley horner, I think that kim lyons has one too.

Anyway, Congratulations and good luck!

Also look for Suzanne Bowen & Erin O'Brien

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/category-s/197.htm?searching=Y&sort=3&cat=197&show=10&page=1
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I usually run until about 20-24 weeks when my belly is uncomfortably big and my hips hurt. Then I switch to the stair climber, which feels difficult but isn't as jarring.
    I just took up lifting at 8 mo pp--wish I had started long ago!

As for DVDs, I like Lindsay Brim (Brin?)'s Moms into Fitness prenatal workouts.
  • mostein
    mostein Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I mostly just walked through my pregnancy but I had friends that said swimming felt so good because they couldn't feel the weight of the baby as much (during the third trimester). Most importantly, just listen to your body and you doctor I think.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    My doc must be real old school because he told me not to do any cardio where I can't have a conversation while doing it....with both my pregnancies.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Before pregnancy I was an avid Crossfiter and Olympic lifter. During my pregnancy, I shifted to compound movements with higher reps and lower weights and circuit training with lighter weights and taking breaks. I ran till the middle of my second trimester. To make sure everything was safe, I wrote down my training program and brought it to my appointments to get their opinions and approval. We always kept an open dialog about my training.

For my next pregnancy, I plan on starting to walk sooner. This last time, I started at week 36 and I was miserable! Next time, I want to be built up to at least 2 miles of walking before my 3rd trimester. I also plan on trying to strength train longer.

The website www.girlsgonestrong.com has some excellent training advice for pregnant women.

I also wish I had found www.spinningbabies.com sooner. I didn't have a breech baby, but the daily stretches and activities would have been helpful before month 9.

I did this Pilates video 3 times a week once I hit my 2nd trimester. It's not traditional Pilates. The exercises are put together by a physiotherapist for pregnant women.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8M7X73qN-b0
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    It depends on the pregnancy. I was not allowed anything other than walking or swimming, but these were very complicated high risk pregnancies. In general, to be on the safe side, I would avoid anything high impact and I would avoid lifting too much weight, were too much depends on the individual.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    My first pregnancy I ran 3 miles every day and had no issues.
  • katsoslim
    Options
    Thank you for all of the great tips and advice!