Fitness Trackers.....

Options
Ok, so I am shopping for a new fitness tracker. I have had the kind that clip onto clothing and I think I want a wrist one instead this time. I hear such good things about the Garmin VivoFit and the Garmin VivoSmart... thoughts? Looking for people who have them and would like to share their pros and cons. Thanks in advance!! Torn between which one I want to get. Or maybe there's another brand out there that is better than the ones I've listed?

Replies

• mystgrl28
    mystgrl28 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have narrowed down my search to either the fitbit charge hr or the garmin vivosmart hr and finally decided to get the garmin. Ordered it 3min ago and due to arrive on thursday, so here's hoping i made the right choice!
  • Tracer357
    Tracer357 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin vivo smart and love it. The battery on mine lasts at least a week if not more really happy with it.
  • palmtang
    palmtang Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a Microsoft band 2 and I totally love it. You need to charge it for about 15 mins a day though which is the only annoying thing about it. The vid is a comparison of band/apple watch/fitbit which shows how accurate different brands are if that's any help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mUejI-P_ZU
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't think it matters, pick the one in your price range with your desired features and verify it's not junk on Amazon. Wearables are really up to you... they are only useful if you like it and use the data wisely (and take it with a grain of salt).
  • ParkingPeddler
    ParkingPeddler Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have the Vivofit...the batteries last just over a year before i need to change them. I like not having to charge it.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have been using my Apple Watch for about 2 months so far and love it. I like that it can be paired with a Bluetooth chest strap for better calorie burn accuracy. Although compared to the many fitness trackers that I've used in the past, my Apple Watch has shown great accuracy so far in my steady state cardio activities. It never overestimates my calorie burn or step count the way my Vivofit 2, and Fitbit devices did. The Apple Watch isn't cheap, but for the money it does far more than other regular fitness trackers do, so it's more than worth What I paid for if.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have the Microsoft Band 2 also. The Band 2 is extremely accurate for workout... it's calorie daily tracking algorithms are not that great compared to others in my experience (I am a Microsoft employee by the way.)

I find it consistently under represents my daily calorie burn and it even tracks calorie burn when the band is not in use (if I am, say, using it only for workout calorie tracking it still counts total daily burn at roughly 1/cal a minute... do not like that.)

The additional features are killer though. I especially like the ability to load an exercise routine and have it guide me through the routine with pauses.

https://youtu.be/o3Ei-rwukDY

Little video. Best of luck deciding.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're going to use it mainly for walking; I assume if you wanted running or cycling features, or something else, you'd have mentioned it. For walking I think most activity trackers will be pretty comparable, so you should get the one with the price, looks, and features you like. The main advantage to Fitbit is probably that it has a bigger following, you'll see a lot of threads here about Fitbit challenges, etc. That motivates a lot of people.

I have a Garmin Fenix 3 GPS watch and love it. I use it when I run, when I ride a bike, swim, etc.
  • EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I don't use an activity tracker since that is what I use my smartphone for, to track steps mainly (Accupedo app). I also use a very good lightweight optical heart rate monitor (Scosche Rhythm+) paired with the Wahoo fitness app for exercise. The apps combined provide data such GPS, distance covered and calorie burn, which is all I really look for in my activity tracking. Incidentally, both of these apps integrate with Myfitnesspal quite seamlessly.

Various activity trackers offer up many more options/measurements, but you have to decide if those addons are meaningful to your health journey.

I've relied on the following site for product reviews on all types of fitness wearables: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/activity-monitors
  • kristenkfitness
    kristenkfitness Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've had numerous Fitbit models and recently switched to the Garmin Vivosmart HR. I last was using the Fitbit Charge HR. It gave me a rash on my arm that wouldn't go away and I didn't want to go too long w/o wearing it while my arm was "resting". The Garmin can be worn in the shower (I often forgot to put the Fitbit back on). I kind of feel like the Garmin is geared more towards runners than walkers (I'm a walker) but I still like it. I don't have my steps goal set at 10K but rather I have it set a goal for me and then it will automatically adjust for the next day depending on how I did the current day. At least the apps I've used/seen, more pair with the Fitbit than Garmin. Also used the Jawbone Up band (first or second generation) and after the 3rd one broke I gave up. The company always sent me a new one but I was done after the 3rd one died. The battery does last a little longer on the Garmin than the Fitbit before needing to be charged. Also you can read your text messages, get the weather, turn on your music (I think it only works on iTunes right now) on the Garmin if you have the Bluetooth enabled.
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    palmtang wrote: »
    I have a Microsoft band 2 and I totally love it. You need to charge it for about 15 mins a day though which is the only annoying thing about it.

I also vote for the Band 2. I love mine.

The charging thing is really the only problem - but I put my charger in my car and just charge it while I drive.

But it has GPS on it, which is great for my runs, and the main reason I got it. Also, it tracks my sleep, steps, and I can send a quick text response on it, so it's worth it. The display is great and it's not super bulky (I was originally going to get a Fitbit Surge but I tried one on and it's just too big).
  • Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm using the jawbone UP24. It's awesome and was priced down from $165 to $50 here in Canada
  • janjanyesucan
    janjanyesucan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My son has just bought me the Garmin vivosmart hr. I did a lot of reading up on activity trackers,his girlfriend just got the fitbit blaze,nice but too big and did too much for my liking..and not waterproof. The garmin ticked my boxes and has been a breeze to set up ..hr seems pretty accurate comparing it to my old chest band cardiosport,so pleased with that . Yep so far 10/10 :)
  • suzycav77
    suzycav77 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'am using the jawbone2.....love it :-)
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Vivofit. One year battery. Waterproof. Can add a HRM. Move reminder. Lacks GPS, but there is an app called Garmin Fit to cover that.
  • ladytwilight72
    ladytwilight72 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love my vivofit...I never have to remove it. I have a friend with a fit bit she has to charge hers and often forgets about putting it back on. I wear mine in the shower with no issue and I can change the bands easily (I get bored easy) . It was an excellent purchase
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I have a Vivofit HR. Its waterproof, so you don't have to worry about it if you want to go to the pool. I've charged for about 10 minutes every few days and I haven't lost a charge yet.
  • Katwin2013
    Katwin2013 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    is the vivofit one has to wear the heart belt with waterproof it has swimming on it I have been afraid to wear it in the pool. The best tracker i have ever had is the new balance life trainer takes you heart rate with the press of a button keeps a 7 day record and you do not need a smart phone or computer mine fell off and I bought another one today I do not like not having it