Cauliflower Rice and Zuchini Noodles

Options
soccerkon26
soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
I haven't made or tried either because I've always been able to fit normal rice and pasta into my calories. But, I'm thinking I want to try them!

What has been your experience making and eating them? Any favorite recipes?

Replies

• treegirl97
    treegirl97 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I make this recipe pretty regularly and I really like it. I throw in some chicken or beef for extra protein.

http://aseasyasapplepie.com/quick-easy-cauliflower-fried-rice/
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I use both as a way to replace rice and noodles (I can't eat rice/noodles without seeing my blood sugar head into the 300s). I like having the high-volume less-crazy-BG-ness of zoodles and cauliflower rice, but don't expect them to taste like the food they're trying to mimic (and be prepared for some wicked cauliflower farts).

I found that using a food processor is a lot quicker when making cauliflower rice, and broccoli can often be substituted for cauliflower for a lot cheaper (it also doesn't seem to make as much as a mess compared to when I'm making cauliflower rice). With zucchini noodles, I use a vegetti spiralizer, microwave for 1-2 minutes, and then dry with paper towels. A lot of water likes to come out of the zoodles and would make any sauce I use super watery if I don't drain the excess liquid.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    With zucchini noodles, make sure to get the water out before cooking them because it can make your sauce super watery.

I sprinkle mine with salt and let sit for a minute or two. Then I pat it down with multiple paper towels.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joes near by the frozen riced cauliflower helps take some time off meal prep.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I love zucchini noodles. The last time I made them I sautéed with some cherry tomatoes, top with some shaved parmesan, and grilled chicken. Very tasty.
  • JessaWannaEatEverything
    JessaWannaEatEverything Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I love both. I also make cauliflower hashbrowns - which have saved me from over eating on soooooo many occasions.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I resisted cauliflower rice for so long because it sounded so sad, but once I tried it I started kicking myself that I'd been missing out all this time. I get to eat a big giant plate of food for half the calories of a sad little portion of rice lol. I LOVE THAT.

You can do anything to it -- it's terribly forgiving.

Toss it with just a little tiny bit of oil and roast it or skillet-cook it (either works), or even skillet cook it dry (I did that last night and it worked fine in a quality non-stick skillet). I've mixed it with fruit and nuts to make "cauliflower couscous," or with north african spices (like Berbere or ras al hanout) and onions and squash or carrots for a Moroccan rice; cilantro, cumin, oregano and lime juice for cilantro lime rice; just plain salted it and had it as a plain "rice" side dish with a soupy chicken and sausage stew I made. I've made a version of lamb biryani with cauliflower instead of rice.

You can buy pre-riced cauliflower frozen, as some people have said, or you can just buy riced cauliflower bagged in the produce section too (even my most mass- of mass-market supermarkets in my neighborhood sells it that way), and that can be a big convenience factor. In my experience it keeps as well as fresh cauliflower.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I like zucchini noodles because it allows me too find new ways to present a vegetable (aka, if I'm craving actual pasta, they don't cut it). I toss mine with either chicken or chicken sausage, mushrooms, bell pepper, onion and cook down. Then add goat cheese, laughing cow, and basil.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Another great option (an my favorite for when zucchini is not in season) are edemame noodles. High in protein and fiber and they don't have a weird taste. Texture is more like a ramen noodle.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    If you want to try other vegetable noodles and vegetable rices, inspiralized.com has a ton of recipes. I make noodles from celeriac, beets, butternut squash, and more and have even made plantain rice and turnip risotto.
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great ideas!! Just added the following to my shopping list:

Cauliflower
    Vegetti
    Zuchini

!!! :)
  • BLifts38
    BLifts38 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love cauliflower rice.. mashed cauliflower. Anything! I don't really follow a recipe, I kind of make it however I want. I cut up the cauliflower, boil under tender, add a little salt, pepper, and garlic powder. potentially a little milk and a tad butter.. mix together. boom! delicious!
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I have not tried the cauliflower rice but I tried spaghetti squash and it did nothing for me. I recently made zoodles. It was pretty good. Not a substitute for pasta in my opinion, but good nonetheless. I did not eat a lot of pasta or rice before so I do not miss it so much.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Done both several times!

Zucchini noodles... Honestly it's such a pain with my vegetti (plus I need toothpicks to clean the damn thing every time) that I just cut them in chunks now. *shrug* Tastes the same to me and it's just as satisfying, plus it holds better and is less likely to turn into a watery mess. But I don't eat it as a replacement for pasta - if I want pasta, it will not do at all. If I want a nice meaty sauce though, it's perfect with it.

Cauliflower rice - it cooks very fast, but taste-wise I won't use it in plate of rice.. just on its own as a side dish with a bit of salt and pepper (and a bit of cheese if you like). I did some fried cauliflower rice dish the same way you make regular fried rice and it was just weird (although obviously a huge serving). I gave up replacing rice in recipes since then... I still prefer roasted or mashed cauliflower overall.