What to do??

Options
I am trying to eat heathier but I have a problem! I might sound like a whiner but I cant STAND vegetables. Its a texture thing..just YUCK! I do like some fruits and try to eat them as often as possible. I have tryed eating salads and stuff like that but it absolutely grosses me out. I can't choke it down. lol I have just been watching my calories and making sure that I am exercising quite a bit, is that enough or should I just suck it up and eat more veggies anyway? I sometimes feel like I'm not making a difference by eating a turkey sandwich and fruit for lunch..I feel like I need to be eating a salad! Help!

Replies

• fallonn03
    Options
    I am trying to eat heathier but I have a problem! I might sound like a whiner but I cant STAND vegetables. Its a texture thing..just YUCK! I do like some fruits and try to eat them as often as possible. I have tryed eating salads and stuff like that but it absolutely grosses me out. I can't choke it down. lol I have just been watching my calories and making sure that I am exercising quite a bit, is that enough or should I just suck it up and eat more veggies anyway? I sometimes feel like I'm not making a difference by eating a turkey sandwich and fruit for lunch..I feel like I need to be eating a salad! Help!
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    if there any veggie that you do like?
  • kris23
    kris23 Posts: 44
    Options
    Why not try a veggie soup? one of the puree ones like campbell's garnuey butternut squash. You can put on weight by eating too much fruit. I like to put spinach in my chicken noodle soup, it wilts down to nothing. or you can take greens (its a powder you had to water and drink, lots of people who can't stomach raw veggies (people that have ulcers or the texture thing) you can get it at most grocery stores.
  • jlruhlman
    Options
    if you hate veggies then i wouldnt force your self.... it will make you want to quit- it would me anyhow....... just stick to your calories, fruit, and exercise..... take your vitamins to make up for the lack of veggies! if you are a yo-yo dieter than you definately dont want to force your self cause it is hard enough for you! take it easy on your self and do the diet that makes you happy! ~ so then you will stick to it
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge veggie fan either, so I found a great juice called V8 Fusion "lite" that tastes like fruit. One 8 oz serving I think is equivalent to 3 servings of veggies. I don't abhor veggies as much as you, I make myself eat them, but I never stop and say, "Boy a brussel sprout sure sounds good right about now.":laugh: Give it a try:smile:
  • Jump_Start
    Options
    I found someone that shares the same feeling as I do! I can't handle the texture of veggies (besides uncooked celery and carrots... ) I am probably the pickiest eater ever known. It really is sad because I try and try to like things, but the texture kills me (like jello ... YUCK!) The V8 fusion is definately a good thing, and vitamins are a necessity. I don't know how to really substitute veggies besides that, so just hang in there and don't force the down. I've tried. It's not worth it :tongue:
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    You sound just like my daughter. She loves V8 and I let that count. Also, I make different things different ways and sometimes I actually come up with something she will eat. Lightly steamed cauliflower with a little mayonnaise is now something she asks for. Also, she'll suddenly eat the steamed red peppers in stir fry. And she absolutely loves raw snap peas. And she loves these turkey wraps with romaine lettuce on them. And canned green beans. I do try to sneak them in when she's not looking. Once a month I take all the vegetables in the refrigerator and cut about one cup of each of them: peas, brocolli, cauliflower, celery, carrots, you name it, I put it in there. Then I steam them until they are very soft, puree the heck out of them in the blender and add them to tomato sauce and make spaghetti sauce, which we sometimes have with noodles and sometimes I use it on other things. I know she should eat them everyday, and I'm happy if she eats 2 servings of ANYTHING green or orange. My friend makes a smoothie with romaine lettuce and spinach, and some other stuff. I hate the tecture but she loves it and has it every day. Personally I can hardly eat a cooked vegetable but I LOVE them raw. What I'm saying in a lot of words is, try them different ways, you may come up with something you CAN keep down. And I know that feeling because I couldn't gag an avocado or cooked peas or cooked spinach down. Good luck. :smile:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I don't like cooked veggies but have not much of a problem with raw veggies...just choose the ones you can tolerate and use low fat, low calorie dressings that you like...also a multivitamin to complement and supplement your diet. And if you like V8, hey that is good too. I have never liked it...good luck and hang in there!!!!
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to eat frozen veggies?? They always seem to soggy to me. Try making FRESH veggies. They are supposed to be crisp and colorful not mushy and dull. lol I used to overcook veggies all the time. Yuck. Make sure to use a steam basket too. They make the best veggies and dont over-cook. Good Luck.
  • beanyspoon
    Options
    Maybe you could change the texture of your veg.... try mashing some swede and carrot with some potato. It's slightly sweet and really delicious. Just put a little bit of light spread into it like flora and it's really nice. The texture will be completely different.
  • hackney3
    Options
    I have a hard time with veggies, as well - it's nice to hear I'm not the only adult who can't stand the texture :happy: I can eat some of the raw stuff - but you got to have ranch dressing and that gets you in trouble.
    Any creative salad ideas out there?
  • whendee05
    Options
    woohooo i'm not alone! i'm someone who could live off of fast food, never really had a thing for veggies. i would really love for someone to put out a healthy cook book for PICKY PEOPLE!!!! :laugh:
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    What about that cook book from Sienfeld's wife - deseptively delicious? She puree's everthing then adds it to other foods so her kids don't know it's in there. We have to be careful about we eat because of food allergies (egg and peanut), but some of the recipes sounded good.

I'm not sure what the calorie count is either, but at least you'd get your veggies : ) Check it out a library maybe they have.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I hate all veggies as well, but I can tolerate minestrone soup...
    that's my only .02

Kim
  • rhondababy
    Options
    The point of eating vegetables is to get the fiber, the water, the anti-oxidants and the vitamins....so cooking them in an oven at 350 degrees for 35 min mixed into a high calorie, sugar (or honey) laden cake mix defies the point!
    Also- if you're working on eating vegetables, the most important ones are the leafy greans, the ones in the cabbage family (brussels sprouts, cauliflower, etc...), and the brightly colored ones. Potatoes don't count as a veggie- they are a starch.
    I can eat almost anything that is gently sauted in olive oil, with fresh garlic, salt and lemon juice...yum! My kids have all grown up on veggies, and never refused a vegetable. The clue is fresh, and nicely prepared, and beautifully served. If all that sunds like too much for you- pure some veggies and add them to spaghetti sauce, or as suggested earlier make a soup.
  • blueberrybox
    Options
    try boca or morning star farm meatless patties
    theyre really good and filling for me atleast
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the V8 Fusion.? Try making cauliflower mashed potatoes.