Bad Week

Options
Hi everyone,

I've been on a path to healthy living for almost 2 months now (since May 10) and I've been doing fairly well. I've been motivated and eating pretty healthy up until this week. I've managed to lose 16lbs as well. However, I don't know why, but the last few days, I've been wanting to eat everything that's bad for me and I feel like I'd rather get a tooth pulled than exercise. I've been under my calorie goal all week (except for today...I'm over by 49 calories) and forcing myself to exercise, but tonight I actually quit in the middle of my workout 'cause I just didn't want to do it anymore. I just don't understand. I WANT to lose weight and I love seeing my body start to change and people are even starting to notice now. I don't know why I've been feeling like this. It's not my TOM and I haven't been under any extra stress or anything. I don't know what's going on....I just want to get motivated again. Is this normal?

Replies

• loseatonlady
    loseatonlady Posts: 160
    Options
    Dont give up - TRUST ME - you won't regret it if you push on! I've been there too and I still have to fight through these thoughts sometimes. Sometimes I still have to say to myself - one more step, one more step! YOU CAN DO THIS! Lean on your friends and new MFP family to help you! What can we do to help you????
    :happy:
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    For me - it's also normal. If you've ever been addicted to anything else you'll understand. Cigarettes, alcohol, food, it's all the same. The first part is hard, then there's an easy part where you feel like you can do it for the rest of your life but then there's a second wall after a couple months and you want to go back to your old habits.

Keep pushing through it! It's temporary! Soon eating smart and exercising will feel good again! It's just a little while and you can beat that niggling voice inside you that wants what it shouldn't have!

YOU CAN DO IT!
  • jamiegirl816
    Options
    Maybe look up some new healthy recipes or vary your workout a little. Sometimes something as little as changing the playlist you work out to can help. What were the things you really enjoyed when you first started? Try to make those interesting again. You are still here and that's what matters. Keep up the good work!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    It's totally natural to have highs and lows, you arent alone in that!

Try to vary what you do to burn calories. What i find is if im doing an activity for the enjoyment of doing it, then i dont even think of the calories burned, its just a by-product of having a good time!

For me, its Badminton. I play in leagues, and when im there its about winning the match, having fun....oh, and it happens to burn several hundred calories, without even thinking about it!

In the gym all i end up thinking about is how many calories it burns...its stopped being a pleasure, and started becoming a chore.

But...yes, it is natural to feel like that! :)
  • TheCarrieBerrie
    Options
    We've all been there! Trust me! If your not feeling a workout and your half way thorouh. Guess what? Thats halfway better than none and you get kudo's for that. Switch it up, hit Zumba or do something wacky or crazy! Stay on the path your on and youll reach your goals... no worries.. we've all been there girl.
  • jhorton7876
    jhorton7876 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think you are just suffering from a bit of burnout. Have you been doing the same workout(s) consistently since you started? If so, then it is likely that your body has reached a plateau and you need to switch things up a bit. I'm just starting with this site today, but was a collegiate athlete. One of the things I was always told is that you must train consistently but it is essential to have variation to "trick" the body. Without it your body literally says to itself, "oh, we know this, we know what to expect" and basically goes into auto pilot. Its okay to take a day off every now and then the key is to not become discouraged and get back to your regimen as soon as possible. If you generally jog, then lift or do elliptical then lift, try swimming for a week. Just switch it up to keep your body guessing. :-)
  • Blissfull_kels
    Options
    Hi there. I know how this feels. Been there! Still there on and off...could your lack of motivation be hormonal? So often I find it can be. I read some interesting stuff by Michele Berger aka Buffmother and she has a lot of info on hormonal timing.

One bit of advice; give your body, mind, spirit, emotions and blind spot (the blind spot bit, thing I JUST learned about today - apparently it is the one thing you have the hardest time with) what they need. If you your body needs a break from workouts; go dancing, if your mind needs a break from work; watch a comedy, if your emotions needs a break from the day to day drab or always feeling something; have a glass of wine or b&tch with a friend, if your blind spot is bothering you; nuture it, love it, hate it, scream at it, have fun, write, or just sit and think about your plans, future and life! :)

GOOD LUCK & add me as a friend :) Bliss.
  • megankayden
    megankayden Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have been having the exact same problem, lost 13 pounds, was getting toned and people were saying how great I looked. I have a 6 month old baby that hasn't ever slept. Up every 2 hours since I brought him home, I started to stress eat and hit up A & W, Dairy Queen blizzards..whatever just to make me feel better. I had to give myself a butt kick, I started doing the "Couch to 5K" to get my motivation back, I needed a goal to work towards to keep me from falling of the wagon...I watch X-weighted all the time and stole their idea of a "fitness goal" is there any you would like to do?? It might help :)
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    To one of My dearest friends, You have been doing so good, having a rest day or eating over your calories a little bit IS NOT A BAD DAY!! Change the way you think, be PROUD of all you have done, know that your going to get where you want to be. Eating is Eating even if its not the best choice. Just dont do that everyday!
    Look at those beautiful girls and know that they are one reason you are doing this. You said you want to set a good example for them. To teach them how to eat well and live well. They see the changes your making to be healthy and THATS A BIG LESSON for them.
    Know that Matt is proud of you for your choices.
    Everyone has days when we dont eat well or dont want to workout ITS OK!!
    NO NEGATIVE THOUGHTS> YOUR ALLOWED A DAY OFF!! This is for life my friend not for the quick fix, it takes time to get there BUT YOU WILL GET THERE!!

Do me a favor tomorrow get a back pack out and put cans in it till it weighs 16 lbs or 24 lbs to know from last year and carry it on your back for an hour, there is nothing like feeling the weight you have lost to give you more modivation.

HUGS TO YOU SONIA
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    IT'S VERY NORMAL, IT HAPPENS TO EVERYONE. JUST DON'T LET IT GET SO OUT OF HAND THAT YOU UNDO ALL THE GOOD YOU'VE DONE, BECAUSE YOU HAVE DONE AN AWESOME JOB.ALLOW YOURSELF 1 DAY A WEEK TO SLACK OFF A BIT, THEN BACK AT IT, LOVE, RED
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Are you in the UK by any chance? I'm convinced its the weather! Seriously - both my wife and I have struggled to stay motivated this week.

Keep fighting on... Feel a lot better today now that storms broken.
  • maritimemom
    maritimemom Posts: 192
    Options
    Thanks for all the support everyone!! I really appreciate it! I feel better today and although it's my exercise 'day off', I'm still under my calories and I will be back at it tomorrow!

@mikeyrp - I'm actually in Canada but we've been having craptastic weather too! lol Not much of a Summer so far.