losing weight but no energy?

Options
I'm the kind of person whose always tired. I've lost 13 lbs just cutting calories and am still always tired. I know I'm not going to start bouncing off the walls since I still eat junk and don't work out yet, but I assumed the weight loss itself would give me an energy boost since I don't have as much fat weighing me down and I'm not putting anywhere near the junk in me I was. Was I wrong about this and have to wait until my diet is mostly clean or until I start going to the gym? Or something else I'm not realizing. I'm so happy about how I look but it's discouraging when I want to sleep 10 hours a day and am still always tired.

Replies

• DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a doctor? Lack of energy could be caused by all sorts of things.
  • BrokeBirkin
    BrokeBirkin Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Well I don't have insurance but I've mentioned it in my free check ups and they said I seem healthy, probably just lifestyle but I've been like that since middle school.
  • xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Im like this by the time i get home from work i cant be bothered doing anything, and i only have a desk job.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    How big is your deficit? Or, if it's easier for you to look at it this way, for how much weight per week to lose do you have your account set up?
  • critterbug15
    critterbug15 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Do you take a multi? Are you making sure you get enough sodium, potassium, and magnesium? It may not be that simple or even that complex - it may just be that your deficit is high enough that you don't have the calories you need to be very active. That's a common side effect of big deficits. If you're willing to delay scale gratification, you could see how you would feel with slightly higher cals/day. Especially at a big deficit, it becomes really important that the foods you eat have some quality nutritional value. You have to pack a lot of nutrition into a small amount of food.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    When you get your free checkup can you ask them to test you for deficiencies? It could be any number of things and a professional needs to assess you. Not running any tests and saying you "seem healthy" isn't good enough, IMO.

As for your original question - I was a bit more active when I lost weight because I had more confidence. I didn't notice a physical change in my energy levels after losing 20 pounds. It was all mental.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm the kind of person whose always tired. I've lost 13 lbs just cutting calories and am still always tired. I know I'm not going to start bouncing off the walls since I still eat junk and don't work out yet, but I assumed the weight loss itself would give me an energy boost since I don't have as much fat weighing me down and I'm not putting anywhere near the junk in me I was. Was I wrong about this and have to wait until my diet is mostly clean or until I start going to the gym? Or something else I'm not realizing. I'm so happy about how I look but it's discouraging when I want to sleep 10 hours a day and am still always tired.

Exercise gives me energy. You don't have to belong to a gym to get it. Start by walking. http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/10-amazing-benefits-walking/

However, when my anemia was untreated I did get fatigue like you describe. Do get your iron (and thyroid, etc.) levels checked.

Oh, and eating clean per se is not necessary but you should look to see if any foods are making you more tired. Wheat is a common culprit. I'm ok with bread made from sprouted wheat but bread made from flour makes me sleepy.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    You could be under eating potentially, but there are also medical conditions that can cause fatigue. I'd see my doctor if I felt that way :)
  • BrokeBirkin
    Options
    I think kshama2001 might be on to something. When I went to donate blood I passed the blood test but passed out during and they admitted my iron was pretty low. They claimed I barely passed but I'm suspicious they lied because I have one of the most needed blood types. I get light headed more than what I'm told is normal.
  • jdude3262
    jdude3262 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I never have more energy than when I'm exercising. You'd think you would be more tired after working hard but it's opposite for me.
  • BrokeBirkin
    Options
    Also I'm 157 and eating 1200 cal a day. It's my lose 2 pounds a week deficit according to this app, but obviously I'm not losing that quickly.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    p4i765k835d1.jpeg

Macronutrients is the next level of weight loss for you.
    This is an important thing because it in large part will be the dictator of the energy. The exercise certainly plays a part, if for anything, vitality.

Weight loss is tough on the body so you really need to start to focus on feeding your muscles... Need the right balance with your genetics, temperament to carbs in check. Not really my place to advise you what is best, do your research
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Also I'm 157 and eating 1200 cal a day. It's my lose 2 pounds a week deficit according to this app, but obviously I'm not losing that quickly.

In that case, you're consuming A LOT fewer Calories than your body is used to. Yes, I'd expect you to have much less energy. Try setting MFP to lose only 1 lb per week for a month. My guess, not knowing how tall you are, is that 2 lb per week is probably too much for you, anyway, considering you weigh 157.
  • hhazzouri
    hhazzouri Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Lack of energy is usually one of the following (not counting medical issues)
    -Not drinking enough water
    -Drinking coffee instead of water
    -Too little fat in diet
    -Not getting Micro nutrients
    -Did i say water ?
    -Too much sleep
  • BrokeBirkin
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I think it might be low nutrients and I know I sleep too much. Like I said I've been like this as long as I can remember so it's not my new diet, it didn't really affect my energy levels. I'm going to look into nutrients soon.
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had tests run on your thyroid?
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    How are you mental health-wise? I'm tired a lot of the time and it's linked with my depression.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Agree with above:

-Reduce your weight loss weight goals for a while.
    -Take supplements, particularly iron. Spatone is worth a try, if you can get it.
    - see your doctor if things don't improve.
    - meantime, work on improving the nutritional profile of what you eat - more protein from food, more fruit and veg, whole grains to replace refined carbs.