Birthday and food

Options
cjfarborist
cjfarborist Posts: 25 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So my birthday is tomorrow and I have plans to eat out lunch with my mom and then have a birthday dinner with my family. I eat at a pretty high deficit (1360) but its the only way I've been able to loose weight. .

I've been really pleased with my progress lately and i dont want to jepordize it, but i want go out and not worry about what im putting in my mouth so much that it ruins both lunch and dinner.
Any recommendations for healthy lunch ideas that aren't chain resturaunts? If i just eat a tiny breakfast will that makes things worse? Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm team, "enjoy yourself on your birthday," one surplus day isn't going to ruin you.
    Start back on the deficit the day after your birthday.

Congrats on your progress and happy birthday.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    its my birthday tomorrow as well & also a 4 day long weekend .i will be enjoying myself fully and with out guilt for those 4 days

i always take logging "caring about calories eating whatever i want" days during special times and its always worth it
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    The breakfast question really depends on what works best for YOU. If eating something small will hold you over until lunch then do that. If you are the type that can skip breakfast then do that. If skipping it will make you hungrier and make you eat more at lunch than you normally would don't skip it.

Celebratory meals are for socializing and enjoying the company of others. Yes, the food is important too so choose a lunch and a dinner place you like and eat moderate portions.

Oh, and Happy Birthday a day early!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I eat lighter throughout the day if I'm going out for dinner. I also cycle calories or save exercise calories for certain days of the week. Grilled fish or seafood with vegetables might be a lunch option that is still delicious and feels special. Or Spanish tapas/ a place with small plates where you can just sample one or two things while sharing - citrus salad, marinated olives, garlic shrimp, and a glass of wine?

However, I agree with the others. There are a few occasions and a few restaurants in the city that I'm just not going to restrict for because they are rare, special events or seriously top-notch food. It might be a total of a week out of the whole year.
    Happy birthday!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    How much can you realistically gain in a day, considering 1lbs = 3500cals above maintenance. And it is your birthday! Eat! Celebrate :)
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    How much can you realistically gain in a day, considering 1lbs = 3500cals above maintenance. And it is your birthday! Eat! Celebrate :)

This^ it's just one day. Just don't let one day turn into two...or three...

• lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    YOLO. Enjoy and happy birthday!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    You are eating at a 1,360 cal deficit? Or that is your net calorie goal?

How much weight are you losing?

As others have said, it is very unlikely that you can undo much, if any of your progress in one day. 3,500 cals to gain 1 lb, but beware of water retention causing a temporary increase in scale weight from the indulgent meals.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's your birthday...enjoy yourself. It's an occasion, not an everyday event. Your weight loss, health, fitness, etc are not predicated on occasions here and there...these things are influenced by what you're doing most of the time.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    But birthday calories don't count ;)

I agree with the others, enjoy yourself tomorrow and get back to it Saturday. I've always taken a break the week of my birthday and eaten at maintenance.
  • hhazzouri
    hhazzouri Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Birthday in 5 days. Fasting until dinner then eating at maintenance.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    hhazzouri wrote: »
    Birthday in 5 days. Fasting until dinner then eating at maintenance.

I do the other way around... Very light breakfast, huge lunch, no dinner. Works great. This year it was on a Sunday so I had a huge brunch instead.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Well, my birthday is coming up next month and I'll probably just eat at maintenance level that day. It isn't a big deal to eat a bit more one day.
    What kind of restaurants are you going to?
    Most restaurants have salads. You could get things like grilled meats, vegetables without sauces. You might want to split a dish with someone or bring home half if the portions are big. Go easy on fried foods, bread, pasta and rice. Drink water or unsweetened tea.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    My birthday was last month. I went over my calories by about 1000. Mexican food for lunch. Italian for dinner, including tiramisu. Wine. I regret nothing.
  • cjfarborist
    cjfarborist Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The overwhelming response is to enjoy the day with moderation. Spanish tapas sound great! Or maybe sushi? Will take peoples advice and just have fun.