Leg Press Machine

Options
I am living in an apartment complex for the next six months or so, and it has a really decent (and free) fitness center for every kind of workout, but legs. I can do leg extensions, leg curls, calf raises. Plenty of Dumbbells for lunges or whatever. But, there is no rack for squats, and no smith machine, only a leg press that looks almost identical to the pic.

I don't like this machine, it doesn't seem to fit right no matter how you adjust it. To get to the weight I want it feels like I am over stressing my knees. I work like crazy on it, but don't seem to make good progress. But it's all I have.

Are there any secrets to getting a better workout on this thing? Does it matter where you put your feet, high or low? Is there an optimal decline for the back rest? I am almost to the point of joining a gym just for leg days... fq1ao05rnlur.jpeg

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    cmtristani wrote: »
    Are there any secrets to getting a better workout on this thing? Does it matter where you put your feet, high or low? Is there an optimal decline for the back rest? I am almost to the point of joining a gym just for leg days... [/img]
    I rarely use the machines but foot placement? I think its a matter what feels comfortable. Since leg press are isolations, you might want to try single leg presses to the most of it, like 5x10 per leg.
    But, there is no rack for squats, and no smith machine, only a leg press that looks almost identical to the pic.
    I say burn it down.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I don't like this machine, it doesn't seem to fit right no matter how you adjust it. To get to the weight I want it feels like I am over stressing my knees.

I agree about lowering the back pad. Place feet high and wide. Allow your knees to go outward slightly as you lower - don't keep them close like she's doing.

You can also do goblet squats and dumbbell squats (holding 2 DBs between knees). :+1:
  • cmtristani
    cmtristani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Never tried those squats before, I will look that up.

I will try back down feet high next leg day - thanks!
  • hhazzouri
    hhazzouri Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Foot placement: should look like a squat at starting position
    Secret: Dont use momentum, push slowly on the eccentric, same goes for the concentric
    you'll outgrow the weights pretty soon, and that's when this becomes a single legged leg press machine
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i use the leg press as an accessory exercise to my big lifts. Foot placement matters, experiment around high and wide, center and closer together, whatever, try all the different positions and feel how it affects different muscles in your legs. Also you can do single leg presses on it. its a good tool , i do it about every other week
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    When I've used those machines I lean it back a little bit maybe 30 degrees from vertical. Feet are kind of high and little more than shoulder width. I pulled the seat as close as I can so that my knees are as far back as reasonable in the starting position. But yeah overall those machines suck. Better than nothing and the price is right.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I can't fit in that type of leg press either and I'm not a big guy. I have nothing against the leg press, but that type would force me to find another gym for legs day.
  • cmtristani
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will figure a way to get more out of the machine.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    That type of leg press machine sucks in my opinion. I'd only do single leg press on them because of weight restrictions.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    hhazzouri wrote: »
    Foot placement: should look like a squat at starting position
    Secret: Dont use momentum, push slowly on the eccentric, same goes for the concentric
    you'll outgrow the weights pretty soon, and that's when this becomes a single legged leg press machine

Pretty much this. It'll probably take you less than a month to max out the weight with two legs. They are better than nothing, but barely.
  • jerinick2016
    jerinick2016 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use it because I can't do the quad machine...bad right knee. I keep the back straight up. I put my feet high on the press and alternate straight, pointed out and pointed inward each set. 12 reps 3 sets at 135 pounds.
  • cmtristani
    Options
    So i messed around with foot position on the platform today. I did 3-4 reps, then moved my feet, did 3-4 more, several times. I did this for the first two sets. I found that having my feet pretty high, and a little farther apart than I would have thought, made a difference. I can't say the difference was huge, but it was noticeable and I did feel there was a lot less stress on my back. I had the chair back reclined as far as it would go, that helped, too.

Thanks everyone for the tips!
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Don't do them. Squats will work all the same muscles, plus more. I don't use any machines for strength training. They just aren't necessary.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Don't do them. Squats will work all the same muscles, plus more. I don't use any machines for strength training. They just aren't necessary.

^^ read the original post.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    Goblet squats are good but again you may progress out of them. Consider single leg db squats and sissy squats as body weight alternatives and use the leg press as an accessory/finisher machine? Pistol squats are also good but some people don't have the ankle flexibility for them.

All are less than ideal compared to barbell squats but you work with what you have.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options

^^ read the original post.
    I am living in an apartment complex for the next six months or so, and it has a really decent (and free) fitness center for every kind of workout, but legs. I can do leg extensions, leg curls, calf raises. Plenty of Dumbbells for lunges or whatever. But, there is no rack for squats, and no smith machine, only a leg press that looks almost identical to the pic.

Smdh. Since when do you need a squat rack to do a squat? I see children doing squat movements every day and they don't need a rack to do it. It's a natural human movement. And the smith machine is going to hinder your ability to squat so that's a waste of time.

Again, don't waste your time with the leg press. Do squats. If you need a spotter find a gym buddy.
  • StealthHealth
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Again, don't waste your time with the leg press. Do squats. If you need a spotter find a gym buddy.

what's he going to need a spotter for?
  • Fluffy2Fit2Shredded
    Fluffy2Fit2Shredded Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I travel for work and at times the hotel gym would have this and only this for legs. I use the Dumbbells too but you can still do a lot with that machine. Heals near the top and you'll feel it in your hamstrings, legs together near the middle you'll workout the outer part of your legs, normal shoulder width spread apart you'll hit quads, lower and you'll hit quads from diff angle, very wide you can feel inner, balls of feet near very bottom with heels hanging off the machine and you can target your calves. Good luck!