My protein fluff was WAY tastier today because...

Options
khhregister
khhregister Posts: 229 Member
...I added vanilla extract.
It was like magic. It went from "pretty good" to DELICIOUS.

My typical recipe:
30-35 g of casein (2 partly-filled scoops from my container)
2g Xanthan gum (1 tsp)
150 g of milk (I weigh it on my scale rather than using a measuring cup)
12g PB2 (2 Tbs)
Blend with hand blender ~ 2-3 minutes until very fluffy.

Today 1 added 1 tsp vanilla. I'm not going to say the difference was night and day, because I already like protein fluff a LOT, but now I really, really like it.
Note that I don't add any sugar or sweetener - this already tastes sweet to me.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Protein fluff is easily one of the most disappointing "hype" food things I've ever tried.

I just don't get it.

Being said- I make a mean greek yogurt with protein powder that IS delicious.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Protein fluff is easily one of the most disappointing "hype" food things I've ever tried.

I just don't get it.

This is what I do too. I'm from the south, so my go to is vanilla Greek yogurt, banana cream protein powder, vanilla wafers. Let sit in fridge for a while to get the vanilla wafers all nice and soft :)
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options

I just don't get it.

I LOVE adding protein powder to my Greek yogurt! If you freeze it, it's like ice cream! :)
  • BLifts38
    BLifts38 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I buy D's naturals smores protein fluff .. anddddddddddd it's amazing!
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »

I just don't get it.

I LOVE adding protein powder to my Greek yogurt! If you freeze it, it's like ice cream! :)

Do I just buy bad tasting protein powder? I just bought two different varieties to try, spent like $30 and I don't like either of them. The one time I tried to mix protein powder into yogurt years ago I almost threw up and nothing else has ever made me gag from flavor alone.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    @brb_2013 what protein powder are you using? I like dymatize iso-100 cinnamon roll (or bun?) and cake batter, I mix it until there are no lumps and I think it is great!
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »

I just don't get it.

This is what I do too. I'm from the south, so my go to is vanilla Greek yogurt, banana cream protein powder, vanilla wafers. Let sit in fridge for a while to get the vanilla wafers all nice and soft :)

Raising Hand: Southerner here, too! Yum...banana pudding. Would you mind sharing the ~cal count?
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    cocates wrote: »

I just don't get it.

Raising Hand: Southerner here, too! Yum...banana pudding. Would you mind sharing the ~cal count?

Calorie and macro counts will be for ingredients I use, but should be close for others.

Single serving of Dannon Light & Fit Greek nonfat vanilla yogurt (150g)
    1/2 serving of Trutein Banana Cream Protein (this happens to be what I use) (17g)
    1/3 serving Vanilla Wafers (I usually just use a reduced fat off brand) (4-5 wafers)
    Also, I usually add a touch of water to help thin it out, but some form of milk can be used, just have to adjust calories and macros accordingly.
    Mix well, let sit in fridge for a few hours for best results (I like my wafers soft), but can be eaten straight away if wanted.

185'ish calories per serving
    24g protein
    19g carbs
    2g fat
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I just don't get it.

Same. My current obsession is Salted Caramel Quest protein powder, Fage, and strawberries. So freaking good!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »

I just don't get it.

Do I just buy bad tasting protein powder? I just bought two different varieties to try, spent like $30 and I don't like either of them. The one time I tried to mix protein powder into yogurt years ago I almost threw up and nothing else has ever made me gag from flavor alone.

If so, we're in the same boat. For me, it's the amount of artificial sweetener. Either the degree of sweetness, the off taste you get when you use mega doses of the sweetener, or the aftertaste alone would be enough to do me in. Combine them and forget it. I've tried using the stuff enough times that now just the smell of protein powder gets my gag reflex going :confounded:

In my opinion, whoever is doing the taste testing for these companies lacks tastebuds. But, plenty of people buy it so I'm clearly in the minority.

The only protein I can stand is the unflavored stuff. That I can flavor in an acceptable way.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options

I just don't get it.

Try it with a little cream cheese in it it tastes like cheese cake filling.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »

I just don't get it.

Try it with a little cream cheese in it it tastes like cheese cake filling.

Or just make a protein cheesecake for pure awesomeness.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I like it too but I use a 1/2 cup of Friendship whipped cottage cheese and it adds a good creamy consistency mixed with the gelatin.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've been making a frosty milkshake with a cup of nonfat fairlife milk and 2 scoops of chocolate EAS. Pop that baby in the freezer for an hour or so and reshake. Like an afternoon treat.
  • BLifts38
    BLifts38 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    aub6689 wrote: »
    @brb_2013 what protein powder are you using? I like dymatize iso-100 cinnamon roll (or bun?) and cake batter, I mix it until there are no lumps and I think it is great!

Ive been dying to try the cinnamon bun! I'm just about out of the fudge brownie.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »

I just don't get it.

The best tasting protein powders I've tried that actually taste like what's stated on the label are Optimum Nutrition, I like choc/peanut butter casein, and Quest.

I make a "chocolate pudding" with Chobani yogurt and the ON casein, topped with cottage cheese and raspberries. So delicious!!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I wanted to love protein fluff but I did not. Sludge is pretty good though, probably because it doesn't require a mixer.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

I just don't get it.

Calorie and macro counts will be for ingredients I use, but should be close for others.

1/2 serving of Trutein Banana Cream Protein (this happens to be what I use) (17g)
    1/3 serving Vanilla Wafers (I usually just use a reduced fat off brand) (4-5 wafers)
    Also, I usually add a touch of water to help thin it out, but some form of milk can be used, just have to adjust calories and macros accordingly.
    Mix well, let sit in fridge for a few hours for best results (I like my wafers soft), but can be eaten straight away if wanted.

24g protein
    19g carbs
    2g fat

Trutein's Banana Cream flavor is one of the most delicious protein powders I've ever tried (and I've tried a ton of them, going clear back to the '80s when they all tasted like chalk dust). I ordered a 2 pound tub to try it, went through it like crazy and just re-ordered a 4 pound tub because it's definitely a keeper. I'm definitely going to give your recipe a try, but I'll be substituting Dannon Oikos Triple Zero greek yogurt (I like the taste/texture better).
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options

I just don't get it.

I agree. Protein fluff is too airy. I love 0% Greek yogurt, protein powder+ cocoa or PB2.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I just don't get it.

24g protein
    19g carbs
    2g fat

Trutein's Banana Cream flavor is one of the most delicious protein powders I've ever tried (and I've tried a ton of them, going clear back to the '80s when they all tasted like chalk dust). I ordered a 2 pound tub to try it, went through it like crazy and just re-ordered a 4 pound tub because it's definitely a keeper. I'm definitely going to give your recipe a try, but I'll be substituting Dannon Oikos Triple Zero greek yogurt (I like the taste/texture better).

That one tastes just like a banana fudgesicle.