Running for beginners

Options
I've started running & I'm looking for tips to help me improve. I'm hoping to do my first 5k in July and just wondered how other people have got started and what helped them best.
I tried using the couch to 5k app and managed about 2 weeks on it before I got bored and gave up (mostly because I couldn't get music to play through my app I think). I have also for the past 3 weeks been just going out running with music and an app to measure my speed/distance on the go. I've enjoyed this more than the couch to 5k experience but I'm not sure I'm pushing myself hard enough, I tend to stop after about a minute or so and have a walk before going again.
I know it's down to personal preference but just wanted some ideas on what helped other people really.
I'm not very fit at all and still a good 60lbs over weight so need to build up my ability to go for longer distances so any hints/tips/advice on how you started are gratefully received.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I used C25K and played my music through my phone...never tried it through the app.

The premise behind the C25k is building up to a 5k which you can do on your own.

first week run 1min walk 2 for 30mins
    2nd week run 1.5min walk 1.5 for 30mins

etc.

you pick the intervals...and remember at first it's about duration of the run not the speed....speed can come later.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Exactly, slow down if you feel you're too out of breath to speak kind of coherent sentences during running. You build endurance from running slow. This will later also give you the necessary training to be able to run faster. But for now try to stay slow. Also, only run on alternate days as your whole skeletal system needs to get used to running as it's not a low impact sport. Your muscles might adjust quickly, but your joints, ligaments, tendons, etc need longer. By not running every day and starting out slow you can prevent getting injured.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've run off and on since I was a teenager, so when I started again I just took it easy and worked up without a specific program. But I knew what a reasonable speed was and all that. If you are brand new C25K is a good program, or there are various other similar off the couch programs. Jeff Galloway has a run-walk program too.

Slowing down so you can run longer is a good idea.

If you don't want to listen to the app maybe find out the principles -- like run X distance/time, walk Y distance/time -- for a particular workout and then just go do it while listening to your music.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I used a C25K app called "Zombies, Run" - this gave a structured 8 week progressive programme, all with a story line. It really got me interested. The training app is free for Android and iOS (the main app does cost money, however).

Other than that, as SezxyStef says - go slow and progressively build on how long joined up you can move over time. Don't run consecutive days as you will need the in-between days to recover. There are plenty of non-app C25Ks on the web which will give you an idea of how you can break up your run/walk periods over time.

Biggest tip from me - if you think you're running too slow, you're probably running too fast. Slow down. The idea behind the beginners programme is getting your body used to the new motion. Too much too fast will cause injury.

But above all, enjoy yourself!
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Seconding the Zombies5K recommendation! I tried using C25K and couldn't get into it. Z5K is fantastic - well-written and voice-acted, and you can play your own music! I suggest making a playlist specifically for Zombies Run and using that for your runs.

They start you off gradually and work you up to running longer. You're not supposed to feel like dying after a run, lol - run slowly. I have one more training before the big 5K day. If I can do it, I know you can :smile:
  • slowbubblecar
    slowbubblecar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    While some will say you can't, you can prepare for running on the elliptical. I was never into running until my friends decided they wanted to train for a 5k. Without any running prior, I decided to have try at it to establish a base before training for the 5k. I expected to be able to run/walk it based on having decent cardio capacity from the elliptical but was able to run the entire thing without training for it specifically. While running may be ideal, if your cardio capacity (breathing) is your biggest issue, you can overcome that by using another form of exercise as well. Make sure you use resistance to put stress on your body either way though.
  • RachelEdwards1977
    RachelEdwards1977 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Zombies 5k is great, time flies by coz you're busy listening to the story. Music thru the C25K app is hit & miss, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm currently on wk 4 C25K.
  • Erin_CA
    Erin_CA Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use a Tabata App and I LOVE it. I have used the other programs also, but I found that I was wanting different intervals. With the Tabata App you can program your intervals and listen to music at the same time. There is a few different ones out there.
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Exactly, slow down if you feel you're too out of breath to speak kind of coherent sentences during running. You build endurance from running slow. This will later also give you the necessary training to be able to run faster. But for now try to stay slow. Also, only run on alternate days as your whole skeletal system needs to get used to running as it's not a low impact sport. Your muscles might adjust quickly, but your joints, ligaments, tendons, etc need longer. By not running every day and starting out slow you can prevent getting injured.

^^^^ This is good advice. And whatever you consider "slow", run slower than that. Think "slow jog", not run. Do your best to not get out of breath. Walk whenever you need to keep from getting winded. Before you know it you'll be jogging along for minutes at a time without needing to walk.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I started without any particular program. I would (for example) run to the next street sign, walk to the next fire hydrant, run to the yard up there with the dog... etc. Lol. With consistency, it'll get easier. Eventually, increase the number of mailboxes you run past, and decrease the number of light poles you walk past. :)
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I mix elliptical and running, the former helps the latter. Squats help running, too. That's important if you are overweight and out of shape. Get on a machine to work you hip abductors. It's very important to have strong core and thighs for stable and balanced running. I find myself running with my lower legs at times, when I should be pushing off with my thighs.

Also, study running form. It's important to train yourself to land properly. And make sure you have your shoes fitted for your particular gait.

You might not be ready for a race by July. Take this slow.