Leg workout w/ lower back pain

Options
pinggolfer96
pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
anyone have a good leg workout when experiencing lower back pain? It feels better when I'm actually moving around and active, but a strenuous leg workout makes it worse. I was thinking maybe goblet or front squats instead of back? Then maybe some single leg lunges or smith machine lunges. Then just a machine focused leg routine as well to reduce that compression on my back. Any recommendations? Thank you

Replies

• robertpcooke
    robertpcooke Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You might want to try goblet squats, Russian step ups and rear foot raised Bulgarian split squats on a smith machine
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of squats you can do without loading a bar on your shoulders. One of my favorite I like to do is Jeffersons. They absolutely kill the quads. If you don't want to do lunges or squats with dumbbells, there are variations where you can do with a barbell. I do this typically because I want to lift heavy and you can only hold so much weight for so long on dumbbells before your grip gives out. Machine leg extensions or leg curls for hams (lying or sitting), hack squat machine, leg press machine.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have arthritis and do not do barbell squats. I'll do goblet squats, walking lunges, leg press, hip abductor, leg curl, leg extension, and box jumps. Not all of them in the same day. I'll switch between box jumps and goblet squats. Sometimes I'll do goblet squats on a bosu ball. Mainly to focus more on the stabilizer muscles.